Transferring files from MyCloud OS3

Hi all

After repeatedly being told that WD was not going to support MyCloud ver 3 I bought a new My Cloud Expert Series EX2 Ultra. I went into their useless support portal and asked HOW do I transfer my files from one to the other. They responded with some nonsensical thing about mapping something.

What I want to do is a simple drag and drop like I used to put the files into the MyCloud in the first place

When I click on a file to drag it, it opens, this will take me a year to transfer all at this rate.

I would appreciate it if someone could give me very simple sequential instructions, as I am not a computer geek. Please use simple terms not computer jargon.

Assume I know nothing, just as I would assume you know nothing about rebuilding a 1952, 4 cam, 6 carb, Ferrari.

That is one way to transfer the files. Drag and drop from one My Cloud to another using a computer. Make sure all three devices are connected to a Gigabit capable router and that the computer is connected using Ethernet and not WiFi to the router. Other methods are more complicated.

Bennor

Thank you for the response, so what you are suggesting is that I set up my New, My Cloud Expert Series EX2 Ultra and keep my old MyCloud at the same time to my router and then to my computer.

Then hook my computer directly with the wire that looks like a phone connector but bigger, I assume that is an ethernet connector.

Then I open them both up and drag and drop the files. I assume I can do this by wifi but it would just be slower

Yes. This assumes the computer has an Ethernet port that is also Gigabit capable.

There are other ways to transfer the data but it will involve either the use of an external USB hard drive that is large enough to hold the data from the old My Cloud. Or using other methods like SSH to access the old My Cloud to copy file across the network to the new My Cloud. No matter which process one uses, it generally will take a hours to copy a large (multi TB’s) from one My Cloud to another or to a USB hard drive attached to the My Cloud.

Depending on the OS3 My Cloud model it may be possible to use the Safepoint or Backup feature found in the OS3 My Cloud Dashboard to initiate a backup to the EX2 Ultra. After such a backup was performed one would have to move the user files from the backup location on the EX2 Ultra to the Shares you want them to reside in (using drag and drop from a computer). See the My Cloud Knowledgebase for more assistance on how to perform a Safepoint or Backup to another My Cloud. Just a few relevant articles.

https://support-en.wd.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/22015

https://support-en.wd.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/17202

Note: If one has a second generation single bay My Cloud that runs OS3 v2.x firmware one can update that My Cloud model to OS5. See the following article for more information about OS5 supported devices.

Bennor thank you for your help, but If I asked you, what intake cam timing would you prefer for a 58 Ferrari 250 GT, 263 degrees After TDC or 258 @ .050 of lift, I assume that you would be as baffled as I am about computer jargon.

My Laptop has a HDMI, and 2 USB ports. The rest of your answer was in Egyptian hieroglyphs. IDK how I would begin to perform a safe point transfer cloud to cloud.

I opened one of the links and it tells me how to create a safe point,OK that’s good, The second link tells me

My Cloud OS3 and My Cloud OS5 Remote Backups are not compatible.
The following instructions and information are NOT applicable to My Cloud OS3.

But MyCloud is an OS 3

So I guess that I need to boot up my new MyCloud Ultra and just drag and drop!

Your response is quite confusing. Presumably you have a router with 4 ethernet ports(?) just connect both your NAS boxes andyour laptop to the router (the laptop can be connected via wifi). Then drag and drop the FOLDERS from the MyCloud to the EX2 Ultra.

It will take some time, depending on the size of the folders but you should only have to drag and drop 3-4 folders.

Just drag and drop the files after you get your second My Cloud setup.

If its too slow for your liking then you will have to investigate your network setup and network hardware capabilities to determine if there is a bottle neck that is slowing things down beyond the normal time it would take to copy large amounts of data across a local network.

Other options for data transfer, which may be faster, have been presented, one can choose to use or try them or not.

I get it that my response is confusing to you, just like the computer jargon that’s used in computers is confusing to me. I don’t get all the acronyms like NAS, SSH, TB’s etc. I have to look that stuff up and it gets very tedious. Thats why I asked for the instructions in simple terms, no jargon.

