Timemachine stops working after update to FW 5.19.117

Thank you, mycloud6tnr, unfortunately this doesn’t work for me.
I do like you and WD support described, then I can do a few backups and after a couple of hours I still get the error message when I try to connect TimeMachine with the new share. The error says that the device doesn’t support needed features. That’s it.
This is so ■■■■ annoying and there is simply no help. Very bad.

Does anyone know what the CIFS auth-errors mean? First backup, no errors, second backup after reboot of the Mac looks like on the screenshot above.
Let’s see if this works still tomorrow… I doubt based on my latest experiences.

Hmm:

• I’d check if the TM share has the Guest enabled
  • I was not able to make the old TM share work
  • did you do the Settings/General/TM config step with ‘SAVE’ of disk space allocation for that share?

mycloud6tnr

Thanks @mycloud6tnr
Yepp, guest is enabled (but why this error was logged?). Share is set to max capacity.
This is odd.

A few times I have had to refresh ( click fix ) the alias from my Mac mini running Monterey 12.2 RC

to reconnect to the EX2ulta NAS to get a second Timemachine backup to again start working.

and I have 2 folder on the desktop
1 is the Alias
2 is the Volume that has the smb://NAS path

there may be some timeout of the user authentication . As the workarounds got it to make backups -
I too am waiting for a final fix.

Thanks hObelware. I downloaded 5.18.117 and so I got the right FW to down-grade. Can I do that by “manual up date”, or is that too simple and do I risks data loss or any form of malfunction of the NAS?
Automatic up-grading is a seemless process but I suspect down grading is some what different and riskier.
Please comment.

Hey @HarrieR - I did the same. That works fine. I downloaded the “old” Firmware (5.18.117) and did the manual FM “upgrade” from the NAS GUI - works perfectly.

Dear WD Community,

We are unable to duplicate the macOS Time Machine backup settings issue reported in this thread on My Cloud OS 5 firmware 5.19.117.
Please open a support case and include the macOS Version being used and the system logs from your My Cloud Device so that we can investigate the issues reported. Add “5.19.117 macOS TM Size Limitation Backup Failure” as the subject

2 Likes

Done #220126-001659

I got it not working immediately by setting the size limit at 99%… Got more than 4TB free…

macOS 12.1 (on M1).

(I don’t know why the subject title says it’s solved!)

1 Like

Hi @SBrown,
I opend a support case, provided the system logs and sent you the case number via PN. What I now got as a reply from support is a wordy answer apologizing for bad customer experience, the goal of WD to offer excellent products etc. and the follwoing key message:

‘Support can’t help you, it’s up to Marketing to decide on the introduction of new product features.’

The question is not to introduce new product features. It’s simply to make existing features work.

1 Like

@RalphW

I received your PM and checked the case.
Your issue has been escalated to our engineering department for analysis.
Thank you for opening the case and submitting the system logs.

1 Like

This is not the only community discussion on this issue- refer:

The issue has been separately escalated to WD technical support under that discussion strand.

1 Like

Dear mr SBrown, I am totally bewildered ever since TimeMachine on my Mac urged me to make a new Backup, because it had detected that this had not been done for over 10 days. For this sole purpose I have bought a MyCloud EX2Ultra with two 4TB Disks. I actually lost days before I found out that my Mac, old as it is, was in perfect working order, but the problem should be searched for in the latest update from WD that upgraded my machine from 5.18.117 to 5.19.117.
Time Machine has been working perfectly on MyCloud EX2Ultra, backing up continuously for my 2 machines, ever since I bought it and now suddenly it doesn’t.
I have downloaded the latest firmware that TimeMachine worked with and I urgently need clear and precise guidance how to revert and down grade from 5.19.117 to 5.18.117. I need my stuff to be backed up (and that’s the sole purpose I bought the machine for)
How do I open a a support case. I see ltoo many options on the International Phone Numbers | Western Digital page so which on should I address?
I’ve made a systems log already, but “5.19.117 macOS TM Size Limitation Backup Failure” does not cover my problem since I haven’t limited de size of the backup. It is set at the max (100% or 3.8TB), which is far more than I would ever want.

@HarrieR
Click Here to open a support case. Once the case is opened, please attach the systems logs. Please also include your macOS version as well.

1 Like

I think I killed my nas =( I uploaded a wrong firmware to my WD My Cloud Mirror =(
Is there a way to roll back now? Maybe some kind of master factory reset? =(

Hi,
does the user you created the new ‘Backups’ share for have a size limit on your NAS? If this is the case, you’re running into the same issue as originally disucussed above.

WD Community,

We are able to duplicate the Max Settings issue reported in this thread only on macOS 11.2 and 12.1 with firmware 5.19.117 and 5.18.117. Is there anyone in this thread that has this issue using a different version of macOS other than 11.2 and 12.1?

Assuming that everyone is using the default TimeMachineBackup share?

2 Likes

Hi @SBrown,
I had the issue under FW 5.19.119 and macOS 12.1.
Apple distributed an update to macOS 12.2 yesterday and the issue persists also under macOS 12.2.

Additionally, I’m running another Mac under macOS 10.12.6 (!, old but gold) and the issue with this machine is the same.

Hope this helps.

4 Likes

Hello mr SBrown,

Thanks for answering.

Ik clicked the link and opened a case.

Or so I think, because in the form that opened I could not find a means to attach the systems log.
So here it is.

I wrote in the form:

Apple iMac, (21.5" medio 2011, 16GB RAM) on Mac OSX High Sierra 10.13.6
and

Apple iMac, (21.5" medio 2011, 16GB RAM) on Mac OSX El Capitan 10.11.6

Mon. 24-jan. I got a warning message that I should make a backup since that wasn’t done for 10 days.
Opening TimeMachine I saw that it could no longer find the backup disk, although it was readily available in Finder and all files on it could be normally acsessed; all except for the backups.

I store some stuff on MyCloud2xUltra of 2x4TB, but I have set the allotted volume for back ups at the max. (3.8 TB, 100%)

Backing up is the sole reason I bought the machine and that suddenly and without warning stopped working. Either this should be fixed in a new FW update soon, or you should give me directions how to revert to the latest FW-version that did not cause this trouble.

BACKING UP IS ESSENTIAL TO ME AND I NEED A SOLUTION, OR A WORK AROUND MOST URGENTLY!!!

On the pages of the WD Community it is clear that I am not the only one having this problem. Not by far! this clearly should be fixed soon.

PLEASE NOTE: THIS FORM OFFERS NO WAY TO ATTACH THE SYSTEMS LOG, SO I NEED AN ADDRESS TO SEND IT TO."

Best regards,

HES van Schoonhoven
Life is a learning experience

(Attachment MyCloudEX2Ultra.zip is missing)

2 Likes

I’m currently using macOS 12.2 on a MacBook Pro 13" 2016 and on iMac 27" 2019 and Mac OS X 10.14.6 on iMac 27" late 2012. All devices have the same issues connecting to a size limited TimeMachine share over SMB on FW 5.19.117, FW 5.18.117 and FW 5.17.107 … I did not grade further down, since the problem persited. Currently I’m running on FW 5.18.117 with TimeMachine via AFP.

Btw … Why is the thread marked as solved? Did I miss something?

2 Likes

Hi @SBrown,
confirmed, I’m using the default TimeMachineBackup share.