The network path was not found. This connection has not been restored

As of yesterday I can no longer access the files on my NAS, WD My Cloud Mirror (Gen 2), WDBWVZ.

An error occurred while connecting drive: to \IP Address\directory

Microsoft Windows Network: the network path was not found.

this connection has not been restored

The NAS shows up under Devices and Printers in the Control Panel.

I set the IP address to “static” and mapped it in the file manager. No problem for years. Now its status in File Manager is “disconnected”.

Trying to ping its IP address results in this message“Destination host unreachable”

My desktop’s operating system is Windows 8.1. For a test I cranked up another desktop, which I have not used for some years. It runs on XP Pro. Same failures.

Presumably I need to recreate the necessary network path, but I don’t know how to go about it. Can anyone help?

Note, there is a specific subforum for discussing My Cloud Mirror device issues where users of that device may be able to assist.

• What does the front LEDs of the My Cloud Mirror Gen 2 indicate?
  • Can the My Cloud Dashboard be accessed? (How to Access the Dashboard on a My Cloud Device)
  • Because the My Cloud Mirror Gen 2 supports being updated to OS5, has the device been updated to OS5/v5.x firmware? If it has there is a suboforum for OS5 My Cloud Mirror discussion. (OS5 My Cloud Mirror)
  • Can you access the My Cloud device in Windows File Explorer or Mac Finder using the My Cloud device’s IP address?

One can find the IP address either by right clicking on the My Cloud icon in Windows File Explorer and selecting Properties. By checking the router’s administration page for the DHCP server section and see if the My Cloud is listed as receiving (or having a reserved) an IP address.

General steps on how to map a Share on a My Cloud drive:
How to map a My Cloud or NAS device on Windows
How to map a My Cloud or NAS device on macOS

One can try a 40 second reset which sometimes fixes certain issues.
How to Reset a My Cloud Device

Thanks, Bennor. Perhaps a moderator can move this thread to the appropriate section of the forum.

The LEDs at the front are a steady blue. The network LEDs at the rear are a steady green. I also swapped the cable connecting it to the modem/router in case the original one was faulty.

I cannot access the dashboard by name or IP address. All attempts time out.

The NAS not been been updated to OS5/v5.x firmware.

File explorer cannot access the NAS.

Attempts to map the NAS failed on both my Win 8.1 and my XP Pro box.

At this stage I will not attempt the 40 second reset. In my opinion it is as likely to solve the problem as any of Microsoft’s troubleshooters. :wink:

I think I need to find someone who can help me recreate the missing network path to the device. The error message I quoted at the outset is a clear indication that this is where the focus needs to be.

Unfortunately the only way to know for certain is to access the Dashboard to check the firmware version.

The inability to access the My Cloud Dashboard and access the My Cloud using Windows file Explorer/Mac Finder post OS5 update is a common problem.

Have you checked the network router administration page (or DHCP server) to see what IP address it is handing out to the My Cloud? It’s possible that the IP address has changed either at the router or the My Cloud. If one set a static IP address within the My Cloud Dashboard previously and the local network router IP address (or it’s IP address range) has changed its possible one won’t be able to access the My Cloud. If this has happened then a 4 second reset may need to be done.

One can try pinging the My Cloud IP address to see if they get a response. That will at least indicate the unit is responding on the local network.

Thanks again, Bennor, I see you are trying to help.

The firmware version was 3 point something when the device disappeared.

As far as the router is concerned the NAS does not exist.

So it came as no surprise that pinging it got no response. I mentioned that in the opening post.

I need to find someone who can guide me in recreating the missing network path.

Is there anyone who can move this thread into the appropriate subforum?

The My Cloud Mirror Gen 2 never used v3.x firmware. It has always used v2.x firmware until the release of OS5 v5.x firmware.

If the device isn’t showing up on the local network and cannot be pinged, guiding you through recreating the network path is pointless since the device is not being seen or cannot be found on the local network. Cannot map a Share if the drive cannot be found or does not exist on the local network.

You have to figure out why the device isn’t being seen on the local network. If you haven’t done so already, perform a 4 second reset of the My Cloud Mirror Gen 2 (How to Reset a My Cloud Mirror (Gen 2) Device).

Option A: 4 Second Reset (Reset with Power On)

The 4 Second Reset will reset the following:

• Admin Password (No password by default)
  • Network Mode (Default = DHCP )

Note: The 4 Second Reset will only reset the Admin Password. It will not reset the Admin User Name. In order to reset the Admin User Name perform Option B - the 40 Second Reset outlined below.

No user data is lost when performing a 4 second (or 40 second) reset. If you previously used the My Cloud Dashboard to set a static IP address, a 4 second reset will clear the Network Mode setting back to default where it should contact the network router/DHCP server for an IP address. If a 4 second reset doesn’t work, try a 40 second reset.

Other things to troubleshoot. Has anything changed on the local network? New broadband provider or router? Was the My Cloud Mirror Gen 2 moved or is it connected to the local network using a mesh node, Access Point, Wifi Extender, Powerline Node, etc.? If using Windows 10, make sure SMB1.0 is enabled and make sure the Network Type is set to Private. If using any third party security/firewall programs, temporarily disable them to see if the issue persists. Make sure all network devices are using the same “workgroup” name. Generally that name will be “workgroup”. Make sure all network devices are using the same IP address range. For example all devices should be using an IP address in the 192.168.1.x range.

[quote=“Bennor, post:6, topic:273456”]
If the device isn’t showing up on the local network and cannot be pinged, guiding you through recreating the network path is pointless since the device is not being seen or cannot be found on the local network. Cannot map a Share if the drive cannot be found or does not exist on the local network.[/quote]
OK, so I got that the wrong way around. I thought the NAS is invisible because the path to it disappeared.

You have to figure out why the device isn’t being seen on the local network. If you haven’t done so already, perform a 4 second reset of the My Cloud Mirror Gen 2[/quote]
The 4 second reset failed. The NAS does not react to it at all. Not even with blinking front LEDs.

Has anything changed on the local network? New broadband provider or router?[/quote]

This is a possibility. At around the same time I lost contact with the NAS windows notified me of a new device. It was named “OpenWRT router”. Clicking on “View device page” brought me to one of pages of my ISP detailing my internet connection. They supplied the modem/router when I needed to change from ASDL to broadband. OpenWRT is opensource. Maybe my ISP flashed the firmware of my modem/router without notifying me of it and something went wrong or there’s a bug in it. I emailed them about it as soon as it happened, but apart from an auto-reply providing me with a ticket number I have not heard back from them yet.

Looking ahead, I’m thinking of the possibility of having to reinstall the NAS from scratch. I’d have to lift one of the drives out of the enclosure and back my data files up to an external one. This is going to take many hours.

The NAS is accessible and fully functional again. I am not certain exactly how it happened. I had deleted a program (Piriform’s Kamo) that kept stalling 94% into the installation process, and which I now suspect of having installed “OpenWRT router”. Nothing happened for several days. This afternoon I had another look at Control Panel > Hardware and Sound > Devices and Printers. Lo and behold, the NAS icon appeared. Unfortunately, clicking on “Properties” returned a message saying it was disconnected. Thinking that maybe unplugging and replugging the LAN cable might reestablish the connection I accidentally pulled the power cable out. Exactly what I did not want to do, but there you go. A few minutes after the device powered up everything was functioning properly again.

Thought you might want to know, Bennor, and I appreciate you trying to help. Thanks for that.