Mycloud & Vizio TV Issue now

I have the Mycloud with about 1200 movies on it and the TV retrieves the movies via my wifi. The only format my TV would play is wmv. I haven’t put any movies on the box in a few years and now that I am trying to add more… the TV just keeps saying the audio and video formats aren’t supported.

I have read that the format should be MP4, H265, AAC but my TV has never played movies in that format… but it also wont play any new wmv format movies I put on the box either. It has no problem with the 1200 wmv format movies already on the box but any I try to add give the format not supported message.

I can put the same new movie on a USB drive and stick it in the TV and it will play

Help?

Without knowing the specific model of TV or what it supports one can only guess. How the TV specifically accesses a NAS like the My Cloud. Does it access it using SMB or DLNA? If DLNA then see what streaming media the TV supports. The My Cloud generally uses Twonky Media Sever as a DLNA server that DLNA clients can access. See the Knowledge Base link at the top of the page for specific articles on Twonky and the OS3 My Cloud.

The My Cloud IS NOT a external USB hard drive. You cannot connect the My Cloud’s USB port to a computer or TV. The My Cloud USB port is generally for attaching an external hard drive to expand the My Cloud storage and to use as a backup target for the My Cloud itself.

Greetings,

We have reached out to you via direct message, so we request you kindly check and reply to your DMs so that we can assist you further.

You seem to not understand the issue. I already have some 1200 movies on the mycloud that my tv has no issues playing via streaming. The problem is that NOW… any more movies I add to the mycloud WILL NOT play even though they are the same format. My question is why

Are the new WMV files you are putting on the My Cloud encoded (codec, bitrate, etc.) the same as the old movies? What program are you using to encode the WMV files?

You will likely need to review the encoding settings for what ever program you are using to encode the WMV files and change them to match the older files that do play properly.

MP4 is pretty much a standard format that most smart TV’s, and other devices can play. One can use programs like Handbrake (https://handbrake.fr/) to encode or reencode most video files into MP4 format. Check the TV manufacturer’s website (or the TV’s user manual) for the supported media formats the TV will play/support. They may even list encoding settings for various media formats.

Yes the new movies I have tried to add have all the exact same encoding etc. I have tried other formats and encoding that are claimed by vizio says works but nothing will work now.

As I have said before… I can put the exact same movie that I uploaded to the mycloud that didnt work… on a USB thumb drive and plug it into the tv and it will play. The issue is with the mycloud and not the videos.

My question remains… Why now?

Respectfully,

Richard Cabler

How is the TV accessing the My Cloud? Using SMB or using DLNA. If DLNA maybe it’s an issue with the Twonky Media Server. One can access the Twonky administration page and rescan for media content, and performs other actions. More suggestions for working with Twonky can be found here:

Other then that as a last resort one can try a 40 second reset which sometimes fixes weird My Cloud issues.

Pin Reset and System Only Restore WD My Cloud OS 3
https://support-en.wd.com/app/answers/detailweb/a_id/27402

I am using DLNA but there is no access to the twonky anymore. The 192.168.1.5:9000 page will never pull up

~WRD000.jpg

What firmware version is your My Cloud running?

Access the My Cloud Dashboard > Settings > Media and select the Rescan button and wait for the Twonky Media Server to rescan your My Cloud’s media content. Check if the issue continues. If it does try selecting the Rebuild button and recheck when the rebuild is finished. You could also try turning off Media Streaming, reboot the My Cloud then re-enable Media Streaming to see if that clears the issue. Example of the DLNA Twonky Media Server section on the Media page of a single bay (OS3 v4.x firmware) My Cloud:

I dont think it much matters anymore. I can no longer log into the mycloud app on my laptop to upload movies because mycloud says mine is no longer supported and if I open up the mycloud in windows explorer, I can only remove movies but it will not allow me to copy/paste nor drag & drop movies into it.

I am done with this thing. This is a joke. Shame on mycloud for making this no longer function just because they want you to buy a new one

Respectfully,

Richard Cabler

Can you not access the local network My Cloud using Windows File Explorer or Mac Finder? Can you not use a file manager app on your mobile device, that is connected to the same local network as the My Cloud, to access the My Cloud files?

I run an OS3 My Cloud and have no issues or problems accessing it and streaming from it using both local network computers, streaming devices and mobile devices. I drag and drop files, using Windows File Explorer, to the My Cloud without any issues from Windows computers.

The OS3 “apps” rely on accessing WD and since April of last year have no longer worked because WD has ended that OS3 mobile app and remote access support for the OS3 My Cloud devices. But the OS3 My Cloud should still accessible to local network devices unless you either have a failing My Cloud or other computer or network issues. The OS3 “apps” for Windows or Macintosh were never needed for local network My Cloud access.

Mycloud removed my account so the app is no longer functional.

Windows explorer will let me view the movies on the mycloud box but if I try to copy/paste a movie in a folder… The paste choice is greyed out and if I try drag & drop the file has the red circle with the line through it and cannot be dropped.

All of this worked a few months ago but doesnt anymore.

This is not the way to get me to buy a new one. I will purchase from someone else

Respectfully,

Richard Cabler

This is what I am talking about

Respectfully,

Richard Cabler

Are you trying to copy the file to the DLNA My Cloud entry in Windows Explorer or to the actual My Cloud Share. Typically Windows Explorer will list two or more My Cloud icons, one for the Share the other for the DLNA media server content. You cannot copy files into the DLNA section only to the Share.

Check the My Cloud Dashboard > Share page, is the Share set to Public or Private? If set to Private make sure the User(s) that have access to the Private Share have Read/Write permission to that Share. One can edit/change the User permissions for a Private Share. With a Private Share one should ensure they log into that Share with the correct User password when selecting that Private Share in Windows File Explorer.

It may make things easier to “map” the Share, if you haven’t done so already.

How to Map Network Drive on Windows for WD My Cloud
https://support-en.wd.com/app/answers/detailweb/a_id/9323

Below is an example of copying an image file (windowsexplorer.jpg) to a My Cloud Share (the main Public Share). On the right side of the image it indicates “Copy to Public”. Further the right side address bar indicates its copying into the Share named Public (> Network > WDMYCLOUD > Public).

Again, you should be able to copy files to and from a single bay OS3 My Cloud (note the My Cloud Home is a completely different device) provided one is copying into a local network My Cloud Share and has permission to write into that Share.

A My Cloud Dashboard > Shares page example of a Private Share (WD NAS Archive) with a User (Admin) given full read/write access.

Single-Bay My Cloud OS 3 Dashboard Access
https://support-en.wd.com/app/answers/detailweb/a_id/15104