Trouble with some videos in LG SmartTV (WebOS)

Hi there!

With my MyCloud 2TB wired to my home router and my LG SmartTV (43LF630V) also wired to that router, I use the enclosed app SmartShare to view media from DLNA devices connected to the same network as the TV.

I sucessfully have access to all the pictures and videos stored in MyCloud but some videos (movies), although display correct thumbnails, when selected to play return an error message that I translate to something like this: “Unable to play. This file can’t be recognized.”.

Some of the videos that don’t play are format *.mkv or *.mp4, as well some of those who actually play right are in both those format, so we can rule out extension or format problem.

The funny thing is that those same files, if using a USB storage plugged directly to the TV, play perfectly without any trouble or hiccup, which leads me to exclude file formatting or encoding as the cause and leads me to believe that the problem resides somewhat in MyCloud.

Anyone having had similar problems or could hint a solution? Thank you all in advance.

MP4 is just a container file. It could be the encoding codec isn’t necessarily supported by the DLNA client on the smartTV. As a troubleshooting step, try reencoding the media file using a encoder/converter program. Handbrake (https://handbrake.fr/) is a free program that is popular for converting media to readable MP4 format.

1 Like

@Bennor And could it be why the same movie is played when in a plugged USB drive but not through DLNA?
If so, what type of reencode should I do?

One can still use MKV or MP4 just try using a different encoder. My Roku has problems from time to time playing certain videos even though they play fine on my PC using VLC. I reencode them using Handbrake and my Roku can play them fine. Reencoding is just a troubleshooting step to rule in or out the encoding of the video file.

1 Like

Thank you for your help, @Bennor !
I’m already within Handbrake, now how can I identify the type of encoding that the video has and what kind of encoder should I try with?

In the meanwhile, I found out that I could get to know the encoding present in each file with VLC player. And the truth is that both the movies that work in my TV have the same encoding as the ones which don’t.

Does that change anything in this context?

Just run the media file through Handbrake as a test. Don’t worry about trying to find the right setting, just select Normal from the preset (if it is available). Generally Handbrake defaults to using H.264 (x264) on the Video tab for MP4 files.

1 Like

Hi, Bennor!
Once the video was already encoded to H.264 and I’m quite a noob at this stuff, I’ve reencoded it with Handbrake to H.265.
It took me 2 hours in a powerful computer, but the truth is that the TV now plays the reencoded video perfectly!

• Did I do anything in wrong in this process? Should I keep reencoding to H.265 or that was unecessary?
  • Once it’s a bugger to check individually if the video will play in my TV and then wait until the next day to have my computer to reencode it and then transfer it back to MyCloud (being that MyCloud and my computer aren’t near each other), is there any other way to assure myself, analysing the file, which videos will play on my TV and which won’t?

Thank you so much for your help, my best regards.

While one can use various programs to check the media file properties (like MediaInfo) sometimes there is just no way to know if the file plays properly until the file is played with the DLNA client.

Unfortunately re-encoding can sometimes take a very long time depending on the settings used by the encoding program. One solution is to use another media player device (like Kodi) connected to your TV that may offer a media player that supports more formats and encoding codecs.

1 Like

Well, actually I bought this NAS specifically so I’d have a media center for my videos (family moments - there isn’t a single one which plays :pensive: ) and movies that I could play in my SmartTV, so, having a 3rd device is somewhat sperfluous for me - although I note the kindness and accuracy of your advice!

Is there any way I could update the DLNA client of my TV or I’d just have to wait that LG would do it someday or it depends on the hardware, so it would never be changed?

That’s the problem with ‘smart’ TVs; they’re not very smart.

They are often closed systems (e.g. WebOS), with only a few apps available, that aren’t upgraded, running on a very limited processor, often with an unusual architecture. So you’re stuck with what you bought, or what the TV vendor decides to upgrade, or stop upgrading when the model is replaced. It’s not a problem with the NAS; that’s just streaming the media. It’s a problem with the poor video client on the TV.

That’s why I prefer a dumb TV and cheap Android media box, using an established processor architecture, having access to the full Play Store, with apps that are regularly upgraded, with excellent CODEC support, such as Kodi and VLC.

1 Like

I totally agree with you. They’re somewhat dumb, but nowadays you can’t buy a big screen that isn’t a Smart TV.

