Video keeps stopping and fast forwarding on its own

hello i have just purchased the wd live plus box and i have shared a folder from my windows 7 64bit ultimate pc. Both the box and my pc are connected via ethernet cable to the same router. Sometimes when i try to access files on the network share it wont show my pc and sometimes it shows up and i can access the files and play them(mostly .avi files approx 350mb), while playing the files the box will sometimes just stop playing and drop back to the main menu and i can resume from the point it dropped, other times the picture will freeze for a few seconds and it will fast forward on its own for about 3 to 5 seconds to catch up the sound to the video. I have tried creating a new share and setting all the permissions as suggested in a number of posts but i  still face the same issues. I have setup the box with the correct username and password of my windows account so i am able to see all the files and folders on the box.  I am running firmware version 1.06.16_B. After updating the firmware i have reset the box and tried poweing it down for 10 mins but no luck.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Hi there, can you post the CODEC inside those AVI files? If it’s a codec issue then you might have to convert the files, you can get the internal info of those files using MediaInfo.

hey it says

1 video stream MPEG-4 Visual (XVid)

1 audio stream MPEG audio (mp3)

i have tried the option of selecting “play to” which appears when you right click on an avi file in windows and if i select that and select wdlive it plays avi files all the way through and no lagging or stopping, unfortunately i cant select the same option on mkv files and i recently tried playing a mkv file in the box via the network share but it kept pausing and fast forwarding on its own.

i email WD regarding this issue and they tell me to downgrade the firmware which i tried but the issue still persists and they now tell me to return the box and say its a faulty piece.

i am sorry to bring back this old post but i have just figured out the lagging issue. When i play the files via network share from windows 7 64bit on the wd live plus the files play perfectly however the min my screen saver comes on the pc the wd box stops playing the video. I have noticed the same situation if my monitor goes on stand by. I was wondering if you were aware of this issue and if there is any solution to it. I have updated the wd box to the latest firmware already.

Sounds like your PC lacks sufficient CPU resources to use the screen saver and serve video simultaneously.

You might try disabling the screen saver and just use monitor standby only, or use a screen saver that’s less CPU intensive.

umm it seems unlikely as i have a AMD Phenom II X6 1055T processor with 4gb ddr 3 ram.

silentwitness wrote:

… the min my screen saver comes on the pc the wd box stops playing the video. I have noticed the same situation if my monitor goes on stand by.  I was wondering if you were aware of this issue and if there is any solution to it. I have updated the wd box to the latest firmware already.

Think about it for a moment. How could the WDTV know what is happening on your PC? All it knows is the stream has stopped. Your PC stops the stream and you need to look there.

silentwitness wrote:

umm it seems unlikely as i have a AMD Phenom II X6 1055T processor with 4gb ddr 3 ram.

Excellent.    I have an AMD Phenom II X6 1055T with 16 GB ram in it…  Never had that issue.   But mine runs Linux.  :)

But parnot is right…   If your PC chokes the second the screen saver is on, the issue is with your PC…somewhere.  The WD can’t get the data it needs, so the stream becomes unstable.

ya i agree with that point but i dont think its the cpu its some **bleep** thing in windows 7 i tried running the same files of a laptop i have with xp on it and it works great. Going to try and setup a vmware of xp and see if it solves the issue then atleast i can figure out if its an issue with win 7.