Using Mybook live with Apple TV to stream music

I just bought and installed the 2TB mybooklive NAS drive.  I would like to use it to stream music to my Apple TV,

From what I understand I can’t do it directly from the drive to the Apple TV even though the drive has an “Itunes server.”  Is this correct?

Even if it is so, I would still like to stream it from the drive through itunes on my PC to my Apple TV - essentially using the WDlive drive as my music storage device instead of an external usb hdd attached to the PC.

Itunes on my PC shows the music folders on the wdlive under “shared” and I can access it in full on my PC.  But it doesn’t show up on my Apple TV.  I would have thought that it would be listed under the library of this particular computer on my Apple TV menu.

Does anyone know how to get it to work with Apple TV?  The only alternative I can think of would be import the music library into the itunes library of the computer - i.e. treat it as an attached hard drive rather than a network share.

Sviatapolk wrote:

From what I understand I can’t do it directly from the drive to the Apple TV even though the drive has an “Itunes server.”  Is this correct?

Yes and no, depends on what you mean by “directly”. If it’s on the same network as your ATV and it allows DLNA media servers then it should see the MBL after you give streaming permissions for content.

I am trying to do the same thing.  Intuitively, it seems like the sharing connection between the By Book Live and the Apple TV (R.I.P. Steve) should work because iTunes recognizes it.  There has to be a small tweak somewhere that would allow for it.  The trick is finding that tweak  

My suspicion is that is has something to do with Home Sharing.  Not even computers on the network will come up on the Apptl TV unless they have Home Sharing tuned on under the same account as the Apple TV.  Since the capability to share with iTunes is clearly intact, finding a way to Home Share the My Book Live would probably do the trick.  Since the user unterface on the drive is so limited, though, I am not sure how to do this or its equivelent.  

Any suggestions?