Set up new backup and keep existing data

Hi.  I’m new here, but have been using MyBook for a couple of years.  I’m sure my question has been asked and answered many times, but I couldn’t find it.

I’ve been backing up my C drive using WD My Book Essentials USB 2.0 for a couple of years,  Recently I had to reformat my C drive and reinstall Windows 7 Home Premium SP1.  (no, I don’t want to talk about it!)   Now I want to restore from MyBook back to my C drive.  To do that I need to reinstall the WD software, which leads to my questions. 

how should I install the WD software so that I can keep the existing backup and also start the new one.  I’ve looked at the WD drive and found, among other things a directory/file called WD SmartWare.swstor\DELLSTUDIOXPS"  and NO I haven’t changed anything in any of the files. I assume what’s on the drive is the “old” data I want to restore.  So, how do I keep that and set up the backup for my “new” C: drive. 

Thanks for any help. 

You need to reinstall SmartWare,  you will be able then to retrieve your backup and create a new one, It will not be mixed with old one since a folder is created for each computer that SmartWare backups.

i have similar question. I have a new PC that I’d like to recover some files to from my WD. How do I “retrieve” my old backups ? I’ve installed the software in new PC, but retrieve tab is not available ?  And the manual does not offer any help in  this area…at least non that I can find…