Serial Comm Console password

Since recently I’ve been able to connect to My Cloud Home Duo via Serial connection and UART to USB cable as described here INSTALL ENTWARE ON WD MY CLOUD HOME (SSH ACCESS, NFS SERVER, OPKG install packages) - #65 by Kryten

Now the terminal console asks for a password and none seems to work. I tried

• blank
  • root
  • admin
  • password
  • my WD user password
Please press Enter to activate this console.
starting pid 6250, tty '/dev/ttyS0': '/bin/login'
Password:
Login incorrect

The device Software version is 8.12.0-178

Any ideas?

@mdvrk The Duo is a slightly different beast and so the technique may not work the same way or may be likely to brick your NAS. With a single disk MCH you have to take the disk out of the enclosure, plug it into a linux system, mount it and hack the files to enable root logon. Then put it back and connect the USB terminal cable. With a Duo there is probably (I’m guessing here) another layer of firmware that is mirroring the disks.

The UART (Serial to USB) connection in the past didn’t have any password to login. That’s changed in the recent firmware upgrade, I guess. I wonder if anyone knows the passord.

WD has introduced Local Access user.
However, this user has no effect on serial-comm login.

https://support-en.wd.com/app/answers/detailweb/a_id/34991/~/how-to-enable-local-network-access-to-data-on-my-cloud-home-and-ibi-using-the

It smells like security through obscurity, which is yet another reason why the My Cloud Home is a dud that should be avoided at all costs.

In fact, the MCH reminds me of a roach motel, they let you in but you can’t get out.

Roach Motel

Any update regarding this?
Without login, the device is for me useless.

I replaced now the product with Synology NAS, thx WD for destroying a working product with this update (no DLNA, no FTP, …)