WD Backup: "No backup targets found."

I installed a new 1TB My Passport Ultra along with all the WD utilities on a Windows 7 Enterprise (64-bit) SP1 machine. I have admin rights on this machine.

1. It appears that WD Backup is not installing on my machine. I cannot find the program folder for it. It appears to install and shows no failure, however, I cannot find it on my machine.

2. I can get WD Backup to run when I run the install file off the drive itself however it will not find a backup target as shown below.

I bought this as a backup (as most people do) and would like to use this as a backup utility so I don’t have to think about it.

Thoughts or advice on what the problem my be for either or both issues above would be great.

Thanks,
AB

1 Like

Hello,

I recommend you contact WD Support for assistance with this issue.

I had the same problem. It seems that the standard backup utility does not work on some computer configurations (or newer drives). You have to download WD SmartWare and use that program as your backup program. WD is trying to get everyone to switch to SmartWare.

Here is the link to download SmartWare: Software and Firmware Downloads | WD Support

Smartware may take a while to load the first time, but once it does, it will ask you to make a backup, and you will be good to go.

But keep in mind, this DOES NOT FIX the “no backup targets found” problem or allow you to install the standard backup utility that comes with the drive, it is a work-around. You are simply using a different WD program to make back-up.

1 Like

Thanks for this advice. I have the same problem and have just wasted six hours trying to get WD Backup to properly install. To say the least, I am not impressed that I have had this problem; there is no mention of the issue on the WD support pages and that I have to use a work around. I hope that it works for me!

What did you do to get WD Backup to properly install? I am coming up on too many hours trying to resolve this problem and really need to talk to a WD tech person, but can’t find a phone # and there doesn’t seem to be Live Chat from the website.

I got the WD My Passport yesterday. I am getting the same issue that is mentioned above. Have anyone fixed this issue? If so please reply.