Super slow speed on WD EX2?

My current setup is Wireless network in home with MAC Mini + 1 Windows 8 Laptop + 1 Macbook Air + 1 Windows 7 Laptop.

I’ve two HGST Deskstar NAS - 7200 RPM, 6Gb/s SATA Interface, 6TB.

I’ve configured it as RAID 1 in Dashboard to get maximum data security.

WD EX2 is connected directly to the router (Verizon FIOS) using ethernet cable that came along with the WD EX2.

Current firmware version of the WD EX2 is 1.05.30

While copying files from Mac mini to WD2 the RX/TX I’m seeing is 5MBP/0.25MBP, which is nowhere near the ehternet speed I was expecting from this thing.

All I need this thing is for databackup, I’ve no intention for using this to stream music to iTunes or anything like that.

Is there anything that can be done to speed things up before I return this thing ?

You are not the only one. 

If I wireless upload a movie with a size of 1.4gb from my tablet to my wdmycloudex2, it takes about 2 minutes,  but the next time I upload another movie with the same size,  it takes 10  to 15 minutes or more to finish! . 

Why? I don’t know. Movies are more or less the same. 

I’m the only user on the network. 

Well I tried to copy 393 GB of data, mostly pics and RAW files from anywhere 25-35MB size. And takes 22 hours to copy this much data. I think this is unacceptable performance. TX 0.03 MB / RX 5.0 MB - really ? I could copy more faster on USB 1.0.

mjoshi123 wrote:

My current setup is Wireless network in home with MAC Mini + 1 Windows 8 Laptop + 1 Macbook Air + 1 Windows 7 Laptop.

I’ve two HGST Deskstar NAS - 7200 RPM, 6Gb/s SATA Interface, 6TB.

I’ve configured it as RAID 1 in Dashboard to get maximum data security.

WD EX2 is connected directly to the router (Verizon FIOS) using ethernet cable that came along with the WD EX2.

Current firmware version of the WD EX2 is 1.05.30

While copying files from Mac mini to WD2 the RX/TX I’m seeing is 5MBP/0.25MBP, which is nowhere near the ehternet speed I was expecting from this thing.

All I need this thing is for databackup, I’ve no intention for using this to stream music to iTunes or anything like that.

Is there anything that can be done to speed things up before I return this thing ?

Just because you are connecting the WD EX2 via ethernet doesnt mean that you will get ggigabit speeds.  Yolu are sending the data WIRELESSLY from your other devices.  That is where your problem lies, NOT with the WD EX2. 

It doesnt matter what brand of NAS you purchase, you will get this type of performance given the setup you describe.

in a wireless connection distance from access point , noises from your neighbors access points, the negotiation of your wireless router and compatibility of the wireless network card adapter are the main factors for the speed of your wireless network

Thank you all for your input, here is what I did as an experiment to take wireless out of equation. I connected WD EX2 directly to my mac mini using etnernet cable that came with it. The average transfer rate jumped from 5MBPs to 50-60MBPS this route for a first transfer of 750GB from Macmini to WD EX2. This is more acceptable transfer rate. 

Now issues with this route

1. Even when I’m not doing any transfer and even when my mac mini is shutdown, still WD EX2 keeps showing some activity happening. Noone else is connected to WD EX2 except me on my home network. So what is going on here ?

2. More importantly on my second attempt to transfer 250GB of data from Mac Mini to WD EX2 the speed once again dropped to 5-10MBPs. What is going on now ? This thing is directly connected to my Mac mini using ethernet cable. Do I need to make any changes in dashboard when it is directly connected to the machine itself ?

thanks

MJ