Timemachine stops working after update to FW 5.19.117

Sorry, setting the limit to 100% is not a solution for me, as I bougth the EX2 with the intention to use a small capacity of it for file-sharing, photos and videos of my Grand children, with my kids as an alternative to Dropbox etc -which worked perfectly for me until WD broke with the new FW. So for me it is their task to fix what they broke.

1 Like

Time Machine limit can be adjusted per the configuration note:

“Increasing the maximum backup value after the initial backup has no effect on existing backups. WD recommends leaving this setting at the maximum value for your initial backup. After the first backup is complete, you can change the backup size by dragging the Maximum Size slider.”

Basically, I let one back-up complete with the configuration set to 100% and set it back to where I wanted it. Seems to work fine now.

1 Like

@kworden Thank you, I’ve tried this, I was able to do the very first backup (after a factory default reset) and then I adjusted the size slider from 100% to 2TB (out of 6TB) and TimeMachine wasn’t able to connect to the drive anymore…

You are correct. If the Time Machine Share is set to a value of less than the maximum backup value, the share is not available.

1 Like

CC @WDStaff
That is what me makes mad about it, right. You look into the log-files, you test around because of WD decided to release a buggy Firmware and what is it the support does? Nothing.
I did a chat, then I wrote an email - I get the same silly link to a knowledge base article that even doesn’t fit to my error (or their error).
This is massively, highly unprofessional - but they don’t care, it looks like.
There should be articles about this in a lot of magazines so no one will trust WD on these kind of products anymore. Guys, these devices should be designed for stability and safety - and the results after a firmware update is the opposite. Oh my god.

I don’t think there will be a quick reply on this huge issue, but maybe there will be some firmware upgrade in a few weeks or so. Maybe this time they test it before they release a buggy firmware.
I’m very very disappointed.

2 Likes

Thanks @hObelware.

@WDStaff - can you advise where I can download the the previous FW 5.18.117 for myCloud?

@hObelware where did you get the old firmware file from? WD doesn’t react on stuff, I would like to roll-back to 5.18.117 to use my devices … - thanks.

I followed the link from from gogsy7 further up on this thread, as I have an EX2 Ultra … if you got another device download the current firmware from WD to know the naming structure of the file and then replace the numbers for the desired FW release eg:

https://downloads.wdc.com/nas/WDMyCloudEX2Ultra_5.xx.xxx_prod.bin

the different release numbers can be found in the release notes

1 Like

Fantastic, thank you. I downloaded the 5.18.117 again, updated one NAS with that and it’s working as before - at least a little success.
WD, the ball is in your field and such information like the downgrade option I would expect from your end!

1 Like

could you maintain cloud access? I lost it after downgrading … so if you need that, downgrading is not an option at all …

Nope, I don’t need that.
But I just tested and I wasn’t able to get the 2nd backup with TimeMachine done (even on 5.18.117) after I reduced the TimeMachine space in the NAS config from 100% down to 1TB. That issue is already in the 5.18.117 file when you set up the device as a new one. Odd and very sad.

For me this looks like the interoperability between MacOS Monterey 12.1 and the NAS OS (even on 5.18.117) is not working correctly. Looks like some permission stuff isn’t working for good.

same MacOS here: it works, so far … be sure to reenable AFP under settings->network on the WD dashboard and then connect TM to the backup-volume and you will notice, that you have to confirm your guest login twice … the first time SMB is used (as it is MacOS default) but that fails and then the second time Mac OS reverts to AFP, which works just fine … you will see an afpovertcp connection if you hover your mouse over the volume in use on the “select volume” screen in MacOS … try!

The error lies clearly with the implementation of the size limit over SMB (GUEST and user alike) and was already present in all FW prior to 5.19.117, as @AustinForest stated. It simply went unnoticed (at least by me) because MacOS just used AFP unannounced :confused: instead, which got lost in 5.19.117 … and here we are.

I always found it odd, that I could not connect via Finder to my Time Machine Volume and now I know why. And even that always would have been possible, if I had used “Connect to Server …” and manually specified an AFP connection. :disappointed:

2 Likes

Great work, you are right. And also I think your conclusion is correct. Now it is on WD to react on that silly situation.

Many thanks to this forum - I have wasted countless hours in researching how I could enable smb on my Mac and the WD EX2. Now it appears the thing is back working, however indicating “zero kb available” in the Mac Time Machine popup frame - next bug in line?

Any way, thanks - you made my day…

After 5.19.117 firmware update, the old Time Machine shares stopped working.

Researched and tested to frustration.

Created a new Time Machine share (with a new name to keep them straight)

• public - ON. (apparently you can use specific log in accounts
  • mobile and NFS - OFF
  • Settings → General → Mac Backups
    – Time Machine - ON
    – Mac Backups + ‘configure’ → - (set size to max) + SAVE

Cheers

First note:

Late change - when the TM logs in it asks if I want to replace the old store or delete it. I think ‘REPLACE’ is faster. I did that on one machine, and can’t remember which I hit on the other machine, but it may have been the other option - it all happened so fast.

(Begs for a command like interface with all the steps listed at once, so you can issue an optimal ‘execution vector’, rather than a sequential set of steps. Maybe a popup with a set of check boxes and a ‘recommended pattern’. UI/UX design issues, I’m sure.)

Second note:

Added a user to my third Time Machine share, then changed to: Public=OFF, then connected TM with the user I had set up. Works.

Third note:

On the Mac:

• Latest Cloud OS dropped AFP network disk support - switch to SMB connection

• Finder → Go → Connect To Server
    → delete conflicting/obsolete AFP Time Machine shares
    → select new SMB Time Machine share

Cheers again

1 Like

Yeah, with that settings I also got the TM-Backups back to work. Problem for me here is: I do not want to spend 8TB for the backups of one Macbook with 256 GB Diskspace…

So, when can we expect a firmware which fixes that issue @WDStaff ?

Worked for me :slight_smile:
Thank you very much!

1 Like

@Holf - In the TM configure step, you can limit the disk space allocated for the TM. All my TM shares (3) have the entire disk at their disposal, and it seems to work fine, sharing the whole disk as needed.

Exact this is what I don´t want. Share the complete disk for Timemachine. But ok, for now I have a workaround and until the firmware fix is released maybe the savings for real hardware.

I downgrade to 5.18.117, make a Backup just for incase, then make factory reset, restart all, and the info must be there, now you can conecct via mycloud.com

Works for me
ex2 ultra

1 Like