My Router has 4 + ports, so I will set up my new EX 2 Ultra and try to drag and drop, but when I try to drag and drop from the MyCloud to my Laptop I get a prompt to download the file, not drag and drop.

Is it going to be different with the EX 2 Ultra?

Is there some sort of permissions I need to be able to drag and drop?

OK. . . .TAKE A DEEP BREATH.

The WD MyClouds are considered to be NAS (Network Attached Storage)

First - - -How much data are we talking? A few hundred gb or a few Terrabytes? (in other words. . .how big was your old MyCloud. . .and how full was it?)

Second: Now; functionally; the new NAS and old NAS will work the same. . . if you are getting a prompt to DOWNLOAD a file. . . .this sounds like you are using a web app and not windows file explorer. You want to use windows file explorer. Open this by going to the application search bar (bottom of screen? Next to Windows Start button) and type file explorer.

Third: The EASIEST way to transfer data is to use a straight Windows Drag&Drop. You attach the new NAS to the Network just like the old nas; and you can access both at the same time. (The NAS should be attached with one cord to a power plug, and another cord (ethernet cable - -the one with the big phone like plug on it) to your router.

Fourth: Drag & Drop is easy . . . .BUT it requires a computer. If that computer is laptop and connected wireless (wifi); this will SLOW the process to a CRAWL (we are talking DAYS and DAYS). What my buddies fail to recognize is that no laptop in the last five years comes with an ETHERNET connection on it.

At this point . . . you have a few choices. The EASIEST is to go buy a USB ethernet jack like this: Real basic Jack

With this jack, you can take an Ethernet cable from your laptop to your router. . .and the job will take HOURS and HOURS. . but it will work and be effective.

So you will have THREE things plugged into the router - - - Old NAS, New NAS, and Laptop

Fifth: Don’t copy EVERYTHING at once. Do it in a few chunks.

1 Like

@nick56
If you look at your other topic on this, I showed you how to drag and drop. It should work for you.

Swapping files from my no longer supported MyCloud - My Cloud Home - Personal Cloud Storage / My Cloud Home - WD Community

Another suggestion. If all this “jargon”, “acronyms” and “look stuff up and it gets very tedious” is too much for you or beyond your capabilities; why not ask a family member, friend, or neighbor who is knowledgeable about computers to setup the new My Cloud EX2 Ultra and copy the files over for you. If you don’t have a family member, friend or neighbor available there are paid computer service businesses in most towns/cities/locations that will have someone come to your home or business and assist.

If you are being asked to “download” a file while attempting to drag and drop it, that likely means you are not accessing the My Cloud using Window File Explorer.

How to open File Explorer on Windows 10
https://www.windowscentral.com/how-open-file-explorer-windows-10

Also note that the My Cloud EX2 Ultra is not like a My Cloud Home if that is what you currently own. The EX2 Ultra will have a whole host of different features and options including the My Cloud Dashboard that the My Cloud Home does not have. This is because the My Cloud EX2 Ultra is a much more capable device than the My Cloud Home is. If one is buying a My Cloud EX2 Ultra, one should take the time to read the My Cloud EX2 Ultra User Manual. It explains in general terms how to use the device. Because the My Cloud EX2 Ultra may come out of the box with OS3 operating system before it updates to OS5 operating system both User Manuals are listed below:

My Cloud OS 5 User Manual (HTML)
https://products.wdc.com/nas0s5/nasum/en/

My Cloud OS 3 User Manual (PDF)
https://products.wdc.com/library/?id=1512&type=25&cn=4779-705148&lang=en

The Quick Installation Guide for the My Cloud EX2 Ultra:

My Cloud Quick Installation
https://products.wdc.com/library/?id=1512&type=20&cn=4079-705157&lang=en

1 Like

Hi all, I have a MyCloud ver 3 which is no longer supported by WD. I have read the chat forum re Transferring files from MyCloud OS3 re dragging and dropping the files. My question is when I try connecting my laptop and MyCloud OS3 to the home ethernet router and then I try to go into MS File Explorer, it can’t seem to detect the MyCloud OS3 NAS. Really appreciate if someone can assist as I do have a lot of old priceless photos stored in the NAS.

