Slow transfers, slow connection. Osx yosemite

Bought my cloud 4tb yesterday. Set up on gigabit router via ethernet took an hour and 2 attempts to setup via osx yosemite again connected to router via gigabit.

Transfers running at less than 1 mb/s after hanging at the start for about a minute. Tried connecting direct to the imac via ethernet and found without using the my cloud app transfers directly through finder were achieve about 30 mb/s - still slowish.
Thought maybe a cable issue so made a few new cablesand used a new cable between imac/router and another router/my cloud. Occasionally gives a burst at the start of transfer but then almost imediately drops to below 1 mb/s. Have also tried 2 gigabit routers.

Basically its unusable from imac through a switch/router. Any ideas ?

Just to add, i have now tested over wifi and acheive 10m/s over that, so it appears to be purely an ethernet problem when connected through a router/switch.

Strange.

Now if i enable wifi and ethernet on the imac i get 22 mb/s. There does seem to be an issue with yosemite, in anyones opinion whats the best speed i should get writing to the drive ?

I’m using macbook air yosemite.

Copying using finder to WD My CLoud via samba (smb) over Wifi, I get around 8-10 MBps (mega bytes/s)

Hello, welcome to the WD community.

Are you still trying to use the WD My Cloud? Have you tried  mapping the drive? If you are to map it try using AFP instead of SMB.

Do you have the WD My Cloud local software installed? I have recently found that installing this software slows down LAN (wired) performance. I have tried this 4 separate times on a Windows 7 ultimate machine. All tests resulted in an average of 30-40 MB/s transfer speed with software installed, and 80-90 MB/s without the WD software installed.

Regards,

Jeroen

Hi, thanks for your replies. I now have it working anywhere between 20 mb/s and 30 mb/s but i have to say yosemite network setup is bordering on a joke.

I update the firmware on the wd my cloud. I connected via wi-fi first. I then connected via ethernet. Then eventually discovered that if i enabled both wifi and ethernet on the mac with ethernet at the top of the network list then i got the speeds mentioned above. This is setup as a standard smb share.

It took an awful lot of time and effort and doing things in certain orders to get to this point so i am wary of changing as finally its usable.

I am interested in this mapping you suggest though - is smb not a mapped drive ?

Thanks maybe try that once ive moved everything i need to !

Hi everyone!

I’m using WDMC with two Macs and the speed is terribly slow! I wonder why there’s still no solution?

WD stands for compatibility of it’s product with Mac OS while in fact it provides miserable performance!

What’s my setup? Gigabit NetGear Router. Wifi 802.11n. WDMC with the latest firmware at the moment.

• PC /Win7/ machine (wired connection) gives 40-60 Megabytes per second reading speed via SMB.
  • iMac /Mac OS X Mavericks 10.9/  (wired connection) gives 13-14 Megabytes per second at max. No matter which protocol (SMB, AFP, NFS) is used!
  • The same 13-14 Megabytes speed per second on Macbook Air /Mac OS Yosemite/

You cannot blame network in this case: PC shows up good speed. Looks like the NAS has a problem.

Any ideas? Any workarounds? What confuses me is the fact that all protocols give slow speed.

Would be great to hear anything from WD staff…

greenroland wrote:

Would be great to hear anything from WD staff…

Unfortunately there are no WD Staff here except for the few WD Moderators.

For some reason it is the users that are supporting the users with workarounds and solutions rather then a WD tech guy that will lead you with a straight answer on how things works.

So on to the workarounds from a user that has been hanging around here for ages… 

check out this post …

http://community.wd.com/t5/WD-My-Cloud/before-you-pack-up-your-WD-and-return-it-let-s-talk-about/td-p/683307

and I’ll try to answer any other questions that you may have here… or if not me, Bennor, cpt_paranoia, Nazar78 or Tonyph12345 will jump in with some solutions. Just remember to click on the star beside their name to give them a kudos (sort of a reward for helping you), the kudos is what gives the Top Kudoed Authors their ranks which then gives them more incentives to help people for free…

BTW, I am both a PC and a Mac user on Yosemite and SMB will give you the fastest speed despite AFP being an Apple protocol. Apple in their wisdom decided to support SMB2 with Lion a couple of years ago and so all their knowledge went into SMB2 giving you up to 80MB/s reads from the Cloud. However you will need to connect via AFP (60MB/s reads) once in awhile for certain workarounds especially for very very large directories like ebooks which for me contains up to 20,000 entries and only connecting via AFP will allow me to peruse that directory within 5 minutes. SMB will take about 30 minutes to respond. AFP is also needed for Apple’s time machine.

