Unable to see Family folder

Any update on this?

+1

Support doesn’t seem to understand “THE FAMILY FOLDER IS MISSING FROM THE MAPPED DRIVE, Z: DRIVE, WHATEVER YOU WANT TO CALL IT ON THE LOCAL PC” The web client SUKCS, and they won’t even give me a download for an older WD Discovery client version. This drive is worthless to me now.

4 Likes

I think they wouldn’t like bad publicity in specialized or general media, blog or website. Does anybody have connections? Maybe this would make them move, wouldn’t it?

4 Likes

This is the reply I received from them…

Blockquote
Dear Customer,
Thank you for contacting Western Digital Customer Service and Support. My name is Andrew.
This case is regarding the recent My Cloud Home feedback ticket you created.
After the recent update to the My Cloud Home device, some extensive changes have been made to the way files can be shared.
The previously used Family folder will not appear on the desktop app mounted drive for guest users. This will only appear for the device owner.
All other users on the device can access the Family folder from the Shared section on the web app or mobile app. They can download files from that section, or share files from their private share to be included in the Shared section.
This change is permanent, and cannot be reversed.
If you have any further questions, please reply to this email and we will be happy to assist you further.
Sincerely,
Andrew
Western Digital Service and Support
http://support.wdc.com

this is bad news, This drive is worthless to me now. :frowning:

3 Likes

I am bitterly disappointed. It defies all logic to make it harder to access the drive on a desktop, especially when the device owner can still use the desktop app. It makes no sense.

I bought the drive to enable straightforward file sharing between family members, and this change has rendered it largely useless for this purpose.

1 Like

I’m device owner. I lost a lot of files which were located in Family folder I can’t access anymore. WD offers a replacement for my old device telling me that the hard drive got some errors and this fact caused the Family folder disappearance during migration end of July. Currently I’m about to get workable solution for restoring the data. This is the story((

Really disappointing and useless update, I have 16 TB I think it’s useless now my problem now is that advises to my friend to buy Cloud Home Duo unfortunately he did and now he still stuck with us,

My question is who’s the responsible for that and why WD changed the firmware, what’s the benefit of that.
I think we lost our money because of irresponsible decision.

1 Like

The Answer from customer support is horrible, I think we might turn to the courts. !!! I

3 Likes

We’ll do the same thing
The User manual has desktop access feature
Check Capture
Check

3 Likes

Dear WD Community,

As some of you already know, we recently removed the Family Folder sharing feature on the My Cloud Home desktop app. But that doesn’t mean you can’t access or share that data! You can still find it under the “Shared” tab in your mobile and web apps. You can find out more about sharing the Family Folder here: My Cloud Home: Share Content Using the Family Folder

We’ve heard your feedback since the software upgrade and we know that the Family Folder is a well-loved feature. Due to the overwhelming feedback, we are going to bring back the Family Folder type sharing in a near future release. We apologize for any inconvenience this has caused.

Thanks,
The My Cloud Home Team”

7 Likes

This is wonderful news but please make the “near future release” sooner rather than later. We ALL understand that we can access the “shared” tab in the mobile and web apps but this is a very inconvenient way of doing so, compared to the desktop app. It would appear that the majority of users specifically chose My Cloud Home for this feature (we certainly did!) The web app version of the Family Folder does not display each file name so it is ridiculously time consuming to try to share files in this way. Removing the Family Folder sharing on destop app has been incredibly inconvenient and as soon as it can be returned the better. Thank you.

5 Likes

I am also facing such kind of problems.

2 Likes

The solution is not add Family folder back, but instead make the Shares available on desktop since you make it available on mobile and on web… But if that is not possible, return the family folder in last instance…

Use the head when “you” (WD Product Management) listen the clients.

2 Likes

I’m also have this “problem”… looks like some interships go to production team… rsrsrs

1 Like

It seems there were some updates got released in the last few days, but none of them brought the beloved family folder back

1 Like

Just got off the phone with a WD support representative. She told me that the WD Desktop App is on it’s way out and will no longer be supported/used by WD products. She offered to exchange the Home Duo product with a Mirror (Gen 2), which still only uses the web browser to access files so it wouldn’t even fix the problem.

Very disappointed. Will not be using WD products in the future.

2 Likes

Which apps they said were going? WD Discovery?

Yeah. I think her exact words were, “it’s dying” or something to that effect.

1 Like

What do you mean by " a near future release"? Kindly clarify when you will bring back family folder. I bought this storage device knowing it’s feature. I don’t know why you change device feature without hearing your client.

1 Like