WD cloud home 8tb went offline with solid white light, I listed everything I found

Dear all, here is what happening and hope if anyone can give idea to fix

1. Suddenly went offline, I was away for a business trip and I dont remember if I click any update from iphone app

2. I tried 40 seconds reset, it keep freshing white light over 24 hours, so I power off again

3. When it connected to the WD cloud home case, the hard disk is not operated I think, no sound at all. Is my cloud home bricked? If yes, if I unbrick it, will I lose all the files? I am Ok to lose this hardware, but I need my files

I downloaded this,
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1mL6YUzeMyvWskgzkCVPbg12XkrqxiL0x
Seems it will teach me how to unbrick, but I wont do until I confirm the data is safe after unbrick

1. I can see the cloud home device in my wifi router management with the IP end 104, and when I ping 104, it has feedback with 0% data lost

2. I took the hard disk from the cloud home case and connected to a SATA case and using paragon software to mount the driver 7.x TB to my Windows 7 PC

I see that i used 1.2 tb in a 7tb driver

but I cant find my files under my original folder structure
For example, Photo>2019>Summer trip> photos & video, etc
Instead, I am seeing those

And those ā€œdata filesā€ are in unknow format,

1. Is there any way for me to download a software to restore my files into another drive? (without WD cloud home case)

2. If I buy a new home cloud, let say 4tb and put my exsting home cloud hard disk to it, will I able to connect via official way to move out my files?

3. or I buy a new home cloud same as 8tb, and I copy the 7.x tb drive files into the new cloud home 7.x tb drive, am I going to read my files in the new cloud home?

I bought this for my newborn son and he is 14 months now, it will be super sad if I lost those files. It is like he is next to me, but part of him is goneā€¦

I am Ok to buy another new cloud home to copy my files and get it back if I have too

Anyone can share experience or idea how to fix?

million thanks

1 Like

Checked with WD HK support, they said the cloud home data is encrypted, so no way I can read the original folder structure I have

will get back for update 2 weeks later as doing the final try

Hi, they cheated, a working solution to read the original folder structure - exists. I can do it.
I can do the instructions how you can do it yourself if you have the skills.

It is possible that your device is working and just a data failure. I can check and try fix device.

1 Like

Hi, If I heard from you earlier will be good, I already sent out to their lab via Fedex yesterday afternoon

Hi! Is it true that you know a working solution to read the original folder structure of a My Cloud Home Hard Drive?
Mineā€™s bricked, so I want to recover my data and when I plugged the disk to my linux computer via SATA, I foud that the original folder structure and file names were gone, and instead all the files were named as Object ID and mixed up in a bunch of alphabetically sorted folders.

Can you please advise me on how to recover my files? Iā€™m an automation Engeneer and I work a lot with systems and code, so you can speak in technical terms.

Please help me! My files are important to get back.

Regards,

Francisco

Hi, you have to open last partition of your HDD (linux part #24 ext4)
Database with correct file names is stored in /restsdk/data/db/index.db (SQLite)
This folder: /restsdk/data/files/ - is crypted file names directory.

You can automate restoring process via # mycloud-restsdk-recovery-script

Is this script you mentioned public? Where can I find it?

See your mailbox