Retrieve Data from non-working MyCloud Home

I’m looking for a hail mary here. I’ve had this for just a few months now. It was pretty awesome the first month, but then we moved and I brought it with me. Now I can’t get this thing to work. I get the fast flashing white light. I’ve researched what it means, and it definitely isn’t connectivity.

I’ve tried the <30 second reset, between 30 and 50 reset, but not the over 60 reset because this is a factory reset and I really really need the data. Is there any way to retrieve it? Can I mount this in a Linux VM?

Thanks in advance!

“Fast Flashing” white LED means the unit is not getting an IP address from your router. The My Cloud Home is DHCP only.

Hi SBrown, great idea. So is there a way to “enable” DHCP? Or is it based on IP address?

Best shot is to get a router or access point and enable the DHCP Server on that equipment and connect that equipment to the mycloud home. then try to access the mycloud home using the wd desktop app (not the internet browser). You might need to enable IGMP Snooping on the modem/router so that you can acces the mycloud from outside your network.

So it looks like there’s something else going on. Does anyone know how to remove the hard drive and mount it to a PC to bypass all the MyCloud stuff? I think it’s Linux based, so I’ll need to spin up a Ubuntu VM. I really need to try to get my data off of the drive, and I’m getting quoted $800 for professionals.