Safepoint fails

Yes, I am running 7 Pro on all my computers (dumped Windows 8 after ~6 crashes in 2 months on new XPS). Problem is, that every now and again I get the Invalid Safepoint message and have to manually update them. This only started happening after the new firmware update…

Guess I’ll be returning the WD MyBook World Drive I just purchased to backup my MyCloud! I can’t even access MyCloud when I connect it to the MyCloud. Once I was able to see the MyBook directory but could not see any contents. What a PIA to have these two WD devices have compatibility issues. I got the MyBook on sale for $76.00. Now I’ll have to spend almost a $100.00 more to get another MyCloud!  What a plan WD!

Yeah this hasn’t worked for me as yet. I wonder when / if I get this working will I have to go through this process again when Yosemite comes out.

Hola, yo cada mes y medio hago un safepoint. Desde la nueva actualizacion de firmware no hay manera de poder hacer un safepoint. ¿Sabeis cual es el problema?

Quiero hacer un safepoint por si falla el disco.

Un saludo.

Here’s a new one for me:

When safepoint completes under Notifications I’m now getting TWO notifications. The first “There was an error updating your safepoint” and the second “Your safepoint was updated successfully”.

Really inspires confidence in the safepoint process.

Al final hoy he podido hacer el safepoint. Deberia ser algun error de servidor.

Un saludo.

Safepoints failing again.

Update… :angry:

Reverted OS to Windows 7 Pro as I had so many crashes with 8.1. Tried to recreate safepoints (with old firmware as firmware update was trash), and now cannot create Safepoint to Network HD.

So, solution only worked briefly.

Ok, I give up.  I have wasted way too much time trying to backup my 4T MyCloud to my LiveBook.  Anyone know a good backup program that will backup one WD drive to the other?

Yes, I have tried a direct connect USB.  Same failure type.  Even only backed up the same 3.6 gig of music.  Nothing but music files.

Thanks for the suggestion.

I have given up myself. Lesson(s) learned, NO MORE WD PRODUCTS FOR ME AND MY FAMILY! Hello my old friend Seagate!

I assume you are a Mac user from the reference to Time Machine.

I also had the “failed request” error code and the only way I solved it was by eliminating files on the MyCloud that safepoint doesn’t seem to like.

When I eliminated iphoto libraries and a vmware virtual machine from the files on the MyCloud, safepoint ran successfully.  I don’t know whether it’s just those two kinds of files that safepoint doesn’t like, or whether it’s generally the kind of Mac files that are “package” files (where you can choose Show package contents with a right click in Finder).  Whatever, without those files, safepoint runs complete.

@a18ion,

Have you ever been able to do the safepoint with iPhoto on the My Cloud?  This is kind of a deal breaker for me if I am going to move to a Macbook Air with SSD

Hi,  the short answer is no.  iPhoto libraries don’t work on WD My Cloud.

The long answer is that you can transfer an iPhoto library onto the My Cloud if you use your Mac to “Show package contents” in Finder and transfer it in bits.  But then it tends not to work as well.  I was once able to transfer my library that way, and read it from the My Cloud, but it was incredibly slow and the “save” failed after I had made modifications to photos in the library.

Secondly, once I had transferred the iphoto library to the My Cloud, the safepoint failed.  I’ve never been able to get past that one.

So, my idea, as I’m sure is yours, was to offload my iPhoto library to the My Cloud to free up Mac HD space.  And since that would have been the only copy of the library, and now outside the Mac’s Time Machine backup, I’d have the My Cloud Safepoint keep a back-up copy.

I’ve not been able to make any of that work.  I’ve moved my iphoto libraries to a separate USB hard drive, and back them up by hand to yet another USB hard drive.   The My Cloud purchase was wasted for that. 

Wish I would have found this forum before I purchase this thing… money wasted!

How can you mess up a simple Backup program… and to top that it uses Java for remote browser access… the #1 Security nightmare!

Western Digital is still living in the 90’s… they need to fire their programmers and start new.

I bacsically bought an external HDD… becuase that is all this thing is good for!

~ragtech

1 Like

I’m on board with ragtech!