WD My Cloud Blocked my WIFI Mac address

Hi everyone,

I’ve been using WD My Cloud 4TB for more than three years, so I know this is not a user account issue. From my MacBook Air, I’m not able to log in to WD MyCloud with username and passwords(with all accounts), but except guest log in. But when I connect to ethernet, which has a different Mac address, I’m able to connect without problems. I’ve tried 10.8 ,10.10, 10.11, and 10.12, which all has the same issue, not able to connect with users, which gives me a prompt that the password is wrong (in Mac, the login window shakes). So what I’ve did is doing the system restore only. But no avail. Any suggestions?

Maybe you should try contacting WD’s Technical Support about this.

To Contact WD for Technical Support
http://support.wdc.com/support/case.aspx?lang=en

I’ll give it a shot… your wifi network is different from your ethernet network which is usually caused by a wifi router somewhere. Alternatively you are on a completely different Wifi network (maybe your neighbours) altogether from your local network.

My best guess… :wink:

To resolve, compare your ip and DNS settings for your wifi against your ethernet on your MacBook.

Hi Ralphael ,

We appreciate your feedback and response.

Thanks!

@Ralphael,
Thanks, you’re right. It’s the router settings that somehow blocked my MacBook air’s wifi. So I restore my router and config again. It works! Thanks.

I’m using Linksys router, and I heard that sometimes upnp doesn’t work on linksys. So after I do a system only restore, MyCloud isn’t able to connect to external internet. What should I do?

Couple of suggestions. One is to turn the Remote Access/Cloud Access option off in the My Cloud Dashboard > Settings, wait a few minutes, then turn it back on. Another suggestion is to access the router, reserve an IP address for the My Cloud. Then setup the port forwarding option within the My Cloud. Then access the router and enable port forwarding for the two ports selected within the My Cloud.

https://support.wdc.com/knowledgebase/answer.aspx?ID=14244

I’m still waiting to get paid with a free mirror 16TB cloud, for all the years of tech support that I’ve been providing :stuck_out_tongue: … just kidding… wait… no I’m not… well yeah maybe… :stuck_out_tongue:

Not that Bennor doesn’t provide great answers and even provides all the links, I’ll jump in here just this one last time.

The Clouds are getting smarter these days without having to port forward everything. In fact, I’ve been noticing that they have been forcing entries into the router regardless. As soon as you turn the cloud access on in your dashboard, a couple of port forwarding entries are automatically added to your router whether or not you want it in the first place.

You can turn off your cloud access and then turn it back on, which probably and logically deletes the port forwarding entries and adds them back in with the proper IPs.

However what I found is that you need to access your cloud using the cloud app locally and this somehow sets the whole thing up for external cloud access. Once you use the Cloud app to access the cloud locally, turn off your wifi and test your cloud access using your LTE to access the cloud. Hope this makes sense. If not, Bennor will find a reason why this works.

Good luck…

I believe that this first gen WD MyCloud isn’t that stable, I can setup port forwarding using auto settings in WD and no port forwarding on router. But after setting the ports 8082 and 8443 on wd my cloud and router, it takes 30 minutes to connect.

Totally agree, a bit of insanity runs through that programmer crowd :stuck_out_tongue:

Use the phone app with local wifi to connect to your clouds when you think your internal IP has changed.

I can only guess how their system works but this probably forces the cloud to communicate with WD servers telling them your WAN IP and ports.

If left alone, it does take 30 minutes to connect; which probably answers the age old questions on “why does my cloud wake up every 30 minutes” :stuck_out_tongue: when my internet was down or having problems, or when WD servers are down and your cloud thinks it needs to communicate to WD servers.

I remember a time when my logs was filled with 30 minute wake ups and I accused WD servers for pinging me at 30 minutes intervals. The most likely scenario was that WD servers were down and my Cloud was trying to make contact.

Glad to see everything is working again. My job is done here. :slight_smile:

Actually, I’ve done a system restore only yesterday because the WD Sync keep telling me that the password is incorrect. I tried to do a router restore and a my cloud restore, but I doesn’t seem to help. I’m working on 10.9 Mavericks and 10.12 Sierra, both doesn’t work:pensive:
Before I can make it work with system only restore and set up users, but perhaps it doesn’t work for me anymore

When something like your router config has changed, or the fact that your IP has changed, no amount of router restore or cloud restore will restore you; it is a totally new setup if you are using DHCP.

Don’t restore.

Start fresh and set everything up again, however don’t delete your shares as I think that would delete your data within them.

Good luck as I’ll let @Bennor, @cpt_paranoia and @cat0w take back the reins on this one if you still cannot get it going.

How would I start fresh without restore

Hi Ralphael ,

We can just appreciate your all response and time for providing your feedback and knowledge with us.

Thanks!