Help: MBL is offline for SmartWire

I’ve been using a NAS MBL 3T for about a month.

Recently I can’t log into the drive via SmartWare, from any PC.

About the same time, I’ve noticed a green blinking LED that doesn’t go away.

I have uninstalled SmartWare from one of the PCs and since then all attempts to re-install it on the same PC have failed.

“Make sure that a solid green light appears on the front of your drive” Oh-oh…

I have access to MBL folders and files via Windows.

I can also access with WD2Go, although a message pops up when the app is activated:

“Device Offline - Device is offline. Local Documents are available (F.11)”

Router is working, identifies the MBL and assigns an IP to it.

Have reset the drive, powered off for half a day, reset the router.

I am not sure whether this info is relevant, but I do not have photo files stored.

Blinking light continues even when all PCs are turned off.

Any suggestion is greatly appreciated

Maybe you should try contacting WD’s Technical Support about this. You can do so either by phone or email.

To Contact WD for Technical Support

http://support.wdc.com/contact/index.asp?lang=en

are you mapping the drive by device name or ip address.  I had problems with my pc resolving my dns, so I started mapping the drive by ip address.  problem solved.

Thank you - I will contact and post as I get an update.

Wayne wrote:

are you mapping the drive by device name or ip address.  I had problems with my pc resolving my dns, so I started mapping the drive by ip address.  problem solved.

I haven’t changed anything except the removal of SmartWare from one of the PCs, so I assume it is being mapped by device name, which was found without glitches upon install.

What is beyond comprehension is that although all folders and files are accessible, admin privileges are inexistent due to the fact that the drive is innaccessible via SmartWare. Can’t run diagnostics either.

I will give the suggestion a try, if didn’t get any replies from Customer Support. Thank you

let me rephrase that question

when you open your browser and type http://mybooklive/UI does it take you to the dashboard?

No, the url doesn’t take me to dashboard.

Got reply from Customer Service and spent today trying to figure out.

1. reset MBL and connected to computer ethernet port
  2. mapping did not find the drive (item 6, mannually mapping the drive)
  3. now folders became innacessible, both through windows and wd2go app

Here’s the reply:

============================

Since you mentioned that you are unable to login, you may reset the drive to its default settings. Pressing the reset button while the device is powered up resets the password to the default value of none and to default IP settings. Resetting does not erase your files.

Please follow the instructions below to reset the device using the reset button:

Do not move the unit while it is turned on. If you do not have access to the back of the unit, unplug the drive from the power source, turn the drive around so you do have access, and then plug the drive in again.

1. With the device powered on, insert a paperclip or narrow tipped pen into the reset button slot on the back of the unit.
2. Press and hold down the reset button for four seconds. The device reboots (this may take up to three minutes).

After resetting the drive, you may need to map it again. Please follow these steps to manually map the drive:

1. Connect the device directly to the computer’s Ethernet port.
2. Double-click (My) Computer.
3. Click My Network Places.
4. On the Tools menu, point to Map Network Drive.
5. Leave the drive set to the default letter.
6. In the Folder drop-down list, select \device name\public:
7. Click the Finish button.
8. Go back to the opening window of (My) Computer to view the Public folder of our device under Network Drives.

If Setup or WD SmartWare is unable to detect a My Book Live, then certain network protocols may be blocked on the network or the computer. In those cases, the My Book Live is available through a direct IP or network name connection. If the computer is on a wireless network, connect using an a Ethernet cable and try again. Temporarily disable any computer firewalls, security software, or other networking and retry. Check your local router for any firewalls or security software. If present, please check your router documentation on temporarily disabling the software or configuring the software to allow UPnP or UDP traffic.

These would be the necessary troubleshooting steps

============================

if you can’t get to the dashboard using the URL, can you get there by entering the IP address that your router assigned to it?

The quickview and Smartware both try to connect by using that spelled out URL.  Try changing your DNS to 8.8.8.8/8.8.4.4 as a test.  See if that helps.  That’s what worked for me; whatever DNS I was getting from my cable company couldn’t resolve that URL.

download this software, WD Link, and see if it finds your drive.  it works by ip address.

http://support.wdc.com/product/download.asp?groupid=902&sid=110&lang=en

cman548 wrote:

if you can’t get to the dashboard using the URL, can you get there by entering the IP address that your router assigned to it?

The quickview and Smartware both try to connect by using that spelled out URL.  Try changing your DNS to 8.8.8.8/8.8.4.4 as a test.  See if that helps.  That’s what worked for me; whatever DNS I was getting from my cable company couldn’t resolve that URL.

After the MBL reset, the router can’t detect the drive anymore.

I have tried to reserve an IP address in the router by setting the MAC address but it didn’t help either. The router needs to find the drive first.

Before I try the DNS setup (new territory for me), please allow me to ask a few questions:

• why do these DNS address values (primary/secondary) would help? - is it built-in on the MBL to recognize them?

• what will come next if the drive is found; these are automatically generated by the ISP, so it doesn’t seem it can be left this way

Wayne wrote:

download this software, WD Link, and see if it finds your drive.  it works by ip address.

http://support.wdc.com/product/download.asp?groupid=902&sid=110&lang=en

It didn’t work.

However, it found my WD TV. I like it, it’s a keeper!

then the mbl is not on the network, if it doesn’t show up.  I don’t remember, did you change cables, ports, etc. as basic troubleshooting?

Wayne wrote:

then the mbl is not on the network, if it doesn’t show up.  I don’t remember, did you change cables, ports, etc. as basic troubleshooting?

Yes, I did. I even bought a new router (long due, for other reasons).

It’s looking like it needs manufacturer service…

at this point, I agree.  it’s probably got a dead ethernet port.

Wayne wrote:

at this point, I agree.  it’s probably got a dead ethernet port.

Got RMA, shipping back.

Thank you all for the help.

you’re welcome.