Red light and no drive detection on PC

Hi, anyone knows if my drive is dead? When i connect it there is an amber light initialising then goes to a constant red light. No blinking whatsoever.

This happened when i changed location from another home. My PC or home network can’t detect it.

Any solutions or do i have break the chassis to salvage the drive.

Any suggestions is most appreciated.

Am using 4TB version.

@paulram80 Since you did not say which generation of My Cloud you have I suggest you look at this and check the User Manual for your generation of My Cloud. See LEDs.

https://support.wdc.com/product.aspx?ID=904&lang=en

How old is your My Cloud?

Hi cta0w.

Its the WDBCTL0040HWT-00 series.

My PC doesn’t detect it at all even though i connected to home router. Tried the 40 sec reset. Orange light and then goes to a stable red light.

I have the same unit with same problem - looking forward to fix. helps…

What troubleshooting steps have you tried?

Have you tried connecting the My Cloud directly to a computer’s networking port?
Have you tried replacing the Ethernet cable between the My Cloud and the router?
Have you tried a different networking port on the router?
Have you checked the router’s administration page to see if the router is handing out an IP address to the My Cloud?
When moving was the network router changed?
Have you tried a 40 second reset?

In certain rare cases the network router can cause a conflict with the My Cloud. The workaround is to use a network switch between the My Cloud and the network router.

To know what a front red led might mean for one’s single bay/single drive My Cloud one will need to know which version they have. A first generation, v4.x firmware, version who’s P/N number (found on the bottom of the enclosure) ends in “-00”. Or a second generation, v2.x firmware, version who’s P/N number (fond on the bottom of the enclosure) ends in “-10”.

First Gen My Cloud:
Attention - Red SolidT
• Disk thermal warning threshold exceeded (under or over temp)
• Ethernet cable not connected

Fault/action required - Red Solid
• Disk SMART failure
• Data volume does not exist
• System volume does not exist
• System thermal shutdown (75 C)

Second Gen My Cloud:
Attention - Red Blinking
• Disk thermal warning threshold exceeded (under or over temp)
• Ethernet cable not connected

Fault/action required - Red Blinking
• Disk SMART failure
• Data volume does not exist
• System volume does not exist
• System thermal shutdown (75 C)

One can find out more information on what the various LED colors mean by seeing the My Cloud User Manual.

First Gen User Manual: http://products.wdc.com/library/?id=439&type=25&cn=4779-705103&lang=en

Second Gen Second Gen: http://products.wdc.com/library/?id=439&type=25&cn=4779-705147&lang=en

If the My Cloud hard drive is unaccessable due to either hardware failure or firmware failure, one can attempt to access the contents of the hard drive by removing the drive from it’s enclosure and connecting it to a computer running Linux or a Linux driver. From there one can copy off their data and or attempt to fix a corrupted firmware by running one of the various “unbrick” methods that can be found using a forum search (magnifying glass icon upper right). Windows users will need to use a Linux driver to access the My Cloud hard drive when connected directly to the Windows PC using a USB to SATA adapter/docking station or when using a spare SATA port on that Windows PC.