Unable to see Family folder

This supposed NAS is a fraud from the beginning. We should be reimbursed.

Does anybody have a decent NAS to suggest?

5 Likes

If you have a spare computer lying around, build a LAMP(Linux, Apache, MySql, and PHP) server and add NextCloud. Nextcloud runs a WebDav of files. You have full control over users, shares, quotas, contacts, calendars and others. For use over the internet use Let’sEncrypt for SSL/HTTPS capabilities. All directions are available online to built and configure.

From my post on July 30th: Saw this today - https://www.pcmag.com/roundup/294930/the-best-nas-network-attached-storage-devices . From everything being written here I can see why no WD product is included.

4 Likes

This is a shame. I purchased the product looking for the now missing functionality.

5 Likes

Please revert it back to where all users can see Family folder. This has seriously messed up our workflow here in the office and now scrambling to get it fixed.

3 Likes

Please make these available via desktop finder (Mac) or the file manager on Windows again. Using through the browser or mobile app only really messes up workflow for users. It’s not easy to save a file that’s easily shareable anymore into the folder from different applications. Please change back!

2 Likes

Hi I have exactly the same issue. I need to be able to share files to the desktop app. Otherwise this is not a NAS at all, and all 4 of mine will have to go back to retailer as not fit for purpose. PLEASE SORT.
YOU HAVE ONE WEEK.

2 Likes

Same issue. Just ended a one hour call with them. Their resolution was for me to give my username and pw to anyone I wanted to see the files, which then meant I would lose the ability to have my own personal folder as I did prior to the update! I asked for a refund since I was not able to share in the capacity that the device was purchased for. They would not give a refund. HERE IS WHAT THEY OFFERED: They are going to send me a different My Cloud device that has the capability of sharing the way My Cloud Home used to. I am supposed to recieve this in about 7 business days. In the meantime, they require a credit card to put $223.11 on hold until they receive my My Cloud Home device, they will then release the “security funds”. I have 30 days to return My Cloud Home. They are sending a prepaid return label for my My Cloud Home.

3 Likes

Hi! Did you get any information from them, when they going to issue new update with solution for the problem. Or maybe WD decide not to solve the problem?

2 Likes

The impression I got was that they were not planning on resolving that issue, which is why they offered to replace mine with a different product.

3 Likes

i may as well add my name to the list and yes - I am angry too. It might be slow and cumbersome but at least it used to work as we needed it to. And now---- gone.
Like everyone else here - I want it back as it was.

4 Likes

I have exactly the same problem. After updating to the latest version, the shared folders stopped showing in the desktop app !!!

Return the shared folder “family” !!!

Otherwise, return the money !!! And take this brick back !!!

2 Likes

The LAST thing I want at the moment is another WD product. I’m going to avoid their drives and suggest to everyone else in IT that I know to avoid them as well.

5 Likes

It may be the only way they will listen. Boycot WD products!!

6 Likes

After the update, the family folder can only be accessed through My Cloud Home Web and the mobile app, not DESKTOP APP!!! What’s the point to use this device then?! Deeply upset by this update and I strongly urge WD to restore the Desktop app access immediately, or I’ll consider another brand of cloud device.

5 Likes

deeply disappointed

8 Likes

Greetings from Brazil. Here at our office, We are having the same problem. We have over 30 people, including lawyers, secretaries and interns, going through this situation, which greatly hinders us in the performance of our work.
I am extremely disappointed with WD.
We will contact WD staff for solutions and, if necessary, consider the possibility of a court settlement of this matter.

6 Likes

I have exactly the same problem. After updating to the latest version, the shared folders stopped showing in the desktop app !!!

Return the shared folder “family” !!!
Please fix this

WD has had a long time to solve this, just back in the update. or you don’t want to know anything about the customers. shame

5 Likes

Greeting from Malaysia. I having the same problem here. And I can’t even move my personal folder picture to family folder now. Can we have the old version back?

3 Likes

Hi from Ireland,

We acquired the My Cloud Home and started to use it through the Family folder.
The main reason we bought it was for this functionality as we are about 8 people collaborating on the my cloud over 3 countries and we cannot rely on the web apps to work. The direct access through Windows mapped drive was our main reason again to purchase this device.
Overnight the firmware upgraded without our consent and as people already explained, the family folder disappeared for everybody except me the device owner.
This is unacceptable, and such change should be approved by your users before being deployed.
Do you realize how much disturbance and inconvenience you are causing and you are remaining silence on this page since July 22nd, which is a sign that you do not know what to answer.
We expect a fix as quickly as possible…

8 Likes

Well said, I couldn’t agree more.