So go on and read the post… and I’ll check in tomorrow…

Sorry to say, Ralphael. But there’s nothing but general words in your post. I’m IT guy in fact and I do understand the things you mentioned. Though there’s nothing about the “superslow Macos speed” issue.

I would blame a particular Mac, but there are two different ones, same problem. Plus, a “superfast” PC on other side.

Same router. Same WDMC.

Where’s the problem?

Well the Mac air given that it is WIfi has a max speed of what you have indicated unless you bought an adapter that allows you to attach an ethernet, that is the max speed of Wifi AC if you have an AC router.

On your iMac, I’m guessing that you have wifi turned on too… Go turn it off and make sure that only ethernet is turned on.

Let me know if that was true… I’ll wait here till you check… (I waited awhile and had to go back to sleep… see you in the morning). But just a side note on this, I once had both the ethernet and wifi settings on and my speed defaulted to wifi, so that is how I found out that I got wifi speeds instead of my gigabit ethernet speeds. 

Okay are you sure your iMac has a gigabit ethernet?

go Open Network preferences, select your ethernet from the left scroll, then click on advanced, click on tab hardware and see what the speed is?

Finally, I sorted out the problem.

First, about the slow speed over WIFI. Indeed, 802.11n standard gives “up to” 300Mbps, but actual transfer speed is limited by 150 Mbps in my case. Measured by iperf utility (google it if you’re interested). 150 Mbps gives 13-15 Megabytes per second, so it’s normal. If I want more speed, I need 802.11 a/c router.

Now about the slow transfer speed over Gigabit Ethernet wired connection iMac<->WDMC via Gigabit router. Just to remind, I got up to 16 Megabytes per second, not more. OS X Mavericks (10.9).

How did I fix it? I connected through SSH to WDMC, and added the following strings to the /etc/samba/smb.conf file:

# Settings to enhance performance:
strict locking = no
read raw = yes
write raw = yes
oplocks = yes
max xmit = 65535
deadtime = 15
getwd cache = yes
socket options = TCP_NODELAY SO_SNDBUF=64240 SO_RCVBUF=64240
# End of performance section

Then connected SMB shares on iMac: Finder (Command+K), type AFP://192.168.1.8/Your_share (put your WDMC IP address instead of 192.168.1.8). Now my result is 63 Megabytes per second. Not bad!

Снимок экрана 2015-08-26 в 20.57.59.png

According to:

https://www.samba.org/samba/docs/using_samba/appb.html

strict locking = no [default]
read raw = yes [default]
write raw = yes [default]
oplocks = yes [default]
max xmit = 65535 [default]
deadtime = 15 [non-default: “Specifies the time in minutes before an unused connection will be terminated. Zero means never. Used to keep clients from tying up server resources for long periods of time. If used, clients must autoreconnect after the specified period of inactivity.”]
getwd cache = yes [default]
socket options = TCP_NODELAY SO_SNDBUF=64240 SO_RCVBUF=64240 [TCP_NODELAY is default: others must be Apple-specific?]

Not sure about the deadtime setting. That seems to say it will disconnect after 15 minutes of inactivity, and a lot of Apple users have reported their drives don’t stay connected.  Could that be the reason?

I note a lot of hits for SO_RCVBUF=64240 but not much in the way of explanation…  Any suggestions?

Aha! that looks familiar… No explanation, though…

How do you measure the speeds, and which AC router are you now looking at?

I’m in the same boat here.

greenroland wrote:

How did I fix it? I connected through SSH to WDMC, and added the following strings to the /etc/samba/smb.conf file:

strict locking = no
read raw = yes
write raw = yes
oplocks = yes
max xmit = 65535
deadtime = 15
getwd cache = yes
socket options = TCP_NODELAY SO_SNDBUF=64240 SO_RCVBUF=64240

Then connected SMB shares on iMac: Finder (Command+K), type AFP://192.168.1.8/Your_share (put your WDMC IP address instead of 192.168.1.8). Now my result is 63 Megabytes per second. Not bad!

Good to see that you found a possible workaround. Have you tested this against a Windows or other non Mac PC or device? Be interested to see or know if this helps other OS’s or devices or if its stricly for Mac’s.