WD My Book as MyCloud Single bay USB drive

I bought a My Book 4TB drive for the purpose of connecting it to my single bay MyCloud 2TB NAS as a USB drive for backups. The documentation for My Book states it’s formatted as exFat. When I plug the My Book drive into the MyCloud device the status indicator on the MyCloud device turns Red. Perhaps this is a disk format alert. What formats are allowed?

Hi @bclement3216,

If the My Book will be used on Windows systems only, reformat the My Book to NTFS. BIOS settings should not need to be changed.

Please refer to the following article Computer does not boot with My Book connected:
https://support-en.wd.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/983

As I described, I only wish to connect the MyBook USB drive to my MyCloud device as an external USB drive so I can backup the MyCloud drive directly to the MyBook drive using the Backup feature. If MyBook is formatted as exFAT by default then perhaps that is the problem. Is there a format preference when used in this manner?

In respect to time, I decided to just connect the MyBook drive to my MacBook Air to backup my MyCloud device but apparently there is an incompatibility since the MyBook device does not show up as a device and it’s not allowed to login to the MyCloud account. The import feature of the MyBook device will not allow importing of the files either. I’m perplexed that WD does not allow transferring of files from MyCloud devices to MyBook devices. I thought this would be the way to backup my MyCloud device before converting to OS5 firmware but it looks like I will be returning the MyBook device. Are there alternatives?