WD Discovery is not working on M1 / Apple Silicon MacBook Air

I received my BRAND NEW 2020 M1 / Apple Silicon MacBook Air on Tuesday. Nothing was installed on it prior. I installed the WD Discovery for macOS Big Sur app, set it up, and logged in. It does not launch finder. It does not integrate into finder. it does not mount the My Cloud Home as a drive on the desktop.

The WD Discovery for macOS Big Sur app continues to work on my wife’s 2017 MacBook Air as expected.

My conclusion is that it does not work on M1 / Apple Silicon. Please fix this.

4 Likes

Same issue

1 Like

Please ensure you are using the latest WD Discovery build (updated 11/18/2020)

Hi cme, I tried reinstalling, and it says I have the latest build and doesn’t work.

I used the link you provided and downloaded it. The version was 4.2.288. it still does not work.

Please be aware that WD Discovery does not support computer systems running ARM based processors.

https://support-en.wd.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/28936

1). My Cloud Home uses an ARM processor. Wow.
2). Considering that all Macs are moving to ARM, it might be a good idea to develop a version to run on ARM
3). Windows is moving toward ARM on some versions
4). Why can’t they just enable a SMB share for cross-platform compatibility?

Please address

5 Likes

So am I basically screwed?

The least you could do is let the iPadOS app work on M1 Macs. Alas you’ve opted out, further screwing Mac users needlessly. I’ve given up on the shenanigans of MyCloud breaking with each MacOS release for months and just bought a new external drive - you can guess I went with a competitor this time.

So WD develop a version that will work on Mac OS running the M1 chip sometime soon or the are the two WD My Cloud Home devices I’ve purchased now worthless? I’m really regretting that I bought these devices instead of a real NAS.

same issue

I’ve just gotten an M1 MacBook Air and I’m in the same boat. The WD Discovery app installs and I can see the drive in the app but the drive doesn’t mount and you can’t see it in Finder. Could you please either fix this or allow the iPad App to be used?

I’ve purchased a synology NAS and will swap the HD from the My Cloud Home. The My Cloud Home (MCH) was a waste to begin with, since it’s not a proper NAS. I don’t know why they just don’t permit SMB file sharing.

To format the WD MCH HDD, you have to mount it in Ubuntu and reformat, since it uses a Linux file system. It’s very easy to do. Google it.

Rather than buy a new 4TB NAS HDD for $80-$100, this is more economical than selling it on eBay. On eBay, the MCH are going for $70 used.

Following as have same issue here - please fix or at least allow the iPad app to work!

As a workaround at the moment it seems you can still access via the mycloud website.

I have two older WD MyCloud drives which still works with my new MacBook Pro M1, but the new MyCloud Home I’ve purchased doesn’t. Why can WD not reverse engineer the new Home drives to also work like their old drives?

that is not a real workaround, because I can’t save my file, but have to upload them

The really frustrating thing about this entire topic is the answer from WD, that they do not support ARM on Mac, when You can quite easily set up TimeMachine to work as storage for your Mac on a MyCloudHome device, but you just can’t see that device in finder and WD Discovery can’t open the device. it comes down to the fact that WD feel they do not have to be prepared to support new devices that don’t include their hardware

Same problem here, I have a Macbook Pro 2018 running Big Sur and I can mount MyCloud Home. Now I just bought the M1 Macbook Pro and I’m not able to access MyCloud Home as a drive.
So WDStaff, instead of making us aware that WD Discovery does not support ARM based processors we want to know IF YOU ARE WORKING ON AN UPDATE TO FIX THIS ISSUE OR NOT?

Because all your clients need to access their drives asap and you will lose all of them as customers for now and forever if you act like this. So please update us, thank you!

3 Likes

same here.
we appear screwed.
I now have to find a new M1 compatible NAS

Apple has been using Intel X86 chips for many years. Now Apple releases a different chip architecture ARM with the M1. We should not expect backwards compatibility with everything. Yes apple emulates some x86 code… but its not a perfect, u can see it in the glitches in the games.
So try not to buy a chip with a different architecture then complain to WD when it does not work. Its Apple x86 emulator issue not the WD code that works on x86. I would think that WD would use a common platform\framework and would want to update it.

That said, WD should update their webpage for the Install WD Discovery for Mac
Saying if it does or does not support ARM on this page Software and Firmware Downloads | WD Support Release Date: 11/18/2020

1 Like