ShareSpace Upgrade Problem - Critical Issues

As several others have noted, I made the mistake of upgrading my 8 Tb ShareSpace resulting in significant performance loss as well as problems of access. There are time critical documents on this drive. 

If there is a Western Digital representative reading this please answer asap:

a) Is it possible to go back to the previous version ?

b) Is there a time estimate on when a patch will be available ?

If both answers are negative, can someone please supply the name and the address of the legal counsel of this company since I need to sue them for gross negligence and potentially willful misconduct based on my experience and other comments contained in this community.

Thank you.

I say “Good Luck” I submitted this problem through support srvices. Here’s how they seem to chose to handle it:

(copied from email).

Dear Dennis,

Thank you for contacting Western Digital Customer Service and Support. My name is Lucero

I apologize for the delayed response.

Is you mac connected wireless or wired?

Do you get the same issue on another MAC or PC?

Is the share space connected to a switch or router.

What kind of router do you have?

Please see the link below.

Answer Title: How to map a WD ShareSpace or a My Book World (white light) network drive on a Mac computer
Answer Link: http://wdc.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/wdc.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=2686

I have found WD support to be the worst of any company I have ever had to deal with. Not that interested in fixing the problem in a timely manner. I have had my setup for a year. You would have thought they would read my diagnostics I sent. But they didn’t.

I wish us luck getting any response or fix. If you can use AppleShare that will work, but you must have that protocol support on your clients (I have macs)

–dennis

Hi,

I had the same problem as you,and I have managed to gain access again by modifying  /usr/private/user_smb_conf/.smbconf, adding the shared directories …

I have already contacted WD support, but still no answer.

I hope this help.

Cheers

Abdo

Hi Abdo,

I have the same problem, not being able to login to web after the latest firmware upgrade. Am i am still not able to, can u kindly share you steps how you can gain access to the device. I am totally lockout, i can only see the web page of which i couldnt login, i can’t ssh, telnet etc to the device. Kindly advise.

-Ryan

Hi Ryan,

I am at office right now, I will give more details about the things I have done on my 4T ShareSpace once at home tonight (Bangkok time).

But after the upgrade, I had the admin connection and a ssh access. While you say that you cannot communicate with your device !!!

Cheers

Abdo

Affirmative, i can only see web login of which i couldnt login using the default admin/admin. I believe the reason i couldn’t use SSH, telnet, FTP after the upgrade as i have not previously enabled it from the web interface before. 

Appreciate your help.

-RL

Ryan, what about the WD Discovery software, does it recognize your sharespace ?

Have you tried to reset your device ?

I have changed the admin passwd and after the upgrade, the password was not altered.

I remember after the update, i was unable to log in, and i remember i have tried the default password admin/admin, thinking that it has been reset… Then, I have rebooted the device, and i managed to login.

I believe you have already rebooted it several times :wink:

Cheers

Ryan,

well, first thing is to get an access to your device. If reset didn’t work, maybe you should take a look at this, though don’t know if it works for sharspace.

http://martin.hinner.info/mybook/sshaccess.php

Actually, I didn’t have explorer or WD discovery access to PUBLIC and DOWNLOAD shared directories, I had access to only ONE shared directory that i have created, let’s say SHAREDDIR. And I still had access to the management page via admin/ (which is not your case)

I used “ptty” to access the sharespace device and execute commands.

and I have noticed that /usr/private/user_smb_conf/.smbconf had only ONE shared directory entry, the SHAREDDIR entry.

So I added the other two to this file which looked like

[Public]

path = /DataVolume/Public

comment = Public Share (Full Access)

writable = yes

map read only = no

[Download]

path = /DataVolume/Download

comment = Download Share (Full Access)

writable = yes

map read only = no

[SHAREDDIR]

path = /DataVolume/SHAREDDIR

comment = SHAREDDIR Folder (Full Access)

writable = yes

map read only = no

As soon as I have modified the file, access through windows explorer was again operational for the three directories.

you should try to open the ssh access, i think it also reset the password …

keep me posted.

Cheers

Abdo

Yeah, i can see my Share Space with WD Discovery, i can also see the folders, Public, Download and Configure. However when i tried to click into it, it just say that my password is not correct. I have done reboots and then system reset many times and i am sure it was a successful reset as my device name and IP address were changed the first time. Still i couldnt login using my old and the default admin/admin login/pwd. I hv tried different browsers. I cant access the device via ssh either. I hv tried the Mionet without success too.  Now, I am completely locked out from my data :(. 

Really, i dont know what else to do. Any other suggestions?

have you tried to open the ssh access using the link i mentioned in my previous post ?

have you tried the guest/guest login/passwd ?

Have you tried to use in a cmd window, the “net use” command with different user/password sets ? BTW, you are using Windows OS aren’t you?

Can you scan the open ports on your sharespace and post the result ?

amalac wrote:

have you tried to open the ssh access using the link i mentioned in my previous post ?

That particular exploit wont work for the sharespace it was specifically for the older blue ring style MyWorldBook.  You mention “ptty” which I would take to mean a pseudo terminal but perhaps you really mean PuTTY ? 

