Want to use MyCloud as a NAS

I would like to us mycloud as a network attached storage, when I purchased it that what is what I thought I was getting. But it seems to want to do its own thing. The instructions are confusing and I really do not know how this operates.

I would like to go into the drive with explorer and set up my own folder and be able to move, copy and delete file as I would on any normal drive. What this device does is groups them and bunches all my file in to all pictures, all videos. I seem to have no control over the file placement.

All I wanted was a simple NAS device on my home network. Any suggestions as to what I can to to achieve this?

Hi,

Please can we have a little more information. What model “My Cloud” do you have?
Is it a “My Cloud” or a “My Cloud Home” and what OS are you using? Windows 10, Mac?

I’m sure what you want can be done, just need more info to guide you.

@gjkozy If you have a WD My Cloud WDMyCloudImage you can do this. You should have already created a share using the Dashboard. See more information using the below link and the User Manuals.

https://support.wdc.com/product.aspx?ID=904&lang=en

You can use File Explorer to do what you want to do. You look at Network>YourMyCloud. Horace is my share where I put only what I want in it.

Thank you, I get a directory listing similar to this, but I cannot move files or folders like I do with my regular storage.

If using Windows File Explorer you may be seeing/accessing the media server of the My Cloud not the file server which will explain why one cannot move files into the Shares on the My Cloud. Also note that you cannot move files/folders to the top level directly of the My Cloud. Instead one has to use the My Cloud Dashboard to create the top level Shares (folders) then copy files into those Shares.

Thank you for the time you use to reply, is there a way to turn off the media server? I do not want all of my files be accessible by the server. I get on the cloud All Pictures, All Videos but I am unable to either move them or remove them. I do not want to reformat.

Why don’t you answer the questions asked of you so the others can help you? Have you even looked at the complete manual for your Mu Cloud?

I am not very tech savvy and some of the things confuse me on the manual.

This is obvious,.
PLEASE ANSWER THE QUESTIONS ASKED OF YOU OR YOU WILL NEVER GET ANY ASSIST!

Its a wd mycloud and I’m using windows 10. I dont know the model number.

OK, we are getting somewhere, but many model devices are called a My Cloud_xxx, so is it a My Cloud “something” such as a My Cloud HOME. or maybe My Cloud EX2 or JUST My Cloud? If the answer is the latter, this is a discontinued model, so when did you get it? If it has been a while, how long have you had it not working as a NAS? Did you buy it new or refurbished?

I purchased the original one a few years ago and it stopped working, this is a replacement from WD. It’s just a MyCloud. I am physically unable to reach the unit to give info onany labels.

I have been able to map the dive, my problem is I need to be able to move and delet file in the mycloud part that shows up on the network. When I view the files through my tv or dvd player it get a gazillion files that show up and cant play on these devices.

It show up as all videos or all pictures. I do not want to lose these files but its horrible having thousands of videos and pictures show up in one very long list.

I read the manuals and do not understand some of the terminology. I am thinking of trying to copy everything to external usb drives and reformatting to start over.

I tried to copy from mycloud to the mapped drive letter I gave it, but it stalls out and freezes.

Wow, it sounds like your problems go way beyond that you “Want to use MyCloud as a NAS” . Perhaps others here can help you further. Or, you should contact WD Support. Sorry, I am not able to assist you more.

Yes. The media server(s) (Twonky/Apple) can be disabled or enabled either entirely (My Cloud Dashboard > Settings) or by specific Share (My Cloud Dashboard > Shares) in the My Cloud Dashboard.

When I go to ‘Network’ in Win10 I don’t get any folders. I get the main page and when I click on ‘WDShare’ (under ‘Storage’) it brings up the Admin Web Page for the device. I have created a share, but it never shows up on the File Explorer.

I think this product is over-designed and/or incorrectly marketed. What I wanted when I purchased it, was an in-house NAS, where my multiple computers could store files such that they would be available to all of the rest. Also, the ability to back up this single device for security for all of the computers in the house (I have 5).

I don’t need a media server (any one of my computers can do that), I don’t need separate user accounts, and I don’t expect to need a WD account to access it. If I want to be able to access it from outside of the house (two of the computers are laptops, so they could go traveling) I can set that up with my network. One thing that would be nice is ‘sync’ (like Box sync, where a local folder is kept up to date with the NAS folder) such that I can access the local folder while working, but it is kept up to date with the NAS folder.

What I really want is for my ‘Documents’ folder to be mirrored to the NAS. Such that any machine’s Documents folder is the same. Add or edit a document in ‘Documents’ and the same content shows up on the other machines. In the case of a laptop that I take with me, if I make changes it sync’s back up when I reconnect. If I need network updates I’ll probably use Box, Google Drive, etc. - but I don’t want to use those for my day-to-day (in-house) files.

What specific My Cloud device do you have? One can see a graphical depiction of My Cloud devices (not My Cloud Home as that is a completely different device) at the following link:

If you have a single bay My Cloud have you checked that SMB1.0 is enabled in Windows? Microsoft disables the SMB1.0 option in recent update(s) to Windows 10.

While one can use WD Sync software (which can be downloaded from the WD Support site) to sync user files from their computer to the My Cloud. More than a few have had trouble with the software. Some have turned to using third party sync software like the Free File Sync (https://freefilesync.org/) for local network syncing/mirroring with the My Cloud.

For backing up a computer one can use Apple’s Time Machine if using a Mac, or Smartware if using Windows. Smartware can likewise be downloaded from the WD Support site. Or one can use a third party backup program (there are a number of free and paid programs) to backup a computer to the My Cloud on the local network.

It also helps to read the My Cloud User Manual, which can be obtained from the WD Support site, as the User Manual generally details how to use the various features of the My Cloud device including how to “map” Shares.

A WD Support article that covers when Windows or Mac cannot find the My Cloud.

Two of my computers are Linux (not Windows or Mac), so I really just want a local NAS. I don’t want to have a WD cloud account to use it. It was not obvious to me that this is how the ‘My Cloud’ worked. Maybe that is my fault for not completely researching the product.

Is this possible with WD MyCloud to make it a ‘generic’ NAS that can work with Windows, Mac, Linux, without requiring a WD account? My product is: WD MyCloud - WD8CTL0040HWT-10
If not, I’ll buy a different NAS solution and not bother with WD products in the future.

The single bay/single drive My Cloud IS a basic network attached storage device.

If you haven’t done so already you should read through the My Cloud user manual as it explains (generally) how to use the device.

One does not need to use the Remote Access or Cloud Access feature of the device. One can disable that option if they so desire. One does not need to create an account at MyCloud.com to use the device. All configuration of the device including creating Shares and Users is done using the My Cloud Dashboard. Which can typically be access by entering http://wdmycloud or http://wdmycloud.local in the web browser of a device connected to the same local network as the My Cloud device.

One accesses the files on the local network My Cloud device using Windows File Explorer or Mac Finder or a file manager in Linux.