SOLVED: Email links not working and Network Password Needed

I, like several others that have posted here, was having no luck getting the email links to files (that the WD My Cloud device generates) to work.  I would select a file using the WD My Cloud application, generate an email link, then email that link to a client… but it would never work… my client kept getting “User Not Authorized” errors, even though he should have been able to download the file without any further authorization, as the email link alone “authorizes” my client to download the file.

The “email link” feature has never worked for me, and the errors seem to have been introduced with the last firmware update.

Well, here’s the good news: I was able to solve all of my “email link” problems by doing a “FACTORY RESTORE/SYSTEM ONLY.”  This did not delete the files on my server, but I did have to re-create all of my users, re-do all of shares, reset all of my settings, and I had to re-connect all of my cloud devices.  But, it solved my “email link” problem.

The “System Only” restore also solved another problem that was annoying me. Ever since the most recent firmware update, I kept getting these double log-in dialogues.  First, I’d enter my email address and password to get into my server, but then I’d immediately get presented with a second “Network Password” dialogue box.  That was annoying for me, but sometimes my client would get hit with the same “Network Password” request when he would click on an email link to a file on my server (something that he should not have to supply).

Well, doing a “FACTORY RESTORE/SYSTEM ONLY” also solved the Network Password problem.  After the “System Only” restore, the server is no longer asking me for my Network Password.

So, I know it’s a pain, but I would recommend all of you to do a “FACTORY RESTORE/SYSTEM ONLY.”  It might solve a lot of your problems.  In my case, it solved my “email link” problem and the annoying “Network Password” problem.

Hello,

Good information. Thanks for sharing.

Hi,

I posted this in other threads as well, but I think it could be helpfull to know for the topic starter:

Regarding the email links not working, I experienced the same problem, but i found a solution without restoring factory settings.

I managed to make the links work by manually editing the portnumber in the link before sending the mail:

The first part of the link automatically generated by the desktop app looks like this:

http://WDMyCloud.deviceXXXXXXX.wd2go.com:8080/api/1.0/rest/file_contents/Public/xxxxetcetera

By manually editing the link and changing the port number to 80 the issue is fixed and the links are working:

http://WDMyCloud.deviceXXXXXXX.wd2go.com:80/api/1.0/rest/file_contents/Public/xxxxetcetera

(I replaced the device number in the link by X,  and removed the last part, for obvious reasons of course)

I am not sure if this fix only works for those of us that have forwarded port 80.

It would be great if the WD staff can look into this and apply a fix in future software/firmware updates.

Thanks,

Smartyx.

1 Like

I just go the same problem!

The generated link is NOT good since it does not take into consideration the Cloud Access Remote Access Configuration, i.e. port 8080…

Adding port :8080 to wd2go.com made my file download link work.

Need SOFTWARE UPDATE!

If you are MANUALLY configuring port forwarding in your router, you must ALSO configure Manual Port Forwarding on the My Cloud UI configuration.   Have you done that?

If you rename Device name (MyCLoud web page) u will have a problem.

e-mail ink will start with:
http://WDMyCloud.device13…

Old default name will be at the link instead of new device name. Change “WDMyCloud” in to your new device name.

I’ll try to figure it out how to change it for all files and links on disc.

Movieland wrote:

If you rename Device name (MyCLoud web page) u will have a problem.

Old default name will be at the link instead of new device name. Change “WDMyCloud” in to your new device name.

If you change the name, then just re-register your NAS into the Cloud service and the name will be updated.

There is no need to change or edit anything. Instead fo forwarding the ports with something like

8080 ->80

8443 ->443

or what ever high numbers you used just forward 80->80, 443->443 (as long as they are not blocked), and this works and I am using it and others solved their problem.

Movieland wrote:

If you rename  Device name  (MyCLoud web page) u will have a problem.

If you change the name, then just re-register your NAS into the Cloud service and the name will be updated.

How would I do that? I can’t find anything about how to do that on the WD Dashboard. 

This works for me as well and it indicates that the My Cloud firmware is ignoring the SETTINGS / GENERAL / CLOUD ACCESS \ CONFIGURE External Port 1 and External Port 2 settings. It should be using those values when it builds the URL link. 

I have tried cancelling the cloud service registration and re-registered, but all of the content sharing links still show the WDMyCloud name. The links work only if I change the name in each of them manually.

I have noticed that on opening the WD My Cloud software, the first screen shows two devices. One is listed under “Connected Devices” and has the original name of “WDMyCloudMirror”. The other is listed under “Devices Found in Your Network” and has the name that I assigned to it. However both devices are shown with the same IP address.

Does anyone know how can I get the system to generate the links with the correct device name?

Hi all,

Re-registering solved my problem, which actually means that the solution of system restore or using URLs with ports 8080 etc. are really not needed…

I’m no expert but I have explanations to that claim too:

using port 80 is like not writing port at all because it’s the default one. you only may need to mess with port numbers only if you are not using UPNP and make all the port-forwarding manually.

About the system-restore, well, it also performs re-registering so it solves the problem, but like in windows: it’s not a must to format your HDD to uninstall an application.:smiley: