WD My Cloud 3 TB blinking blue light - can't excess

You can’t. the USB port on the My Cloud is for attaching USB hard drives. It is not for connecting direct to a computer. You can connect the My Cloud network/Ethernet port to a computer but not the USB port.

One generally manually updates the My Cloud firmware using the My Cloud Dashboard > Settings > Firmware > Manual Update > Update from File option/button.

If the Dashboard cannot be reached by the default My Cloud name method, try using the My Cloud IP address instead. One may have to access the local network router’s administration page to see what IP address it has handed out to the My Cloud.

If using Windows, ensure SMB 1.0/CIFS is enabled. Microsoft disables this setting in recent updates or in new installs.

If one hasn’t done so, try a 40 second reset as a troubleshooting step.

If all else fails, one can remove (shuck) the internal hard drive from the My Cloud enclosure and attach it to a computer using a USB to SATA adapter, docking unit, or spare SATA adapter. Then use either Linux or use third party EXT4 drivers on Windows to attempt access of the My Cloud drive contents.