Documentation is not my forte. But here is some information about how My Cloud handles USB devices.
This script processes udev events for the addition or removal of USB devices and their
associated partitions. It only supports Image and Media Storage Class devices. For
media storage class devices, it only supports partitions with the following filesystems:
ext2, ext3, ext4, fat16, fat32, hfs+, ntfs, and xfs. The script will attempt to mount
and export as a share all partitions of supported filesystems from USB devices when
discovered. When removed, the partitions will be unmounted and their associated shares
will be deleted. For a supported USB device, record information about the device in the USB database, which will be used to obtain device information when their associated partitions are added and to report device information to the controller management client. If the device is not supported, an alert is generated. If the device supports PTP (and not MSC), also create a partition for the device.
The USB database is called AutoMount.db. There seems to be a few copies of this file in different locations. The contents of this is a sqllite format. Below is a sample of what is in the database.
As you can see from the database it keeps a lot of information about the devices that it has mounted. In this output none of these USB devices are currently mounted.
The devices are mounted to two different mount points. The mount points are defined in a file called /etc/nas/AutoMount.conf.
This is my observation. It seems that the last name of the mount point is whats in the model
field of the database.
When a USB device is mounted log entries are placed in the file /var/log/wdnas.log.
2016-01-06T16:20:23.863132-05:00 di=WfOf5hjVLP info logger: INFO: Device added: device=7, vendor=Samsung Electronics Co., Ltd., model=SM-N910T, serial_number=RF8G401RRLY, revision=N910TUVU2DOK2
2016-01-06T16:20:46.566806-05:00 di=WfOf5hjVLP info logger: updateShareBindMntDir.sh:–add SM_N910T
2016-01-06T16:20:52.560419-05:00 di=WfOf5hjVLP info logger: INFO: Partition added: device=7, partition=1, share_name=SM_N910T, label=, type=fuse.gphotofs,
2016-01-06T16:22:26.539267-05:00 di=WfOf5hjVLP info logger: updateShareBindMntDir.sh:–delete SM_N910T
2016-01-06T16:22:27.134591-05:00 di=WfOf5hjVLP info logger:updateShareBindMntDir.sh:umount succeded
2016-01-06T16:22:37.969548-05:00 di=WfOf5hjVLP info logger: INFO: Partition removed (implied): device=7, partition=1, share_name=SM_N910T, label=, type=fuse.gphotofs, uuid=RF8G401RRLY
2016-01-06T16:22:40.262270-05:00 di=WfOf5hjVLP info logger: INFO: Device removed: device=7, vendor=Samsung Electronics Co., Ltd., model=SM-N910T, serial_number=RF8G401RRLY, revision=N910TUVU2DOK2
This is the data entered into the log when I connected my Samsung Galaxy Note 4 to the My Cloud. It created a a SM-N910T directory. It tried to create a “Samsung Android” directory. But every time I did a df it would display and error “Samsung Android” missing.
This is what I have found out so far.