WD Discovery is not working on M1 / Apple Silicon MacBook Air

Thanks for your simplistic preaching that solves nothing. You missed the point. Happy holidays.

Can someone suggest another product similar to this WD that will work with the M1 chipset?

Iā€™ve purchased a synology disk less NAS (one drive bay), removed the hdd from the MCH, and put the WD drive in the new NAS.

You have to format the hdd to either NTFS or FAT before putting it in the NAS. You can do that with Ubuntu. You have to remove the partitions and reformat using Ubuntuā€™s disk and partition tools.

Or you can just get a new hdd.

The synology works using smb protocol, so a separate program is not needed to access it. You can use synologyā€™s iOS or Android app to access.

Itā€™s been more than 2 weeks but still no update or release from WD. I am so frustrated and hardly run my business now. please update all the WD community on the expected date of release.~~~

using My Cloud Home Duo

2 Likes

I think that would be appreciated would be some clarification of whatā€¦

Please be aware that WD Discovery does not support computer systems running ARM-based processors.

ā€¦means. Does it mean you do not support it now but are working on it or are you saying you are effectively not supporting any future mac?

2 Likes

I donā€™t know if anything changed but I purchased recently a Late 2020 MacBook Air with the M1 chip, and sure enough, my WD NAS didnā€™t show up. But after Apple automatically downloaded some extra software, the NAS popped up on the finder and I was able to mount it normally. I believe the key was the extra software downloaded automatically by Apple, and I can confirm my WD NAS is working perfectly on my new laptop.

What updates did Apple do and how did you trigger them?

Is it really a My Cloud HOME? Looks like a proper NAS Share (either AFP or SMB) to meā€¦

I had no ideaā€¦ all I remember is that I setup Mac OS and then it installed something elseā€¦ maybe Rosetta 2 but I really donā€™t know

Its not a my Cloud Home, its a MyCloud PR2100. Run OS5. My MBA runs Big Sur.

well, itā€™s not working. Just bought a brand new Mac Air M1ā€¦ and I canā€™t access my information. It has been kidnapped by a WD My Cloud Home 6TB storage system.
Donā€™t know what to do. Reinstalled a thousand times and read all existing postsā€¦ WD doesnā€™t support it. I am NOT HAPPY with the ā€œWD doesnā€™t support ARM processorsā€ or other available answers, I just want to access my cloud home storage info.
I just donā€™t get it.
WD is not giving support to ANYONE of the M1 Apple people that changed their laptops?
Do I get a refund?

thanks.

G

2 Likes

This may be a long shot, but if you can access your WD My Cloud through the webā€¦ try making sure that the AFP service is turned ON, on the Settings / Network page. Maybe that will prompt Big Sur to install that extra software that I got installed.

Hello RSTAMBULIE !
thank you for the heads up, but I think that AFP service is no longer on Big Sur, even on the My Clooud Home configuration I donā€™t find anything related to it.
I guess thereā€™s not much left to say, weā€™ll have to wait what WD says about it.

thank you!

G

Unless I am missing something here, I am sure the AFP service is integral to Big Sur. The reason I am saying this is because the other day I deactivated it on my NAS settings and Big Sur no longer recognized my PR 2100. So you might want to try playing with that if you havenā€™t already. Good luck!

Also, Time Machine is not workingā€¦

Do we know when an updated version of the app will be available?

Nothing from this endā€¦ still no update, WD sent me an email saying ā€œwe do not support thisā€ I wonder what can I do with a 6TB My cloud Home NAS drive stuck on my throat.

cheers!

G

This is so disappointingā€¦ i understand this is a new chipset, however they should at least provide some timelines around it. Very unprofessional especially from a huge company as WDā€¦

Itā€™s not rocket science though, porting the app over to ARM. Western Digital are just really really bad at releasing new code early and often to keep pace with their customersā€™ needs. Every single year, it takes them forever to even support the latest version of an operating system, so Iā€™m not holding my breath.

Looks like the issue could be as simple as WD using an older, incompatible system extension and they need to update it. About system extensions and macOS ā€“ Apple Support (UK)