WD backup application after Windows reinstall

Hi, I’ve reinstalled Windows 10 on my computer and new “WD backup” application can’t see any plan from past Windows. It also doesn’t understand that files placed on my external HDD “WD My Book Duo” are the saved backup files.

So when I create new plan for backup, where I include the same discs as before (whole D and some files from C) it wants to backup all the huge amounts of files that are already saved there!

Also it doesn’t offer the restore option since it thinks there are no saved backups…

What can I do?

Hello,

You can restore your files manually.

There is a backup folder called “WDbackup.Swstor” and it is located in the root of your external drive.

You can manually browse for your backed up files and move them to your computer.

Have you tried following this article?

https://support.wdc.com/knowledgebase/answer.aspx?ID=12964

Hi. Thank you for your replies. I guess I haven’t described myself very vell.

My problem is not that much about restoring data, but more about continuing in backuping the data that I’ve once started to backup…
The data are on the disc D and they have never been lost, neither from D disc nor from my backup disc. Only Windows was reinstalled and now I want to go on with backuping of my newly created data on D disc.

I hope I am being more clear now.
Thanks for any further help.

Hi @ilee,

Have you found any solution to your problem?

For anyone who can help, I’ll try to describe my problem in details.

So, I have 2 different internal disks in my PC:

1. SSD drive, formatted as disk C, used for Windows and programs
  2. HDD drive, formatted as disk D, used for storing my personal data

I had my WD Backup application configured to make backups of my disk D on external USB HDD (WD Passport).

Now I reinstalled Windows. This means that I formatted my disk C. But I didn’t touch my disk D. So, even though I have fresh installation of Windows, I still have all my personal files safe on my disk D. So, I DON’T need to restore files from my backup, because all my data is already available on disk D. In other words, all files on disk D are untouched so there is no need to restore them from backup.

However, I want to still use WD Backup application to continue making backups of my disk D. But, after I installed WD Backup on this new, fresh Windows installation, it doesn’t recognise that files which are on my WD Passport external drive are existing backups of disk D. So, when I’m trying to configure WD Backup app to make backups of my disk D, it wants to start doing them from the beginning. The program doesn’t see that backups of this disk are already done on my WD Passport and it is enough to just continue them. It ignores existing backups and wants to backup entire disk D.

So, how can I force WD Backup to just continue working with existing backups instead of starting the whole process from scratch?

1 Like

same issue but still no solution.
hope there is a guide to advance, i.e. use the same pc name after reinstall window or any hints to edit the mapping hash

A quick work around:

Post reinstallation of windows as well as WD Backup, create a backup plan with the same set of configuration as you would have done earlier.

Now, open the “WDbackup.Swstor”. You will be able to locate the newly created folder (with long numeric name) alongwith the intended backup plan folder you created earlier.

Cut the “.metadata” file from the new folder and paste (replacing the older one) it in the old folder. Copy the name of the new folder, and then delete it. Rename the old folder with the copied name.

That is it, now you will be able to recover using the WD Backup.

FYI
Inside the “.metadata” file. Following two attributes will specifically change:

• “machine”
  • “planID”

By cut and paste, we are just letting the newly installed WD Backup to point towards our old backup.

Regards,
Eklavya Saxena