The DNS server does not resolve names correctly

Hi and thanks!!!

Just to clarify… If i open the ‘network’ folder window, mybook live appears under three catergories:

computer - when i double click, the message appears: ‘windows cannot access mybooklive//. when the spelling of the name. otherwise there might be a problem with your network.’

media devices - this is a twonky icon and when i click, it opens up twonky in a browser

storage - when i double click, it opens mybooklive/ site in a browser window. When i richt click it and select ‘open’, it opens the mybool live storage folder.

so i can access it as a hard drive, just not as a network drive.

ill try getting my housemate’s computer to recognise the mybook live then. see what happens.

Had a read of this case and something to try.

• Try another network cable.
  • Maybe the socket the MyBookLive is connected to in the routter is iffy. Try put the network cable of the MyBook Live into another socket on the router.

I’ve been recently wiring up 60 cables to a patch panel. My wiring is fine but I discovered in the sockets in the well, which I didn’t wire, seem to have wire pairs 1 and 2 (orange pair) not connecting properly. Possibly the spring loaded metal fingers in the socket not as springy?

You’ve mentioned you actually managed to get to the Dashboard UI once. Could be as simple as a bad connection.

Do me a favor… log into your router and get the IP address of the drive. Once you have it, right click on “Computer” (My Computer if ur still on XP) and select map network drive. Map the IP instead of the drive name (//IP/Public) and see if it maps for you.

In regards to it not being able to ping- did you reboot both the computer and the drive after you directly connected it?

Compu-what,

The information you posted is really good. Since you can connect to the drive’s data we know that the computer and drive are at least talking to each other, so they must be on the network together.

The Ardvark is right, if you can get the IP from your router the try connecting to it that way we would know if it is your name resolution service that is causeing the problem.

Just to make sure I am understanding you correctly:

• You CAN access the Public share on the drive through My Computer >> Network

• Smartware CANNOTbackup to the drive

• You CANNOT access the User Interface of the drive

• You CANNOT “ping” the drive by it’s name (mybooklive)

This is a wierd problem… definatly try what the Ardvark said. I cannot figure out how you can access the drive but cannot ping it. . . oh well.