WDMyCloud "Unable to mount USB device" WDMyBook 4TB

I have just bought a WDMyCloud 4TB to act as a NAS, and a WDMyBook 4TB to act as backup to the NAS. When I connect the MyBook to the USB port of the MyCloud using the supplied USB 3.0 cable, I get the following error message on the Dashboard: “Unable to mount USB device” (“Unable to mount the USB device (vendor: Western_Digital, model: My_Book_25EE, serial number: WCCxxxxxxxxx). Please check the USB device.”). The USB option shows “There are no USB devices found.” There is a red light on the front of the MyCloud.

I tried rebooting the MyCloud - no improvement.

I have connected the MyBook directly to the laptop via USB and installed the Apps. I set a password, and tried connecting to the MyCloud again - no improvement.

I removed the password, and ried connecting to the MyCloud again - no improvement (again rebooting the myCloud and MyBook).

I cannot find and solutions of the FAQ nor in the WD Community.

Any advice gratefully received. Thanks

Mark

All connected to an Apple Airport TimeCapsule network, and two MacBook Pros running Mac OS Sierra (10.12.3)

Hello,

The My_Book_25EE (no power LED) is formatted eFAT.
eFAT is not supported on the WDMyCloud.
The solution is to reformat to HSF+ or NTFS depending on how you plan on using the My Book

This is a very helpful answer, thanks. I have reformatted the drive to Fat32, and it is now recognised by the WDMyCloud.

One final problem: the usable space is only c1.69 / 1.8TB (of the 4TB that has been formatted). How can I make all 4TB available. (I matched the size pf the backup drive to the cloud drive.)

Thanks

Mark

Do not use FAT32. Use NTFS if possible. There are a number of general limitations, including a 2GB file size, with FAT32.

Thanks for the ongoing help, but I am still not there yet.

I couldn’t make the MyBook work as a backup via the USB port, so I have swapped it for a Seagate Backup Plus Hub which comes formatted as NTFS as suggested in previous responses. Regrettably this is not recognised either. The USB port has worked because I have managed to use it on an old Lacie Porsche 500GB drive (USB 2). Any other ideas?

Thanks

Mark

What firmware version is your My Cloud running?

The Seagate Backup Plus should work. I use a 5TB Seagate Backup Hub Plus (purchased from Costco) with my v4.x firmware version My Cloud for Safepoint backups, and it works just fine. Have done multiple Safepoint backups to it. Didn’t have to change a thing on Seagate Backup Plus Hub drive. One thing I have found with the Seagate Backup Hub Plus is to attach it to the My Cloud or computer and wait a few minutes, sometimes it takes a few minutes for the drive to be properly mounted (generally on my computer for some reason).

I would suggest unmounting, using the My Cloud Dashboard, any USB drives. Perform a 40 second System Restore (no user data is lost) then let the My Cloud unit boot and scan. Once finished scanning then try to attach a single USB external hard drive and see if it’s recognized.

Other suggestions, make sure to update your My Cloud firmware to the latest version if it isn’t the latest version.

http://support.wdc.com/KnowledgeBase/answer.aspx?ID=13986

The MyCloud was running 2.something out of the box, and asked me to update the firmware which I did. It is now on 2.21.126. I have just checked again for firmware updates and it is up to date. The Seagate (and the MyBook before it) mounted on my MacBook Pro ok.

I am just uploading some video files to the MyCloud and so cannot do a System Restore for another hour. I will try a bit later and see if that fixes it. Thanks again for your ongoing help.

Here is what my Seagate Backup Plus Hub indicates in the My Cloud Dashbaord when connected to a v4.x firmware My Cloud…

RESOLVED:

Thanks for all you’re help. The 40-second System Restore seems to have done the trick, but revealed the absence of a Hibernate or power down function for the MyCloud running 2.x firmware!! I was forced to set the (Settings / Energy Saver / ) Drive Sleep to On, and leave it for the MyCloud to go into Sleep mode (overnight), and then cross my fingers while I removed the power cable. I then performed the 40-second System Restore and the MyCloud recognise the Seagate Backup Plus straight away.

A long journey, but everything now seems to be working correctly.

Thanks again.

Mark

[quote=“Mark_Castell, post:9, topic:196884, full:true”]… but revealed the absence of a Hibernate or power down function for the MyCloud running 2.x firmware!!
[/quote]
The missing shutdown option in the single bay v2.x firmware is a well known and discussed issue in this subforum. Use the forum search feature, magnifying glass icon upper right, to search for those discussions many of which include alternate methods of shutting down the v2.x My Cloud units.

Hi,

I have 4TB My Cloud having v04.05.00-320 firmware. I used to have 2 TB My Passport connected via USB to My Cloud and had no problem. Now I replaced My Passport with 4TB My Book (formatted as NTFS) and when I attached it to My Cloud via USB I can see it as attached but no capacity so I can not map it.

Any idea about this issue? I tried mounting, unmounting, rebooting several times but had no working solution.
Appreciate your assistance.

Regards.

Picture0002

Some USB devices have a “Convenient” false CD-rom device that presents as the primary device. I would need to see your dmesg output to be sure, but I suspect that is the issue.

You replied for me?

Sorry, but I have no suggestions, other than checking whether any settings in the “Shares” tab need to be changed as a result of using a different drive. Sorry.

One suggestion. Check the partition layout of the 4TB My Book drive. I found my first gen v4.x single bay My Cloud sometimes has trouble reading the correct partition of the external hard drive if there is two partitions on the drive and the main data storage partition is the second partition. The workaround for me was to remove all partitions on the usb drive, repartitiion the drive for a single partition, then format for NTFS. Then the My Cloud would recognize the drive properly.

Yes I did. The MyBook has a “Convenient Feature!” (ahem…) that has the device present a false CD-Rom device to the computer, which has all the drivers and other installers on it, so you can never lose it. However, this causes the device to not present properly to the MyCloud.

See this old post–

I have a solution for the problem, which I presented in that thread. Hook the drive to a Windows PC, and run the disable program. This will disable the fake CD-Rom, and then the automounter will be able to see it properly.

Specifically, the software to disable the virtual CD-rom drive can be obtained from WD here:

@Bennor
Thanks for your suggestion but I tried formatting My Book several times as a single partition and result was always same.
Actually after sending my first post, I splitted My Book as two partitions at equal sizes and My Cloud regonized them and mapped 2 partitions but what I want is to have a single partition with 4 Tb size.

Issue Solved.

I formatted My Book as GPT drive and now I can access it on My Cloud via usb as a 4 TB drive.