Using My Book Live from another network to stream video

Hi I’m new to community, just after some advice from you experts out there as i’m getting rather fustrated with the purchase of my new my book live, because I was told its one of the easiest & compact NAS Server on the market. at the moment i’m finding it ok as far as using it on my own network within the house & using the mobile app

But my girlfriend & I are finding it very trouble some using it from her home:

Problems being:

1. Using it on her pc - can see my public, shared videos but cannot stream

2. Using it on PS3 - can’t see folders 

3. Using it on ipad - can see my public, shared videos, but stream isn’t fluent - but we’ve found it easier setting up on apple than with others.

Can anyone assist?

Luronzo wrote:

1. Using it on her pc - can see my public, shared videos but cannot stream

Can you even open a jpeg? Or try copying something from your public to gf’s computer for example. Tell me what transfer speeds windows report?

1.  It’s not going to stream to a PC.   It’s not designed for that – the file has to be copied completely before playback will begin.

2.  PS3?  Of course not…  You were expecting your PS3 to connect to it over the internet?

3.  That means the bandwidth between you and her isn’t sufficient.  Streaming works fine if the bandwidth is adequate.

She said she cannot copy video file from the shared video file to her pc even tho i’ve set her up as a full access user

Hi Tony so even tho using an ipad to watch a film from my book live in her house she has to copy the selected video file to the HD of the ipad before playback will run sufficient?

Also the PS3 will not even recognise anything, firstly brings up a java oracle page and doesn’t do nothing - but i’ve been reading alsorts about access problems between a my book live & a ps3. 

Luronzo, ask her to user Ctrl+C and Ctrl+V, do not right click+copy on the file she wants to copy. For me right click on a large file causes Windows explorer to crash but if I mark the file and ctrl+c/ctrl+v windows will stay and “think” for some moments and then begin the copy process.

Hi Blitz thats exactly what she said it has been doing just crashing out on her & saying the action cannot be completed because it encountered a problem. But I will tell her to try your method of copying the file.

What about when it comes to the ipad, shes managed to get it to stream somewhat? but it buffers out

So I suggested

1. she downloads a streaming app maybe? What do you think?

or 2) Do you think she needs to copy that to hard drive of ipad before she playsback video file?

Hi blitz this hasn’t worked she has an error, 

Error 0x800700DF file size exceeds thge limit allowed and cannot be saved

Any ideas?

This is one of the “easiest & compact NAS Server” you can get, on a budget. Nevertheless, streaming has more to do with your bandwidth than anything else. For example, when she streams the file, your girlfriend will be using your UPLOAD speed, as oppose to your dodwnloads. Have you seen how fast is that?

For example, at my house, I have 18mbps downloads but only 4mbps uploads. If you were to stream a file from my house, you will be using my 4mbps speed.

Also, for IPAD and most mobile devices, chances are you will need an APP that can support streaming. Most default apps required you to copy the file first.

Just done a test and I have a few windows on browser open but it measures;

Download: 19.4mb

upload: 1mb

i get really sad when i see this kind of posts… and when i read certain answers too… like Tony’s:

1)  It’s not going to stream to a PC.   It’s not designed for that – the file has to be copied completely before playback will begin

well, when i purchased MBL it said “Personal cloud”, and when i think of personal cloud i think of streaming too… at home or remotely…

i have a rather slow connection at home, especially in upload, but since my smartphone is able to stream songs from my MBL when i am around, i thought i could stream them also on my PC… it hangs, it crashes, it stops… everything, except streaming or even downloading…

one solution i found is to make Twonky server remotely available (Twonky is the media server installed on MBL). One needs to port-forward, to tweak a bit around into Twonky files in MBL, but now i can stream any video or mp3 directly on my browser’s flash player (not IE10, but Chrome or Forefox)… without first having to download any file…

here is the link: http://community.wdc.com/t5/My-Book-Live/Enable-remote-media-streaming-via-web/m-p/457662/highlight/true#M13514

