Update firmware WD40EFAX

Hello.
You must update firmware 82.00A82 in disks WD40EFAX to 83.00A83. Please tell me how to do this.

Why?
Usually there are no firmware updates for internal HDDs. They only do it if there is a common serious problem that needs a firmware fix but that rarely happens!

I have same question … how to do this.

The reason is:

I have 2 WD Red drives, one with FW 82.00A82, and one with FW 83.00A83.
On my QNAP NAS, the SMART Extended test hangs at 90% for the FW 82, but passes for the one with FW 83. I would like to upgrade the FW so that they are the same.

I have a similar problem! There are 4 drives on the QNAP NAS. One with firmware 83.00A83, three others with 82.00A82. The full QNAP test on passes, hangs 90%. Both firmware are on the QNAP compatibility list. Opened an application in support of WD and sent three disks for replacement by RMA.

So my disks pass the SMART exteneded test on windows… I pulled the drive out of the QNAP NAS and then put it in an USB enclosure and ran the tests with the WD windows 10 S/W. The test passed just fine. So not sure WD will give me a RMA for replacing the drive.

I also tested the drive with the latest windows10 version of smartmontools, and it passed as well. So I think the issue lies with QNAP not WD.

I have opened a case with WD and with QNAP. QNAP wants me to change F/W on the drive, but I don’t know how to do that.

Here is the WD incident
https://support-en.wd.com/app/account/questions/detail/i_id/4079547

Not sure if others will be able to read.

Burn ISO and Upgrade Firmware

Step 1

Open the file location containing the ISO that you downloaded.

Step 2

Right-click on the ISO file and then click “Burn Disc Image.”

Step 3

Insert a writable disc into your computer’s disc tray.

Step 4

Select your optical drive from the “Drive Burner” drop-down and then click “Burn.”

Step 5

Restart your computer with the disc loaded in the drive. If necessary, press “F2,” “F10,” “F12” or “Esc” when the BIOS loads to open the boot options menu.

Step 6

Select your optical or USB drive using the arrow keys and then press “Enter.”

Step 7

Follow the firmware upgrade instructions. The upgrade process will vary depending on the hard drive and firmware version