WD 2TB My Passport with WD TV Play

I’m interested in purchasing a WD TV Play but need to know if my WD My passport 2TB (Model# WDBY8L0020BBK) hard drives will work with it. They’re formatted in HFS+ and I dont mind using a powered USB Hub.

Many Thanks

The WD Passport should be fine … and HFS+ is supported (but, there is one provision/exception if you intend on using the media library)

http://www.wdc.com/wdproducts/library/UM/ENG/4779-705073.pdf

Page 6 :

USB Storage File System Support

NTFS

FAT/FAT32

HFS+

Page 142 : The Media Library process failed.

Make sure that:

• the USB device is not using the HFS+ file system

with Journaling enabled.

Also note that folks with lots of video media who get a WD Play are disappointed to find the Play does not play/support all media types as the WDTV Live does, nor does it use Network shares; only Media servers, so it cannot play ISO files, for example.  Do you homework comparing the Play to the other WD players that cost more and do more before you make the committment.  Check and compare the specs, etc, and ask questions here if you are unclear.

You can use whatever hard drive you want. I use a Toshiba 2TB in NTFS format and it works perfectly

blankoelnino wrote:

I’m interested in purchasing a WD TV Play but need to know if my WD My passport 2TB (Model# WDBY8L0020BBK) hard drives will work with it. They’re formatted in HFS+ and I dont mind using a powered USB Hub.

Many Thanks