Video files not suported or unable to seek

Hi,

Is there a way/chance you can update the DLNA software used by WDMyCloud to suport more video file formats?

I’ve encountered 2 video files (.mp4 - but I think it’s more about the codeck that was used as I have other .mp4 which play just fine) that do not play as I get “Unsuported format” error message when i want to play them from my TV.

When I go on my TV, then to the WDMyCloud input source (DLNA) I can see the files there, they even have a tumbnail but they do not play. All I get is an error message that the format is not suported. 

Also I’ve encountered other files that I can play/pause/stop but I can’t seek so I can’t skip parts of the video or continue from where I left of last time.

If i take the exact same files on a USB stick and plug it in the TV directly these files work withouth any issues, so the problem seems to be only trough DLNA.

daniels0xff wrote:

Hi,

Is there a way/chance you can update the DLNA software used by WDMyCloud to suport more video file formats?

I’ve encountered 2 video files (.mp4 - but I think it’s more about the codeck that was used as I have other .mp4 which play just fine) that do not play as I get “Unsuported format” error message when i want to play them from my TV.

When I go on my TV, then to the WDMyCloud input source (DLNA) I can see the files there, they even have a tumbnail but they do not play. All I get is an error message that the format is not suported. 

Also I’ve encountered other files that I can play/pause/stop but I can’t seek so I can’t skip parts of the video or continue from where I left of last time.

If i take the exact same files on a USB stick and plug it in the TV directly these files work withouth any issues, so the problem seems to be only trough DLNA.

I don’t think you understand DLNA.  All it does is serve the video files and the DLNA client decodes the file.  Your TV is the issue because it can’t play whatever format you encoded that video to.

• Some TV’s are **bleep** for supporting DLNA (samsung has issues).  TV firmware upgrade could fix that.
  • Codec is the issue. Reencode to the exact type your TV can play.
  • Filename is bad.  DLNA client is terrbile and can’t play special characters in filename.

Reencode those files with the exact codec/specs your TV supports.

I have a similar problem with my Sony BluRay Player.  I have decided that it has something to do with the speed of the transfer because when I copy the same files to  usb

USB memory stick, the .mp4 file plays just fine.

@ BC1111 That’s correct, I was not clear on what exactly the DLNA is and does. Thanks for the explanation, it’s clear now.

But if it works like this then I have no explanation why if i copy the file on a USB stick then it plays just fine. The same file, withouth making any change to it. While if i try to play it from WDMyCloud trough DLNA is says “Unsuported format”. It’s the same TV, and I’m also connected trough wire (not wireless) from the TV to router to WDMyCloud.

playing from the USB & DLNA are different functions/apps on the TV