(and by the way, there is a way to stream also Word, Excel, etc… files (that is, without the need of downloading them first) directly into MS Office… again, one needs to tweak into the MBL system…)

i wonder why WD does not make these small system changes available to make life easier to its costumers…

I bought this My Book Live for the reason that I’m a busy social working professional. If I go to my partners home & hey she decides lets listen to that album you said you liked or hey that film that we didn’t manage to see. It’s convenience that I don’t have to go all the way home to put on a flash drive or sit around growing a beard waiting for a disk to burn. I got them stored on my back up & that the time I spend there too its convenience. As said it things seem to work fine on network, but she cannot download and save any files on pc laptop as it says file to big. She neverr attempted to save file on her ipad as she said it started to play but buffered out, but I will tell her to download file before playback.

i don’t even wanna get started about PS3, but if she could download a movie or music on to HDD to watch on her main tv that would be a major bonus that we could watch on a bigger tv. I know all about the certain media types it plays, but I can’t even get that to see the public/shared folders.

All i’m saying is I bought this so I could spend time at hers too, instead of her travelling to mine because I got all the so called working mod cons. I was told it could do all the above. I’m not asking to re-invent the wheel but its slightly fustrating when WD pump up the Personal Cloud aspect & i’m not enjoying these fruits it says it offers. as said on my home network its fine but if thats the case I didn’t need to purchase this item. i could’ve used a portable 500gb drive & filled it full of stuff for her & left it at her place. If So what is the point of MY Book Live?

That is too slow, 1mb uploads, not enough for streaming from your place if you ask me.

And Nicopizza, I work in the computer industry, and when I hear cloud, I think about a place to access files, just as sugarsync, dropbox, which only allow for sync, not streaming at least as far as I know. And even this can be done, but the CPU and memory might be too low on this device. What can we expect for $150.

Nevertheless, I do fell your pain, as there is not a 100% solution, or at least not an easy one, without having some tech background. But believe when I say the following, 90% of the problems, are not related to the hardware itself. It is about knowing the capabilities of it, and all of the other systems, as in this case, the 1mb uploads provided by your ISP.

Luronzo wrote:

Hi blitz this hasn’t worked she has an error, 

Error 0x800700DF file size exceeds thge limit allowed and cannot be saved

Any ideas?

Files larger than 2GB (4GB on some PCs) cannot be used.  It’s a Microsoft limitation.

nicopizza wrote:

make Twonky server remotely available (Twonky is the media server installed on MBL). One needs to port-forward, to tweak a bit around into Twonky files in MBL, but now i can stream any video or mp3 directly on my browser’s flash player (not IE10, but Chrome or Forefox)… without first having to download any file…

here is the link: http://community.wdc.com/t5/My-Book-Live/Enable-remote-media-streaming-via-web/m-p/457662/highlight/true#M13514

(and by the way, there is a way to stream also Word, Excel, etc… files (that is, without the need of downloading them first) directly into MS Office… again, one needs to tweak into the MBL system…)

i wonder why WD does not make these small system changes available to make life easier to its costumers…

The anawer is obvious.  Doing that is a HUGE security risk.  As DLNA has NO security, you’re risking your entire file system being exposed to the whole world.  It’s not good advice unless one understands the risks and knows exactly what one is doing.

Luronzo wrote:

I bought this My Book Live for the reason that I’m a busy social working professional…

I think there are easier solutions to your needs. For example a cloud storage and/or an external USB harddrive. 

My Book Live solution needs a high-speed connection to the internet and some settings to your local router are requiered.

Cloud storage also depends on the connection speed but it’s much easier to work with (of course, if you want more than 2-3-5GB storage you have to pay).

External usb HDD it’s the simplest solution. You can carry it on everywhere (there are are external drives which include 2.5" or 1.8" HDDs, so they are small). Also you don’t need any internet connections.

Again, MBL is a cheap NAS (network attached storage) solution on the market so I personally don’t expect anything from it except a LOCAL network storage and local network backup system (these were my needs when i began searching for a product). If you want more, you have to pay more (faster internet connection included!!).