The DNS server does not resolve names correctly

oh heeeellllp me please I would love for somebody who knows what they are talking about to tell me how to fix this.

Suddenly my mybook live stopped working…

that means:

• the green light on the front is constantly blinking and ‘working’, meaning that i cant access the backup tab in Smartware.

• when i click on mybook live as a folder under ‘network’, i get a message saying ‘windows cannot access //mybooklive’

From what I have read, this is because the DNS server does not resolve the names correctly, however, i have no idea what that means or how I fix it.

It was working fine until an unknown moment recently. No changes to the network or router or computer that i can think of, except that my housemate has been on the phone to our TV provider because of problems with ‘the box’.

i know i am not full of technical details, thats because i have no idea what any of this means, so please ask me clearly, so i can find out the info needed.

super appreciative of your time :slight_smile:

Can anybody please inform me?

log into your router and look at the table which tells you which devices are connected.  Find out what IP address your router assigned to the MBL (assuming it’s all DHCP).  Then, in your browser, type in that IP address instead of //mybooklive

I was also able to fix DNS issues by going into the IP4 settings of my wireless connection on the laptop and manually entering the google DNS of 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4.

Hi and thanks for the response! 

Unfortunately I have no idea how to do that. I quickly googled and did not come up with anything useful so I have to ask:

How do I log into my router?

By the way, I have no idea what DCHP or IP4 settings are.

thank you for your patience!

wait! i just found the following in ‘network connection details’:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix:
Description: Atheros AR9285 Wireless Network Adapter
Physical Address: ‎00-25-D3-65-05-BC
DHCP Enabled: Yes
IPv4 Address: 192.168.0.103
IPv4 Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
Lease Obtained: 6. april 2012 15:06:47
Lease Expires: 8. april 2012 16:32:03
IPv4 Default Gateway: 192.168.0.1
IPv4 DHCP Server: 192.168.0.1
IPv4 DNS Server: 192.168.0.1
IPv4 WINS Server:
NetBIOS over Tcpip Enabled: Yes

typically you would type in 192.168.0.1 into your browser and it will take you to the log in screen of your router.  Though something tells me you don’t know the password…

anotherupdate:

i used cmd and the commang ‘ipconfig’ to find out the following:

default gateway: 192.168.0.1

…what can i do with this magical knowledge?

if you go to your network connections on your PC, right click on the wireless adapter and go to properties.  Scroll down the list of items with checkboxes until you see something like IPv4 TCPIP.  click once to highlight that and then click properties (or…advanced.  can’t remember.  it’s the button just below that list).

You’ll see options pop up.  Likely, you have the “Automatically obtain IP” checked, and also have auto detect DNS checked.  You can click on manually enter DNS and then put 8.8.8.8 in the first line and 8.8.4.4 in the second line.

If you do that and it’s still not working, you can always go back to Auto obtain.

you’re making a pretty good guess!

it told me that default was admin/1234 so i typed that and it went into a screen that has this in the search bar:

http://192.168.0.1/index.asp

i am now in this screen where i have lots of strange numbers that mean nothing to me…

so this is the internet connection info:

Attain IP Protocol :   Dynamic IP connect
IP Address :   84.202.186.186
Subnet Mask :   255.255.255.0
Default Gateway :   84.202.186.1
MAC Address :   34:21:09:01:8B:55
Primary DNS :   193.213.112.4
Secondary DNS :   193.213.112.4

currently trying what you suggested…

many thanks for extreme patience!

so you were able to log into the router’s admin settings?  you’ll have to look around to find the “currently connected devices” list. 

Yes, I was.

The updayte is that the green light has stopped flashing, which is a good thing, it means the drive is no longer reading and writing all the time… however, i still cant access it.

in the router info i found the following info:

Active DHCP Client

This table shows the assigned IP address, MAC address and time expired for each DHCP leased client.

IP Address MAC Address Time Expired(s)
192.168.0.100 d8:9e:3f:1d:c2:9c 170307
192.168.0.103 00:25:d3:65:05:bc 163594
192.168.0.101 00:90:a9:b3:a6:d0 163373
192.168.0.102 c8:bc:c8:ce:82:b2 167348
192.168.0.104 c0:d0:44:fb:28:91 14176

have been hunting for a list of devices but there is nothing that blatantly uses those words and im having trouble knowing what is relevant…

wait… its flashing again.

any other suggestions?

If anybody has any suggestions, I would love to hear them?t

Especially WD people… who work for this company… now i just need HELP! :open_mouth:

he drive is alternating between flashing and not (green), so i guess it is fine.

The alternating flashing light is correct. Solid green shows it is running, and flashing green shows it is being accessed (or just working).

Have you been able to access your device? If not, there are a few other things you can try, but I will wait to hear back from you.

‘windows cannot access mybook live’

and still no access in the WD Smartware program.

:slight_smile:

thanks!

Just two things.

First, can you try to “ping” the my book live by it’s name. Open a command prompt (click on Start, then type “cmd” into the search box)

type “ping mybooklive” (Without the ""s). This will just try to get the mybooklive to respond to you.

If this does not work, can you connect a network cable directly between your computer and the MBL, then reboot them both?

This will ensure both your computer and MBL to be on the same network . Once they have both booted up try to ping the MBL by it’s name again.

Chaos311 wrote:

Just two things.

First, can you try to “ping” the my book live by it’s name. Open a command prompt (click on Start, then type “cmd” into the search box)

type “ping mybooklive” (Without the ""s). This will just try to get the mybooklive to respond to you.

If this does not work, can you connect a network cable directly between your computer and the MBL, then reboot them both?

This will ensure both your computer and MBL to be on the same network . Once they have both booted up try to ping the MBL by it’s name again.

You might want to add that if the drive’s been renamed, replace “mybooklive” with whatever the drive is called.

Good call. Thanks

Hi you two!

i have not changed the name of the drive. so I tried to ping it and it got no response.

I then unplugged the network cable from the router and connected to my computer, and still no response…

in the meantime i finally got access to Dashboard utility and was able to see the drive info when i hovered over the icon in taskbar. 

the icon in totally gone now!!! what the…

so when plugged directly to the computer, the drive is not recognised… what does that mean?

:slight_smile:

it was working initially, by the way. so somehow something must have been changed along the way. something very simple??

Thanks for trying that.

Since you directly connected the MBL to your computer, rebooted them both, and still were not able to Ping the MBL we have rulled out your network as being the problem. So, either it is the MBL or your computer that has had something change.

The MBL should not have a Green light if there is a problem with it. . . although it is a faint possibility.

Do you have any other computers that you could try connecting the MBL to? In order to rule out your PC?

Since you cannot access the drive at all that would indicate either there is a really simple problem, or the drive is not funtioning… Although, with the light being green I am leaning towards the simple. *S* I hope.