VLC Media Player has complete access to my WD MY Cloud Storage Device

Good Day,

I recently discovered that VLC Media Player has complete access to my WD My Cloud storage device. Any device (smartphone / tablet) that has VLC Media Player software installed on it, once connected to my router, has complete access to my files on my cloud storage.

I am the only registered user on my cloud device, and all my sharing permissions on all folders are set to ‘OFF’.

I recently accessed my cloud device from VLC player from a smartphone (3rd party). Once you select the network option, two my cloud icons appear under the server tab, the first - WD My Cloud PnP, and the 2nd is WD My Cloud. If you select the first option, you gain complete access to my folders without having to enter any password credentials, the 2nd selection however prompts you for password credentials. I tried this test from a 2nd device and was also successful at retrieving data.

How is this happening? I would appreciate your feedback soonest. I use my cloud drive to store sensitive and confidential information for business purposes. I’ve shut-down my device until I am able to completely resolve this problem.

I am using Smartware Pro version 2.4.21.1.

Your assistance in this matter would be most appreciated.

Best Regards

Grant

VLC may be picking up the DLNA media server of the My Cloud and showing you all content in Shares that have Media Serving enabled via the My Cloud Dashboard. Or one can disable the Twonky DLNA media server entirely. See the following WD Knowledgebase ariticle that has more information on how to disable (or enable) media serving on a share and has information on how to disable Twonky

How To Disable Twonky DLNA Media Server
https://support-en.wd.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/3320

More on the VLC DLNA feature.