Help With Streaming Video to PS3 from WD My Book Live

Hello,

I have done the obligatory search before posting this and didn’t find anything that exactly fit my issue. I am hoping someone can assist me with my issue(s).

I recently purchased a WD My Book Live NAS drive with built in Twonky media server. My intent was to load all of my video files onto it and then stream those to my PS3 (Fat 60GB edition).

Both the My Book Live and the PS3 are hardwired into a Netgear WGR-614 wireless G router.

I have formatted my video files into a format that the PS3 can read and the videos play but the sound is out of sync with the picture. Also, the video will stutter and then speed up to try and catch up to where it was. This is happening with small home movie video files. I shudder to think what my full dvd backups will look like.

My questions are:

1. Is the issue with Twonky not transcoding on the fly fast enough to maintain a smooth frame rate?

2. Is the issue with the router only having 10/100 LAN ports and thus not enough data is passing through to play the files smoothly?

3. Is there a way to install PS3MediaServer onto the WD My Book Live and run that instead of Twonky since I have heard this works much faster at on the fly transcoding?

4. Should I just store all the files on the My Book Live and then transfer them back, as desired, to my laptop and stream directly from my laptop to the PS3?

Any help or advice would be very much appreciated on this matter.

Thank you in advance for your time and expertise.

I have the same problem, I use my book live to stream all my movies to my PS3 on one tv and my wd live tv plus on the other.  The problem is every time i want to play a movie i have to rebuild the twonky server.  It is annoying.

If anyone knows how to implement a permanent fix, id be happy.  Part of me wants to find a NAS that doesn’t have this problem.