macOS Monterey

The latest macOS is about to be released. It has been in beta since June. Is WD Discovery for My Cloud Home updated and able to work with the latest macOS version?

3 Likes

Hi,

Supported Operating Systems for WD Discovery application:
  • macOS 11.0 (Big Sur)
  • macOS 10.15 (Catalina)
  • macOS 10.14 (Mojave)
  • macOS 10.13 (High Sierra)
  • macOS 10.12 (Sierra)
  • OS X 10.11 (El Capitan)
  • OS X 10.10 (Yosemite)

macOS Monterey is the 18th major release of macOS, Apple’s desktop operating system for Macintosh computers. The successor to macOS Big Sur, it was announced at WWDC 2021 on June 7, 2021, and is expected to be released later in 2021.

→ Target Card Balance Now

The currently supported macOS versions are already known.

The question is whether WD Discovery is compatible with the imminent release of Monterey which has been in beta since June 2021 (Apple’s yearly announcement is well known - beta made available in early June and release in October which has been happening like clockwork for years) .

Most major software companies have already announced their products’ compatibilities with the new macOS for Day One (among them MS, Intuit, Adobe, Google, etc.) as is the case with every new release which comes consistently in October of each year.

In the past. WD has been unprepared for these releases which has caused major problems to its users (see the countless messages regarding these incompatibilities every October/November/December period). One can only hope that WD has worked on having a WD Discovery version ready for Day One which is essential for all users. Is this the case? Can this be confirmed by WD at this time? Suggestions have been made in the past that a version can’t be made available prior to the final release of the macOS. This of course seems strange, as the aforementioned software companies seem to find a way to have Day One compatibility.

3 Likes

I am on the beta and no longer can access mycloud via launcher.

2 Likes

Most likely Monterey will be released announced on Monday and will be release in the middle of this week. Where is WD Discovery in the compatibility issue?

Five days to macOS Monterey release and no news of a compatible version. The current version 4.3.336 of WD Discovery is not compatible with the macOS® 12 Monterey Release Candidate.

On the other hand, nothing surprises me when, as some other user has already commented, they did it with the previous version macOS® 11 Big Sur, I mean it was not compatible on release day, and while giving compatibility to the latest version they took it away to previous versions with some other bug.

On occasion I have thought that perhaps it would be better if the manufacturer said that this product is not compatible with macOS except by accident and so I would have bought another product that does not depend on their good work and that only by connecting it would work for me.

Maybe macOS® users are less compared to other platform users but our time and money has the same value as others.

Please use the beta period of operating systems to test the compatibility of your products if you want to transmit the idea of quality products and gain the trust of any future customer.

2 Likes

Apple generates revenue by planned obsolescence and planned incompatibility. As a stock holder, you can thank them everyday, but as a customer, it is something you accept as a cost of capitalism. The MCH was introduced in 2017 at a time when even Apple did not want to be in the storage hardware business, it is not surprising that at some point the MCH will be a legacy device with its supports dropped.

Macs removed from compatibility with macOS Monterey

Mac Desktops:

iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, Mid 2015)
    iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, Late 2014)
    iMac (21.5-inch, Mid 2014)

MacBook Pro:

MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2014)
    MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch, Mid 2014)
    MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Late 2013)
    MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch, Late 2013)

MacBook Air:

MacBook Air (13-inch, Early 2014)
    MacBook Air (11-inch, Early 2014)
    MacBook Air (13-inch, Mid 2013)
    MacBook Air (11-inch, Mid 2013)

MacBook (12-inch):

MacBook (Retina, 12-inch, Early 2015)

According to information I received from a WD senior manager, WD Discovery is compatible both with M1 Apple Silicon and macOS Monterey. I do not have the beta version installed, so I do not have firsthand knowledge of this. However, the information should be credible. Is it certain that the latest WD Discovery is not compatible with the latest RC?

MyCloud home is not working for me on macOS Monterey. Is it working for anyone else?

1 Like

WD Discovery work fine on macOS Monterey.

I’m worried about update my OS to Monterey because two years ago was a nightmare. I work with WD Cloud at every hour and everyday. So in need for more people to confirm this is possible now.

1 Like

I have to say that although a few days ago my experience with WD Discovery and Monterey was not ideal, after installing the final version of the operating system everything seems to work correctly.

I want to apologize and thank you for the good job you have done this time with WD Discovery.

Thank you!!

I had to re-download the desktop app from the website. After re-installing it I could get MyCloud Home to work.

1 Like

Has the issue of accessing the public folder via smb been solved with the release of Monterey?

Re install of WD Discovery worked on my M1 Mac with Monterey
Thank you very much for the tip

Do you use the Sync to My Cloud Home option with any of the home folder (Desktop, Documents, etc.) with the Quick Actions option when right clicking on one of these folders? I am able to Sync too My Cloud Home with all the home folders EXCEPT the Documents folder for which that option does not appear when right clicking.

1 Like

WD Discovery do not work with monterey… I have remove WD Discovery and when I have tried to re-install file from WD site I have got a crash message.

Are you running Monterey 12.0.1?
What crash message did you get?