RMA Status explanations

does anyone know what the different rma statuses actually mean? 

i know of “waiting,” “submitted,” and “closed”

but does anyone know exactly what those mean? 

i’d assume waiting is - waiting for more information or for the product to be shipped back to them

if status is “closed” does that mean the rma is complete?  in the case of the advanced RMA WD has received your defective drive or not drive is needed to be sent in because the status is “closed” (completed?) 

does submitted just mean it’s being proessed or does that mean the rma is completed? - what’s the difference between closed and submitted?

additionally - with the advanced  RMA will the charge for the replacement drive go on your card until WD receives your defective drive or do you only see a charge on the card after the 30/120 day grace period? 

thanks!

Hello,

I recommend you contact WD support directly for assistance with this.

General Phone Support

I just called and didn’t really get a solid answer. I’m not sure the ahem understood me and I’m pretty sure I didn’t understand him but it seems that if the status is changed to “closed” it means the RMA is complete - - regardless of advanced RMA or regular RMA nothing additional is needed - whether that be a payment or sending a drive back to them.

Can anyone confirm this?

I’m just trying to understand the different status terms.

So I received a response that said something along the lines of “the status updates are for internal use”

…at this point I still have yet to get an answer as to what the different status updates mean. Considering they are posted as updates for the user to view - I’d imagine they are meant to be used as points of reference for the user as well as internally.

…so what do the different status mean?

I still don’t know what the difference between submitted, waiting and closed really mean.

Is it possible for the RMA’s status to close while WD still has a hold on your credit card?

These seem like fair questions.

Makes me nervous to do an advanced RMA if I can’t get an answer on this topic

smilesdavis wrote:

So I received a response that said something along the lines of “the status updates are for internal use”

…at this point I still have yet to get an answer as to what the different status updates mean. Considering they are posted as updates for the user to view - I’d imagine they are meant to be used as points of reference for the user as well as internally.

…so what do the different status mean?

I still don’t know what the difference between submitted, waiting and closed really mean.

Is it possible for the RMA’s status to close while WD still has a hold on your credit card?

These seem like fair questions.

Makes me nervous to do an advanced RMA if I can’t get an answer on this topic

I don’t know what the statuses mean – I have three RMA’s, all settled even though the older two show status SUBMITTED and the last one shows CLOSED.

All were done as advance, and they didn’t necessarily take the hold off immediately when they got the old drives back, but that didn’t bother me because I didn’t have to pay it. If they never took if off it would expire in whatever period your bank policy states. There would only be a problem if you tend to max out your credit card.

I bought their prepaid UPS shipping labels for all, tracked them, and kept proof that they were received and signed for withing the 30 days. As long as I had proof of delivery in hand, I wasn’t worried about having to pay.

I was told by WD that the labels they sell carry insurance “from their end.” If you choose your own shipping method just make sure the package is insured and trackable.

Jim

I really wonder about the RMA status ? It is already one week my dead drive arrived at the collection center in germany and the RMA status still show “waiting to receive” for this drive.
Last time I did a standard RMA (2 years ago) I already got back the replacement drive within a week. Advance RMA took only two days to receive the drive…
I am a loyal WD buyer mostly cos of the great service they provide and the reliability of the drives. But this is really disappointing…