WD Discovery Not Installing on 2017 27" Retina 5K iMac with Mojave 10.4.2

Hello. To save some time, here are my specs:

2017 27" Retina 5K iMac
4.2 GHz Intel Core i7 processor
16 GB of memory
3 TB Fusion drive
Graphics card: Radeon Pro 580 8192 MB
macOS Mojave 10.4.2

I just learned about WD Discovery, and how it is supposed to notify me regarding updates for the “WD Drive Utilities” and “WD Security” apps.

So, I downloaded the “WD Discovery 3.2.256” DMG file and ran the installer on my brand new 2017 27" Retina 5K 4.2 GHz iMac running macOS Mojave 10.4.2".

I don’t know if it makes any difference or not, but I chose not to share app activity and crash info with Western Digital.

During the installation process, I provided my Mac user password as required.

It then proceeded to supposedly install the software. During the installation process, it said that it was importing files “from cloud storage or social media”. This took just a few seconds. I still don’t know what that was about, or why it was doing it. I downloaded this app just to be able to get updates regarding the aforementioned apps.

At any rate, I never saw any on-screen notifications that the installation had completed successfully, or failed for that matter. Neither is there any WD icon of any kind in my menubar at the top of my screen.

I also checked in my “Applications” folder, and there is no “WD Discovery” folder or app. All I see are the following:

WD Drive Utilities 2.0.5.18
WD Drive Utilities Uninstaller 2.0.5.18
WD Firmware Updater 4.0.0.13
WD Security 2.0.4.11

In my user’s “Application Support” folder, I did discover two WD-related folders:

WD Discovery - the folder is empty.
WDufu - contains a few files and folders.

I attempted to install “WD Discovery” half a dozen times, but without success. There were no on-screen error messages, and as I said, no indication that the app had installed successfully. Nothing. In fact, I even rebooted my iMac, in the hope that this might cause the WD app to “magically” appear in my “Applications” folder, or at least put a WD icon in my menubar. Even rebooting did not help.

For the record, I looked at the list of questions and answers on the “WD Discovery Solutions and Troubleshooting” page on the WD website, but I did not find a solution there.

So I am wondering exactly what is going on here. Thanks in advance to anyone who can offer some clear advice regarding this issue.

Hi! I had some problems with my two WD Thunderbolt Duo enclosures, so I asked directly WD.
Maybe their reply will be of some help to you.

Dear,

Thank you for contacting Western Digital Customer Service and Support. My name is Carlos.

We sorry to hear that you experience some inconveniences.

According to your notes, you are trying to use WD Security and WD Utilities with Mojave; Unfortunately they have not been tested with this version yet:

Mac OS 10.13
Mac OS 10.12
Mac OS 10.11
Mac OS 10.10
Mac OS 10.9.x
Mac OS 10.8.x (Mountain Lion)

Our engineers are working on it, please check further updates at our support page at the following link:

If you have any further questions, please reply to this email and we will be happy to assist you further.

Sincerely,
Carlos
Western Digital Service and Support
http://support.wdc.com

Note: If you have not visited our community forums, please make sure to do so. You may also find the answer(s) to your question(s) there. Link to WD community forums at http://community.wd.com

Thanks for your reply. However, please note that my problem is NOT with the drives themselves. They are all working just fine. Neither is the problem with WD Drive Utilities, or with WD Security. My problem concerns installing WD Discovery, which is supposed to automatically update WD Security and WD Drive Utilities.

The information you provided above is outdated. According to the WD Discovery section on the Macintosh download page, WD Discovery is supposed to be compatible with Mojave – 10.4.0+.

I am wondering if there is something else I need to install, or something else that I need to do, in order for the WD Discovery install to succeed. For example, do I need to open an account with “mycloud.com” in order for it to install properly?

I am going to send a message to WD support and see what they say . . . if they even respond.