Unable to see Family folder

Hey all,
I have setup WD Discovery Home at my office with around 30 people connecting with him. Overnight, some issue came up and now only I am able to see the “Family” Folder as I am the device owner. We have been receiving the messages on all invitees browsers that Family folder has now been moved to Shared folder, however they are unable to see it anywhere.

This was working just fine as everybody could access the Family folder at root through their Windows or Mac machines after installing WDDiscovery app.

Tried resending invites and a lot of other things, but could’t resolve. Please need urgent help here.

18 Likes

Hi,

Having the same issue. After the update all users lost the “Family” folder on windows/mac version.

5 Likes

The “Family” folder function has changed in the new release and is no longer seen as a folder by guest users in WD Discovery. The “Family” folder is now owned by the Device Owner and must be shared with guest users. IE: Invite to collaborate. Any folder owned by anyone can be shared now and will show up under “Shared”.

https://support-en.wd.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/27493
https://support-en.wd.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/28237
https://support-en.wd.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/3015

This completely changes how we will use this device, everyone here uses the desktop app.

Is there a way to revert back to the older software?
We would have to look for a different solution if we cannot

9 Likes

If you have a spare computer load Linux and NextCloud. It can share files, contacts, and calendars. WD has taken a huge step backwards with this upgrade.

5 Likes

Hi again,

We want the shared folders to be visible in the desktop app.
This new update makes the shared folder only visible when using IOS, Android or mycloud website.

Please fix this issue asap.

9 Likes

I get the feeling that WD likes to give something to users so they can take it away when users start depending on it. The ‘Family’ share is a classic example. My wife and I used it every day so guess which item they took away to add ‘Album’ support.

6 Likes

So basically it is happening with everyone that means this is not a bug.

Do we have anyway we can map the shared folder on our computers as a network drive/path? We tried couple of techniques but were not successful.

3 Likes

In our office we have the same problem. With old version of software all works perfectly, now is a nightmare!!!

We have problems also with web application because in “shared view” we can’t see the list of files but we have only the icon view (without single name of file).

There is a workaround to come back to old version???

Thanks!!

7 Likes

Please fix this ASAP because the current release is not useful anymore and it has created loads of problems for my company. We didn’t buy your product, so we could only properly use it via mobile app. When will you fix it back to the way it was?

6 Likes

I have exactly the same problem. After updating to the latest version, the shared folders stopped showing in the desktop app.

Please fix it ASAP, or provide us a way to revert to previous release!

4 Likes

WD, please bring back shared folder option for desktop users. If this is not resolved, I’ll have to find another backup solution.

4 Likes

They need to not call this a NAS as it now runs. They should call it a NAPS (Network Attached Personal Storage) and get rid of multiple users in current configuration. The acronym also applies to what WD employees must be doing with this product!!!

6 Likes

I have the same problem, sharing about 2TB of file how can we use the Online apps to share, is there a way to reverse the update manually, we do not need the new update at all!

4 Likes

What WD did (remove the Family folder from Windows File Explorer) is unfair and make impossible for my family (parents and kids) to share documents as we were used to do. WD please bring back the shared folder(s) to Windows.

5 Likes

Saw this today - The Best NAS (Network Attached Storage) Devices for 2023 | PCMag . From everything being written here I can see why no WD product is included.

4 Likes

Greetings from Germany. Have the same problem with my family and all the work stored. This update behavior of WD is completely inappropriate. They should have at least announced this update. However, it removes a basic functionality that led to my purchase decision, among other things. It has to be rolled back urgently. Alternatively, there must be another way to manage shared folders in the File Explorer. I have already opened a ticket to which I only get standard answers and no explaining or apologizing answers. The device is not cheap and as a customer you expect a better update strategy. You expect functions to be added and not removed!

7 Likes

I spoke to support directly and only got “We’re sorry, there’s nothing we can do, but we’re here to help so please call us again if there’s something we can help you with”.

Absolutely useless. This update removing shared folders from the desktop app made this drive/service next to useless to my family and I. Looks like I’m going to have to bin this drive and build my own NAS system from scratch afterall.

6 Likes

I am device owner. After 4 days of migration I don’t see the Family folder anymore which important files were locaten in. Currently no clear answer from WD what I have to do to get my files back. Does anyone have same problem and may be a solution?

3 Likes

Yesterday I spoke to a very friendly support agent on the phone and told her about my concerns and problems with the last update. She responded in a very friendly way and told me that a lot of people were contacting WD and that they were frustrated. She told me that the technician team is allegedly working on a way to get the Family Folder back. How long this will take, however, cannot be predicted. I therefore think that WD is playing on time here in the hope that the people will arrange themselves with the mistake. In my opinion this is the wrong way to deal with customers. For my part, I will call WD again next week and complain.

6 Likes