FYI - I used to access the NAS using the web on my laptop or the MyCloud app on my photo. The new app no longer supports the MyCloud OS3 as it can detect the device.

Thanks all in advance!

@Alpline

With your WDMYCLOUD connected to your router are you able to check and see what IP address is assigned to it. Using that address you should be able to open the Dashboard.

If you get that to working try \\WDMYCLOUD as the address in File Explorer and you should be able to see your shares. See example image from mine below.

Make sure the My Cloud is directly connected to the router’s networking port using an Ethernet cable. Have the computer connected to that same router, using an Ethernet cable if possible. Avoid using powerline adapters or network extenders when troubleshooting access issues.

First troubleshooting step is to access the network router’s administration page and see if it indicates the My Cloud obtaining an IP address. If so, make note of that IP address and try accessing the My Cloud by it’s IP address with Windows File Explorer address bar (ex: \\192.168.1.100) .

Another troubleshooting step. For OS3 My Cloud devices, if using Windows, one may have to enable Windows File Sharing (and SMB1.0). And set the Windows Network Profile to Private and not Public.

Enable File Sharing Support on My Cloud, Home & Passport in Windows
https://support-en.wd.com/app/answers/detailweb/a_id/4155

Note that for OS3 specific problems there is a different, dedicated, subforum for the OS3 single bay My Cloud devices. This subforum generally deals with OS5 second generation single bay My Cloud issues. The first gen single bay My Cloud (v4.x firmware) cannot be updated to OS5, but the second generation single bay My Cloud (v2.x firmware) can be updated to OS5.

OS3 My Cloud
https://community.wd.com/c/personal-cloud-storage/wd-my-cloud/105

Hi

Thanks for responding, but I asked this question MONTHS ago! We did get it figured out and I’ve been using my cloud since. I have to say, WD needs to get some real non expert people to write and explain their setups, it’s so cryptic and tech language oriented.

I use computers because I have to, I wish I didn’t. So, in plain language with easy-to-follow instructions without the jargon would be nice. If computer techs needed to understand the details of the engineering to operate their cars, they would understand.

FYI I’ve had a cloud for about 10 years now, and it’s always a struggle to update, upgrade etc. But I can rebuild an engine, transmission etc. without batting an eye, go figure.

Nick

| Bennor
November 10 |

• | - |

Alpline:

My question is when I try connecting my laptop and MyCloud OS3 to the home ethernet router and then I try to go into MS File Explorer, it can’t seem to detect the MyCloud OS3 NAS.

Make sure the My Cloud is directly connected to the router’s networking port using an Ethernet cable. Have the computer connected to that same router, using an Ethernet cable if possible. Avoid using powerline adapters or network extenders when troubleshooting access issues.

First troubleshooting step is to access the network router’s administration page and see if it indicates the My Cloud obtaining an IP address. If so, make note of that IP address and try accessing the My Cloud by it’s IP address with Windows File Explorer address bar (ex: \\192.168.1.100) .

Another troubleshooting step. For OS3 My Cloud devices, if using Windows, one may have to enable Windows File Sharing (and SMB1.0). And set the Windows Network Profile to Private and not Public.

Enable File Sharing Support on My Cloud, Home & Passport in Windows
https://support-en.wd.com/app/answers/detailweb/a_id/4155

Note that for OS3 specific problems there is a different, dedicated, subforum for the OS3 single bay My Cloud devices. This subforum generally deals with OS5 second generation single bay My Cloud issues. The first gen single bay My Cloud (v4.x firmware) cannot be updated to OS5, but the second generation single bay My Cloud (v2.x firmware) can be updated to OS5.

OS3 My Cloud
https://community.wd.com/c/personal-cloud-storage/wd-my-cloud/105

1 Like

Note that the recent responses are not directed to you, or at you, they are instead directed to, and in response, to another user who posted a question to this discussion.