@Angryuser, are you saying sshd is running but you have the same user/password issue? I assume you realise you should be connecting via ssh as user ‘root’ not admin or any other username you have created. 

kwyjibo wrote:

amalac wrote:

That particular exploit wont work for the sharespace it was specifically for the older blue ring style MyWorldBook.  You mention “ptty” which I would take to mean a pseudo terminal but perhaps you really mean PuTTY ? 

OK, thanks for the feedback on the ssh exploit.

Actually i use PuTTY but i am not sure which terminal Ryan is using, that’s why i mentioned ptty’.

Ryan said he never activated the ssh before the update, I asked him to scan the ports, to see what services he has on his sharespace.

It’s strange the reset didn’t work !!!

I am surprised i haven’t heard from WD support, I logged the firmware problem early this week…

Yeah it is pretty bad that Western Digital haven’t even bothered to post in this forum to at least say they are aware there is an issue and they are looking into it. I am sure that is the case, but I can see WD reps are actively posting on other *easy* topics and have so far ignored all of these threads… 

For what it’s worth, I have been running smbd 3.5.3 for the past week and I have recently had some issues with shares disappearing, I am using an almost identical smb.conf  as was used on the WD version of samba so it may be worth taking a look at some of the more esoteric global options that may be causing problems.

I apologize for the delay in responding, but we have already started looking into this.  There are a couple of things you need to know…

1. At this time, there is no way to revert back to your original firmware version. 
  2. If you have been modifying anything through SSH, it may contribute to the problem. 
  3. If your drive is completely bricked, you will need to contact Tech Support for further help on it. 

To Contact WD for Technical Support
http://support.wdc.com/contact/index.asp?lang=en

If any of you are open to this, it would be very helpful if you private messaged me with your serial number, so we can further investigate the issue.  Do not publicly post your serial number.  It can create a privacy issue for you.

1 Like

Thank you Bill,

I have logged a Pb ticket at WD support more than a week ago, and no reply till now.

I CANNOT wait for the support to access my data … I think you can understand.

When it comes to me (and i think most of the guys around), i have tried to modify the samba conf file to access my data, I haven’t really messed up with the system files…

I hope that the support will react SOON.

Thanks

Abdo

Hello PM,

Question, how do i send a private message to you? I can send you my Incident number too.

If there is no way to revert back to original firmware, what about upgrade or downgrade locally, without using the web interface? e.g. via USB, serial, LAN etc. I am sure the developers would hv a quick backdoor to do this. We can chat privately on this.

I have not used SSH or not hacked into the device before.

For the problem i am having, Tech Support cant help me with it, it has been two weeks already without any satisfatory resolution. I was told to send back the device for warranty replacement or send the device to WD partners for data recovery at my own costs!!.

-Ryan

The main issue with trying to “revert” to an earlier firmware, is that this firmware is really  based on the Linux operating system. They would have to provide a method for basically wiping the entire system and doing a complete bundled install from scratch. If you use ssh and login into the system, you will see what I mean. There are the usual filesystem architecture/semantics typical of a Linux system. To try and back-out the piece-parts would likely make it unstable.

For those of you who have clients systems that support AppleShare protocol, this seems to work just fine. It’s the SMB shares which as others stated, is under control of Samba on the ShareSpace. What’s pretty laughable, to me, is I’ve been getting email from WD support asking for my HD serial numbers so they can replace the “bad hardware”, even though I’ve told them all the hardware is performing well and have pointed them to this forum.

sigh,

–dennis

Looks like the 2.2.8 firmware has been pulled from the download site (thankfully!).

–dennis

Angryuser wrote:

Hello PM,

Question, how do i send a private message to you? I can send you my Incident number too.

If there is no way to revert back to original firmware, what about upgrade or downgrade locally, without using the web interface? e.g. via USB, serial, LAN etc. I am sure the developers would hv a quick backdoor to do this. We can chat privately on this.

I have not used SSH or not hacked into the device before.

For the problem i am having, Tech Support cant help me with it, it has been two weeks already without any satisfatory resolution. I was told to send back the device for warranty replacement or send the device to WD partners for data recovery at my own costs!!.

-Ryan

To private message me, just click on my username up on the left of the post.  Then on the right side you’ll see where it says to send a private message to the user.  Give me your information, so I can see what I can do.

Hi,

It seems like everyone is having slightly different experiences.  For example, after my update, smbd wasn’t even running on the device (confirmed by ssh’ing in and doing a ps auxwww - no smbd).  I was also unable to start it up manually as a random library was missing.  I reluctantly installed (see my earlier posts in different thread) a packaged samba binary - that worked great.  Same config and no problems starting up.  So for me, in addition to the login foo, samba wouldn’t start.

I agree, you don’t want to muck around in ssh, but WDC’s lack of support/voice on these forums is pretty irritating.

BTW, my system has been running fine for over a week with this pre-packaged samba binary…I’ve transferred several gig of data to the device over the last week with no issues.  I’ve even experienced a few reboots courtesy of my 2 year old and things have started up properly.

Paul