ShareSpace Upgrade Problem - Critical Issues

Paul,

I am willing to try this packaged samba installation method; if it is a relatively painless procedure - can you please elaborate ? Thank you.

Paul has already described it

check the following link :

http://community.wdc.com/t5/WD-ShareSpace/After-Update-To-2-2-8-No-CIFS-Shares-Accessable/td-p/25827/page/2

Cheers

Bill,

I did not see anythting about whether WD is working on this problem or not?

What is the anticipated time before this is resolved?

Several peole are having this problem…

I have two 4TB Sharespaces. I hope your test-team is working hard on an answer…

Regards,

Amsterdam:cry:

The only good thing today is that we (Netherlands) just won the Soccer game against Japan.

We finally won also.  I’m sure they’re working on it.  The problem is that once a fix is finally completed, testing does take a while.  And believe it or not, we do test. 

Hi Amalac,

Sorry for responding so late as i was travelling. Now i am back and able to do all the required troubleshooting. First of all, thanks for your time and help and i really appreciate it. 

Answer to your questions

a) have you tried to open the ssh access using the link i mentioned in my previous post ?

Yes, it didnt work. One thing i am not sure with this link is, if my IP address of Sharespace device is 192.168.2.4, so the URL that i type should be " http://192.168.2.4/auth/firmware_upgrade.pl?fwser ver=martin.hinner.info/mybook/firmware.php". The reference “martin.hinner.info”, what should i change to? Also, the reference 'mybook", should i change to ‘wdsharespace’?

b) have you tried the guest/guest login/passwd ?

Yes, i have tried admin/admin and guest/guest and admin/. All didnt work. The observation is, if i use guest or admin logins, i will get error "User name and password do not match when you login ‘Network Storage Manager’! and warning,  “Warning: in_array(): Wrong datatype for second argument in /proto/SxM_webui/index.php on line 41”. However, if i use admin/ or any incorrect login/pwd, i wont see these warning and error, the web login page will just refresh with login prompt again. 

c) Have you tried to use in a cmd window, the “net use” command with different user/password sets ? BTW, you are using Windows OS aren’t you?

Yes, i am using XP. When i type net use, i get message below:-

Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]

(C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

C:\Documents and Settings\rylau\Desktop>net use

New connections will be remembered.

Status       Local     Remote                    Network

-------------------------------------------------- -----------------------------

OK                     \192.168.2.4\IPC$        Microsoft Windows Network

The command completed successfully.

C:\Documents and Settings\rylau\Desktop>

Microsoft Windows XP Version 5.1.2600 Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.
C:\Documents and Settings\rylau\Desktop>net useNew connections will be remembered.

Status       Local     Remote                    Network
-------------------------------------------------- -----------------------------

OK    \192.168.2.4\IPC$        Microsoft Windows NetworkThe command completed successfully.

d) Can you scan the open ports on your sharespace and post the result ?

There are only 3 open ports, 80, 139 and 445. The rest is closed.  How can i enable SSH?

Again, appreciate your kindness and help and i thank you in advance. I am desperate as WDC support is not able to help. I was suggested to recover my data at my own costs. 

-RL

Angryuser, read your private messages.

Hi Bill,

Any news on this one, Bill?

We are almost two months later and I still can’t use my two 4GB backup sharespaces.

When choosing for a reputable brand like WD, I expect some more action in resolving such a critical issue.

I also asked the servicedesk, but they didn’t respond …

Hope you will have some good news soon, Bill!

Cheers,

Amsterdam

They just came out with a firmware update for the My Book World, so the Sharespace shouldn’t be too far behind.  That’s my best guess.

I don’t think any of us burned by the last update are going to rush to install a new one without first seeing some good reports by the “field test organizations,” AKA customers, as to whether or not the next update is a good one.

In that case, no news will be good news.

Bill you seem to be close to the news. I still have two 8 Gb units that are basically not used because of this pulled upgrade. Should I count on some new release before the end of the month or should I go buy something else and throw these away ?

I know they’re working on it, but I don’t know when it will be released.  It all depends on testing.

I see new firmware update!!! any takers??? i m sooo reluctant to upgrade after my past experience…

I’m reluctant, too, since the release notes for the 2.2.9 version mention nothing about fixing performance issues.

Hi all,

Has anybody upgraded their Sharespace, after they have expreienced the “datavolume does not exist”  issue, and found that their precious data was still safe?

First let me say this is the worst piece of junk we ever bought. Can join it to a domain, can’t see any users. Can not map drives, can not see any shares. Have reset  countless times and re-configured. Yes, 2003 domain, yes less than 35 users…figured we would try firmware upgrade. First file downloaded says there is an incorrect character in the file. Went to down load again and now all firmware links are pointing to the same page with nothing more than usless instrutions for doing the auto update. I am not paying support to fix something that should work out of the box. This is a huge let down. Will think 1000 times before we buy a WD product ever again.

yeah, i upgraded. no problems so far! working great!

ALTHOUGH it has broken the downloader interface i wrote for it.

No. No proxy. Automated update doesn’t work.

this is really disappointing. Average economic life of these devices is 2 years. Already months have passed. I’m sorry to say, but WD has stolen my money with this crappy ‘product’  and ‘service’ . I am going to claim my money back and file a complaint with WD and send my comments also to the bigger PC magazines as well to warn people not to buy this piece of ■■■■. This is like buing a Eastern European pre-1980 car instead of luxurious western quality. Again: very very very disappointed

After successful update to firmware version 2.2.9 I rebooted my ShareSpace 8TB and now I cannot access to it either from web, ssh, ftp, smb. However I can ping it as well as I can see it in the list of available network resources.

Reset with the button on the back panel doesn’t help.
I have already created the corresponding support ticket.

What else can I try?

Any prompt and clear suggestions would be very much appreciated.