WD software and My Cloud

I am SO disappointed with WD. I purchased a 'My Cloud, and what a useless pile it is. The software supplied is sketchy to say the least. What’s the point of usb3 when transfer rates are painfully slow? The only way to transfer (successfully) is via the network?? No where near as good as my other NAS. Last time I purchase WD.

Have you read the My Cloud User Manual (http://www.wdc.com/wdproducts/library/?id=439&type=25) to learn about the features of the My Cloud and how to use them?

How were you expecting to transfer data from a USB hard drive attached to the My Cloud?

What program are you using to transfer the files to/from the USB hard drive attached to the My Cloud?

Is the external USB Hard drive a USB 3.0 drive or the slower USB 2.0?

If one does a subforum search, via the magnifying glass icon upper right, one will see that USB copying speed using the USB port on the My Cloud is a common complaint. Some have even posted bench marking results to show their speeds.

The My Cloud User Manual recommends in Appendix C that if one is transferring more than 50GB of data from a USB hard drive to the My Cloud, to connect the My Cloud to a computer that is connected via Ethernet wire to the same router the My Cloud is connected too.

There is even an unofficial FAQ of sorts on general copying speeds with the My Cloud.

https://community.wd.com/t/before-you-pack-up-your-wd-and-return-it-lets-talk-about-copying-speeds/91887

1 Like

I was expecting to be provided with some software from WD and I was. I used the WD ‘desktop’ app and it even failed on a single 1.5 gig file. I (foolishly) tried initially to transfer multiple files only for the software to fail (again). Of course I have a USB 3 drive or why should I complain about the speeds?? If it’s a common complaint , then WD should have rectified it in it’s firmware release. The reason for buying Usb 3 is to enjoy the faster transfer speed. Copying from an external source is a MUST for a NAS and I have absolutely no problems with my D-Link Nas doing this hence my disappointment with this item.
I have read the manual and followed it’s instructions. The suggestion about connecting the ethernet cable seems self defeating as you are again going down the route of network transfer and not Direct from the Usb 3. Thanks for your suggestions but I will not be happy until the Usb 3 transfer speed can be achieved eg 5gbps (640MBps) as it should connected directly with good embedded software/firmware.

You’d better speak to WD, then. There is nothing us users can do for you, apart from tell you our workarounds, and not to use any WD software except for when accessing remotely.

Why were you expecting to be provided with software? Typically one shoudn’t need to use any software other than Windows File Explorer / Mac Finder or similar file manager to access and copy data to/from the NAS. Generally the WD provided software is needed only for remote access/remote syncing/or sharing of files to remote users.

What OS was the Desktop software installed on? Windows or Mac? What OS version? Where you using the Desktop program on the local network to copy files or via a remote connection on a remote network?

We can only go by what you have indicated and your initial post was lacking clarity/details on what specific USB hardware you were using. The dirty little secret is even though a USB hard drive (or the My Cloud) is “advertised” as having USB 3.0 support that doesn’t mean one will actually achieve full USB 3.0 speed. Often there are various hardware issues including the hard drive itself that can introduce limits on how fast content can be transferred through a USB 3.0 or Gigabit networking connection.

USB 3.0 is just a hardware protocol/standard, it means the hardware is potentially capable of reaching the speeds the hardware protocol/standard is designed for, not that it is guaranteed to actually reach those speeds.

And what will you do if it is a hardware problem either with the USB hard drive OR the My Cloud that is preventing reaching the “advertised” speeds of the USB 3.0 standard?

What brand/model USB hard drive are you using? Have you checked online to see what others are getting for bench mark speeds with the drive?

As a general comment, people when buying the singe bay My Cloud units often tend to have what are sometimes unrealistic expectations of a entry level low cost NAS. They expect a low cost NAS to have the features/hardware of more expensive models. The reality with the single bay My Cloud units is that one is buying a hard drive + entry NAS for roughly $40 US dollars more than the hard drive itself. As such some expectations will be very unrealistic in light of what is essentially a $40 NAS enclosure. Most NAS enclosures run significantly more than $40 from reputable manufacturers. But then their hardware and features are often better than the single bay My Cloud units.

YES I am disappointed with the My Cloud despite it’s price. As for your ‘dirty little secret’ theory it is stupid. When I buy tech I expect it to do what it’s supposed to do AS ADVERTISED or it goes back… My drive/OS are fine and they bench fine on my laptop… As some one said ‘you’ll need to talk to WD and not us users’ which is correct. I don’t want a ‘work around’ on a new item I’ll just box it up, return it and buy another NAS that works as it says. I am a senior server/network engineer (I know about hardware and networks)and I really don’t find your posts helpful so please do not respond again

absolutely correct Capt

We’re not psychic…

Can you point to the advertising that specifies the sustained USB3 transfer rate you expect to get?

It is a USB3 compliant interface; it supports the USB3 protocol. What it can’t do is support the sustained maximum USB3 data transfer rate. That’s true of many USB3 memory devices (cf any of the USB flash drives).

I would hope to get the same sustained transfer rate as the MyCloud achieves when writing to its disk, assuming the USB HDD is up to it. But it doesn’t, IME, get anywhere near that (I think I measured about 4MB/s, using a linux cp command, although I probably should have used dd). So I simply don’t bother; the USB port wasn’t high on my list of requirements, but it might be for you.

By all means, take the thing back if you’re not happy with it. We don’t care either way.

Then take the device back if you are not satisfied with it or it doesn’t meet your expectations.

Its not stupid its reality. Where is it advertised that you’ll be guaranteed USB 3.0 or Gigabit speed with the My cloud? Or does the product/marketing say something like “up to the maximum speed” in very fine print?

Here is an example, using a Toshiba Canvio 1.0 TB USB 3.0 drive with a Toshiba P755 series laptop with a USB 3.0 port. That USB 3.0 drive averages a read/write benchmark (using Crystal Mark) of 69 MB/s. That is a far cry from the USB 3.0 specification of 625 MB/s. There is real world and then there is marketing/engineering specifications. Sometimes they don’t match.

Then box it up and return it if the unit doesn’t meet your expectations.

Sorry you don’t find my posts helpful. Perhaps if you came here actually looking for help rather than just complaining about the product you might have found some useful help or information from the users in this forum. Perhaps if you post more information about your specific issues with the My Cloud including; how you were copying (commands used), the name/brand of the USB hard drive, My Cloud firmware version, etc. users here can or could have been more helpful. There are quite a few users who are here on their own time and expense here who have decades worth of computing hardware, software, and networking experience yet have trouble with the My Cloud. One can choose to seek their help or not. If not, then then I wish you luck either solving your My Cloud problems on your own, or finding another device that meets your expectations.

Most here are not WD employees or staff we are simply users like yourself who came to this subforum seeking help or solutions to various My Cloud issues we were experiencing and have stayed to help or assist others.

then stop replying

Hi,

Please keep it friendly, WD Community users are here to help each other.