SmartWare can't log into non-admin MyCloud account to do a backup

My Cloud 2TB with the latest firmware.

Latest Smartware.

Windows 7 Pro 64bit.

I setup My Cloud and created one admin account(called Laptop) and one regular account(called Desktop).I intend to use Smartware to automatically backup desktop into Desktop Private Share, and laptop into Laptop Private Share.

I’m on Smartware window where it asks me to select what I want to backup, and where I want to save the backup.The My Cloud was detected properly, and I have an option to choose whether I want to backup my laptop into Laptop or Desktop account.When I choose to backup into Laptop(admin account) it works fine.It accepts the My Cloud’s password for admin Laptop account with no issues.

When I do the same on my desktop, I enter My Cloud credentials for Desktop non-admin account, it does not recognize login properly.When I click OK the small credentials window closes but nothing happens.A message still says “Login required”.I’ve verified that I entered the password/username properly.I even tried to backup my laptop into Desktop account, but it doesn’t recognize the password.

In other words, Smartware can log into admin account but not regular account.This is not very useful because only one computer can be backup up (I want to keep backup separate).

Is this supposed to work like that or is there a bug ? If it’s not a bug, could you please consider this as a feature request ? To allow Smartware to backup into non-admin My Cloud account.

Thank you.

Hello,

I recommend you contact support directly for assistance with this.

Contact WD

Why would someone choose this as a solution? He asked a very simple question about the functionality of the software and you provided no assistance at all. So now, here I am having the same exact problem and now I only have this useless response to look at, with no information to help me understand if this is in fact a software bug and no idea how to proceed even though the issue could have been resolved for me by reading the forum. What a stupid waste. 

Why would someone choose this as a solution?

No-one has chosen this as a solution.

And, since no other users on this user forum have commented, it appears that no other users on this user forum have any useful advice to give, probably because they haven’t experienced the problem you are having.

If no-one has any experience of this problem, the only thing we can do is suggest you contact WD Support for assistance with your problem. Which is what the user moderator Hamlet originally did.

TheUltimate wrote:

When I do the same on my desktop, I enter My Cloud credentials for Desktop non-admin account, it does not recognize login properly.When I click OK the small credentials window closes but nothing happens.A message still says “Login required”.I’ve verified that I entered the password/username properly.I even tried to backup my laptop into Desktop account, but it doesn’t recognize the password.

On the desktops PC, are you able to log in and access the “desktop” share on the WD My Cloud outside of the SmartWare program?

One suggestion, if you haven’t done so already, is to reboot the desktop PC. Sometimes that clears up credential issues that may crop up with the operating system and software on that operating system. Another suggestion is to “map” the “desktop” share to the desktop PC and see if that helps.

How to map a My Cloud or NAS device on a Windows PC

If you haven’t done so already, you may want to take some time and read through the WD SmartWare User Manual to see if there is anything in there that may help.

See also Can't login to share using WD Smartware - #8 by NL-UK-Office-OPP
and
Can't log into My Cloud using Smartware to create a backup - #11 by Talal_Alfayez

I am not yet sure that I have an absolute result, but (temporarily) turning off my firewall, after checking & downloading the full suite of downloads from WD, seemed to work.
Odd - there were no alerts in teh firewall.
Still to check - will it work after firewall on & restart? Don’t know. But it is working now!

See this post for final, working solution.