I’ve already mailed LG to request a DLNA client update. I know it will be worthless, but they advertise network media sharing, so they should comply with that. At very least I’ll make pressure on them.

Thank you all for your assistance and I’ll keep you posted in case of any updates.

Agreed; I said something very similar on a different forum yesterday…

It doesn’t stop you using an external smart box; just don’t use the internal ‘smart’ features.

1 Like

Of course it doesn’t, it just seems superfluous. Like buying a car and then buying another car to tow that car.
When promised network media sharing, the TV vendor should comply to that.

Unfortunately, the 2-year warranty has already passed; otherwise, according to the EU law, I’d resolve the deal and demand a new TV.

Anyway, I’ll make some pressure with LG demanding a solution and there may be some legal solutions to oblige them to solve this. Anyone in the same situation please let me know, so we’re together.

Agreed. But I suspect the smarts may be provided as an inherent part of the TV, which, these days, is essentially a special-purpose computer. So adding a network port and a few apps doesn’t add hugely to the cost. It will be part of the core TV design, which is rolled out across a whole family of models.

My Sony TV has a network port that neither I, nor Sony Support can identify what it’s for… the TV has no smart features, but it can connect to my router and get an IP address. It also has an analogue tuner, which is useless in the UK, and a CI card slot that I don’t use.

I think you would have struggled to get a new TV under EU consumer law, even within warranty, for a minor failure like you’re seeing.

Have a search of this forum and the internet for fellow LG owners; I’m sure you’re not alone in having trouble with playing some files.

1 Like

According to EU Directive 1999/44/CE, Article 2, goods must comply with advertised as such, specifically “comply with the description given by the seller”, to be “fit for any particular purpose for which the consumer requires them”, and the consumer has the right to have “the contract rescinded with regard to those goods”. It all comes out to the point of proving it is a minor fault or not, for me it’s a major one. I wouldn’t bother you guys with minor issues :wink:

About other LG owners with this trouble, trust me that I thoroughly searched and browsed before creating a new post and didn’t find one with the exact same problem and/or a solution, hence I’m trying to pave way for everyone.

To everyone, mostly those who were so keen to help me and generally those who may feel these problems, I have a few updates on this.

I’ve prompted LG on the matter and they’ve looked into my question, asking me to provide them the infos on the files that don’t play (extension and codecs, both video and audio). I’m currently awaiting their next move.

In the meantime, I’ve arranged a workaround. Using Bubbleupnp in my Android device connected to the same network as the NAS and the TV, you just have to choose the TV as renderer and then select the file you want to play. Works flawlessly (through SmartShare TV app, the same that won’t read most of them through DLNA) and work subtitles. It’s an almost perfect solution.

I’ll keep you posted!

That’s interesting. If you’re using Bubble purely as a DMC (telling the MyCloud DMS to stream to the LG DMR), then it seems odd that the SmartShare app DMR will correctly render files that it refuses to play when driven by the SmartShare app’s DMC UI…

Which suggests that Bubble may actually be transcoding in your video files, before sending them to the TV. May be worth looking at the CPU usage on the Android device whilst you’re streaming these videos, and at Bubble’s transcoding settings.

1 Like

It’s rather odd, indeed. Once I’ve managed to do it through Chromecast, and the TV appeared as another possible renderer, I though: why not give it a try? I believe I got more stupidified than if I never tried…

It seems to me that actually it’s working as you say, Bubbleupnp merely as a DMC to cast MyCloud contents to the TV’s SmartShare app. I’d like to find out whether Bubble is transcoding the videos before casting them, just out of curiosity, is it possible?

In the meanwhile, another curious thing happened. I took chance on a crazy early Black Friday promo and bought a new LG OLED, sporting WebOS 3.5, and of course that the first tryout would have to be the videos stored in MyCloud. I didn’t manage to find the SmartShare app, to discover that now videos and pictures in connected devices is played through “Photos” app (seems legit :open_mouth: ). As you might have already guessed, everything runs smooth and perfect.

I’m having the exact same issue and its not only via mycloud. Same thing happens via synology nas (ie video file plays perfectly fine when plugged in directly to tv but no luck when streamed via DLNA). I own the LG 55EG920T updated to latest software (4.25.70). So not sure why DLNA client cant recognize file! Of course I can workaround this via plex app but that means that video is being transcoded (which i dont want because video loses some of it’s original quality). Please let me know if anyone managed to find a way to work directly via DLNA.