Unable to conduct bulk data transfer to WD My Cloud

I am unable to complete any bulk data transfers to my WD My Cloud. Every time I attempt to move more than a file or folder of more than a 100MB or more at a time through my computer, the process hangs. It’s not a matter of it being slow; the process always fails to complete.

I have had some success moving up to 30-40GB of movie and digital photo files at a time from an external HDD directly to the My Cloud Drive via USB 3.0. However, those files were in folders that did not contain any subfolders. My task is to move 500GB of music in thousands of folders to the WD My Cloud. If I cannot move more than a folder or two at a time, it would take weeks to migrate that data.

I have tried to copy and paste through Windows Explorer to mapped drives on My Cloud, and I have tried to copy and past using the WD Cloud browser interface. I have tried to move data from HDD through my computer, connected directly to the WD My Cloud, and from my computer internal drive to the WD My Cloud.

I contacted the WD technical help and they told me that they did not think it was a problem with the WD My Cloud because I was able to transfer some data. I called the Microsoft techical assistance and was told that they think it has something to do with the lack of memory on my computer. (I have a Sony Vaio, Intel i3, 2.27GHz, 4 GB of RAM).

Otherwise, the WD My Cloud is functioning as advertised. It streams like a champ and is fully accessible.

Can anyone offer any other suggestions I might try before I give up?

Wired or Wireless?

If wired, what is your network card rated as?  (10/100 or 10/100/1000)

Router/switch are rated for what speed?

Firewall blocking transfers?

I take it you are using windows sharing (SMB).  You may want to try NFS.

http://community.wd.com/t5/WD-My-Cloud/Semi-advanced-Guide-to-getting-a-running-start-setting-up-My/m-p/836089

1 Like

Thank you for the reply.

My connection is wired. My ethernet is a gigabyte card and my router is 10/100.

I have turned off my antivirus and it makes no difference.

I am loath to take the SSH approach quite yet, as I’m not convinced the problem is with the WD My Cloud drive. I would be happy enough with the upload speeds I have achieved if I could just get a transfer to complete.

Yadernye wrote:

Thank you for the reply.

My connection is wired. My ethernet is a gigabyte card and my router is 10/100.

I have turned off my antivirus and it makes no difference.

I am loath to take the SSH approach quite yet, as I’m not convinced the problem is with the WD My Cloud drive. I would be happy enough with the upload speeds I have achieved if I could just get a transfer to complete.

(500 gigabytes) / (100 Mbps) =

11.1111111 hours

(500 gigabytes) / (40 Mbps) =

1.15740741 days

Upgrade your router to gigabit.  Best to average case above.

I suggest the best router you can afford with 802.11ac.

Posted by,
cat0w (USA)