Video Playback and audio issues

Since the last 2 updates I’ve been experiencing some weird problems.  I never used to have problems with any video files, but now some files will not play properly.  They start and run for about 2 seconds, then get stuttery and eventually stop.  Some files don’t start at all, but I can fast forward through them to any spot, but not resume normal playback.  This is very annoying, considering that many of these files used to play perfectly before.

Another issue I’m having is with the audio.  Some files play perfectly fine, where others give the most horrendous blown out distortion, totally unwatchable.  I’ve tried switching my audio output back and forth through analog and digital modes but it doesn’t remedy anything.

I love the rest of the updates, but come on guys, you gotta keep playback solid and stable #1 before any enhancements!!!

Anyone else having these issues?

Brian

Yes, video stuttering is a known problem that was introduced with the newer firmwares. Many of us have had this problem that started with 1.04.10 and continues with 1.04.17 and 1.04.18. Many of us have had to downgrade the firmware to version 1.03.49 to get rid of the problem.

Here is a thread describing VOB stuttering problems.

VOB Problems

Some folks also had the same type of problems with mkv files.

Here is a thread describing mkv stuttering problems.

mkv problems

Brian wrote:

Another issue I’m having is with the audio.  Some files play perfectly fine, where others give the most horrendous blown out distortion, totally unwatchable.  I’ve tried switching my audio output back and forth through analog and digital modes but it doesn’t remedy anything.

I love the rest of the updates, but come on guys, you gotta keep playback solid and stable #1 before any enhancements!!!

Anyone else having these issues?

Brian

I found this old Thread

http://community.wdc.com/t5/General-Discussions/WD-TV-LIVE-1-01-11-Audio-Issues/td-p/2526

which was just closed entirely unanswered by someone of the tech staff

:frowning:

I have a Toslink Clipping / Distortion/ Buzz / Gain whatever its called since i bought 2 models of them.

Its also over HDMI Audio output. And its on 2 AV Receivers in 2 Rooms with entirely different Toslink +  HDMI cables.

I also found older reports that its results are a Level increase of the ANALOG Cinch Output in 2009 which overall increased the WD Live Volume some dezibels more affecting many Audio Files as being played overbuzzed / overgained distorted now.

It seems to be extreme on Audio Sources in Audio / Video which have a accurate 100 %  Gain Level and then sure distort if its over the curve. 

I have no idea why no one else is arguing about this Issues.

Its much more affecting listening Music.

In that attached Thread someone speaks of that the WD Live adds 6dB to  8dB  too much Gain over the Digital / Optical output which could possibly damage your Speakers.

Not nice …

I did mass tests with LPCM and other goodquality normalized Audio.

All of them were distorted, Crackling, Clipping being played on the WD Live. For that displays and to be sure the Audio i used has a perfect Audiolevel i used Audacity and other Spectral Tools Displays.

Also used a feature to detect / show distortions in source files even if they do have a accurate 100% Normalize Level. Non of them had Distortions in its Sources, perfect match Audios.

Once i removed at least -6 dB  of every Audiofile and saved again they entirly play flawless undistorted on the WD Live Players.

So its true the WD amplifies up tp +6 / +8 dB  which affects on all normalized Audio in a really bad way.