WD Cloud 3TB Very slow connection

Using a 2012 MAC and 2015 Mac book air the latter over wifi while the Mac has an cat5 cable through router the My Cloud comes up on Finder, but connection either through network, or via the My Cloud APP is incredibly slow and often results in failed connection. I’ve done a complete reinstall of the latest software, the devices are linked and through the dashboard everything looks fine, although the load speed for that was approaching 5minutes.

For something that is both wired and testing ok why is it so so slow. It feels like i’ve gone back to he 80’s and am working with windows 3

Using a 2012 MAC and 2015 Mac book air the latter over wifi while the Mac has an cat5 cable

MacBook Air over Wifi will be limited by WiFi speeds. So don’t expect Gigabit Ethernet speeds.

2012 Mac over Cat5 cable. What is the speed of its Ethernet port? 100M? Gigabit? What speed does the router think it has established? With Cat5 (as opposed to Cat5e or Cat6), it may not be able to establish a Gigabit link.

I have a vague recollection that Macs can sometimes decide to use Wifi, even if they have an ethernet connection. Maybe check that.

I note a number of Apple-related speed issues recently:

Thanks, My internet speed is 21mb/s not sure how to test or get the other information.

Previously the machine worked ok, not as quick as i expected, but now its like a relic. Took ages to get software reinstall to work properly too.

Have your Macs updated to ElCapitan recently, by any chance? Lots of problems reported with that, and Apple building fixes.

Your internet speed of 21Mbps isn’t a measure of your local network speed (although it shows that you’re getting at least 21Mbs over your local network).

As for other things:
2012 Mac Ethernet type: check the product spec. WiFi/Ethernet selection: you’ll need to Google: the only Mac I own is an SE20…
Router connection speed: check product spec and use router UI to see network connections and link rate types it has established fort each of its ports.

Took ages to get software reinstall to work properly too

What software took time to install? On Mac, or on MyCloud?