Blinking/Flashing Blue LED forever

Hello,

I received a WD My cloud (wdbctl0030hwt-10) from a customer to configure it. The LED is still blinking blue since more than 24 hours. I read this: What Do LED Blinking White, Blue, or Solid Amber Mean on My Cloud?

Is it a normal situation ? I’m loosing my time and the customer productivity just waiting for this LED =(
Please help.
Thanks a lot for your info.

Can you reach the My Cloud Dashboard using a web browser? Can you reach the My Cloud using Windows File Explorer or Mac Finder? A slow pulsing blue means the device has entered sleep mode.

What troubleshooting steps have you tried? What router brand/model is the My Cloud connected to? Have you tried a 40 second reset?

1 Like

Why would you, as a repairman, take something in from a customer and not know how to set it up or work on it?

Why didn’t you help him or her set it up in their home?

My suggestion is if something is wrong with it ask your customer if it is still under warranty and if it is why he or she has not contacted WD about it.

just out of curiosity, how much are you charging your customer to configure it?

Thanks for your reply Ralphael, very helpful.

I think Raphael’s point is that this forum is for users to help other users, offering free advice. You want to exploit that goodwill for financial gain. I’m out…

Hello, I just want to get the customer MyCloud working… I’m trying to get it to work to avoid the customer to buy another one…

At least Bennor tried to help… I cannot reach it by Windows File explorer, WebBrowser, WD Discovery or WD Access. Its a fast blinking blue led.

It’s connected to a Cisco Linksys E1000 router. I get an IP from DHCP but the MyCloud doesn’t. I can’t see it in the DHCP client table nor if I make an scan of my IP range.

I tried the 4sec and 40 sec reset without success.

@sanch
I told you something you could do for the owner of this My Cloud. Have you talked to the owner?

The My Cloud is not that hard to setup and if the owner new anything at all about it he or she should have saved the configuration. This shows where I just recently saved mine again on my new Desktop computer.

What exactly are you suppose to be doing for the owner/administrator of the device, your customer?

Of course I have. The customer didn’t save the config. Now the problem is that the device just doesn’t come up… That’s all

@sanch

This post has been updated a few times so re-read it if you have already read it before.

The blinking blue light is indicative that it is unreachable on the network either the cable, switch, router or unobtainable IP, bad static IP, but definitely the network and not the My Cloud with exception to a Static IP of which you must make sure you do the 40 second reset correctly (optionally WD may have lied to us about the IP reset because only a few users have ever recovered from a bad static IP).

There is also the possibility of a bad Domain Server address in which is either set at the router or static, like using google DNS server of 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 which doesn’t match the my cloud DNS server numbers thus giving you a different network route.

As mentioned it is possible that the owner tried to set an incorrect Static IP on the device which is why you don’t see it on the router client list.

You will need to do the 40 second reset. This will reset the ip to DHCP.

16 AM

You have to do this correctly and I mean it takes three hands. One to hold the my cloud, one to press the reset pin continuously throughout the 40 seconds and one hand to plug the power cable in (use something that has a switch).

Once the device resets… you should find the dashboard using DNS at:
windows: http://wdmycloud/
Mac OSX: http://wdmycloud.local/

otherwise check again for the ip on your router. Do make sure you have DHCP server turned on and the my cloud is on your local network.

Optionally, try connecting the My Cloud directly to your laptop and it should be viewable immediately. If you can see the dashboard this way, check that the ip is acquired through DHCP. If you can see the device in this manner, then it is a network problem.

p.s. one more thing, some routers are known to not work with the My Cloud, use a switch in between the My Cloud and the router.

good luck…

Hello Ralphael, I have similar situation, but reset 40-sek. doesn’t help. Could you look, please.

https://community.wd.com/t/help-blue-led-blinking-very-fast-after-reboot-cant-acces-dashboard/221239

Tahnks for your replies. The 40 sec reset didn’t help either.

For both of you, after searching using google, apparently a fast blinking blue LED is not just the network as it could be just file checking. In the first gen, it would be a blinking white led, but I think that has changed on the gen 2 to a fast blinking blue led.

One of my very first problems with the My Cloud was that I repeatedly reset the My Cloud, pulled out the plug, kicked it around a few times to find that all I had to do was wait for a few hours; possibly up to a day for it to do a fsck. I kid you not. It was one of my first post on here complaining.

When rebooting, just make sure you don’t have a USB device attached to the USB port on the back. It has been known that if you reboot with a USB drive attach, it will lock up. Yup… It will despite WD never fixing that particular problem.

So your solutions is to wait for a few days. @marten, you have been hacking your My Cloud so I don’t know if you have corrupted your My Cloud or not, but here is hoping.

@sanch, try connecting the My Cloud directly to your laptop bypassing the router/switch. In this manner you can tell if the My Cloud is working as well as getting into the Dashboard to check.

Connect WD My Cloud or NAS Directly to a Mac or Windows PC With Ethernet Network Cable

if the drive is fsck’ing you may have a long time to wait (days I have heard… yes days) and it can actually get stuck.

If you can SSH into the device, see what services are running. Use
ps -A
to see the list of jobs that are running.

Good luck

Thanks for your answer. Yes, I saw the page about the file system check. Many users are waiting weeks without getting any success. I think I’m waiting for nothing. I wrote to the WD support, but they are extreeeemly slow and the warranty is going out on 19th March.

Unfortunately I cant directly connect to the WDMycloud because I dont know the IP of the device, Static or DHCP, either with the DNS name. I cant connect by SSH for same reason.

Success. I solved my problem! It was enough to turn off the UPnP settings on the router. Then the blue LED stopped flashing. I can log in to the dasboard now. Thanks Ralphael for the tips.

:+1:

You will need to RMA your device if you cannot wait till the blinking LED stops. We need @Bill_S or @Great_Scottt to step in here.

My job is done (as a customer).

@Ralphael Yes the support confirmed me the need of RMA…
Thanks you all.